Multiplayer Storyline?

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Ginganx, May 13, 2013.

1. Ginganx

Ginganx Star Wrangler

I couldn't seem to find an answer to this, so I came to the Forums.

From what I know (which isn't much) Starbound has a story-mode and multiplayer mode. But can the main plot of the game be ran through with friends? I understand this may ruin a few moments in the story, but I was just wondering since I never saw this mentioned.

Is this being done? I appreciate any answers. :D

P.S. - How come there isn't an option to post your signature after every post?

2. Feral Inferno

Feral Inferno Aquatic Astronaut

The break down is actually single player and multiplayer
    There is a story-line in-game and it can be completed in multiplayer.

PS: my first ninjad post

Ginganx likes this.
  3. Ginganx

Ginganx Star Wrangler

Awesome! I was hoping if i was in a rut, I could get some buddies to help me. (Once I get some, that is) Thanks! :DD

4. Well Multiplayer is CO-OP, everything on the main game it's in Multiplayer, that's a Must! :lolwut:
    Not sure if there will be incompatibilities, with several people doing the same mission for example. Maybe Story mode is Instanced, Singleplayer instances even inside the server.

Jack Nief and Ginganx like this.
  5. Jack Nief

Jack Nief Phantasmal Quasar

That makes sense, Piggy! It could also be based on the Host's 'Universe' progress, where the story is only as far as the player has advanced.

Bacon likes this.
  6. Feral Inferno

Feral Inferno Aquatic Astronaut

Go to your personal details page, click preferences. There is a check box that says "Show people's signatures with their messages".

KuroHinotori likes this.
  7. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

I don't see the need for instances that wouldn't otherwise be on singleplayer, since you can form parties in multiplayer it's probably whenever a member,, maybe only the leader, of the party accepts a quest every member gets it and they can complete it at the same time.

8. It may be instances there, just thinking about what it was said "you start in your planet race home-world that is being attacked and you must repair your ship to leave" makes me think that in a server that forces you to create new char to enter, you will start in that story-mode intro / tutorial as singleplayer ^^

9. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

I could see why you'd think it'd be an instance, but it's probably just a case of get X, Y, and Z and repair your ship and you start on a normal planet, which on a server would likely be explored and/or inhabited already. It's also been announced that you don't make a new character per server, unless the server is specifically set to only allow new characters and characters created on said server, otherwise you'd just pop in like you do in singleplayer.

10. Sizzle

Sizzle Phantasmal Quasar

The way Saints Row 3 incorporates multiplayer is like how Bacon stated. The host uses their save world and the guests are simply "guests". But how I see the game, from what I understand, it will probably run like how Minecraft's story runs, there will be a storyline there, but it wont be too over the top or linear. It will be more of a sandbox/exploration type game. Sure there will be quests, but they will be mainly for getting new and rarer items. Well, that's how i'd do it anyways. I hope it's not like COD where you can't do other things in the campaign except for the missions. I would imagine it to be more like Borderlands or even Assassins Creed :3

11. Yes I know was talking about the ones who require that. Still a story mode with several people doing the same mission can create issues, it always does, even MMOs with story mode (more deep ones) do instances.
    Unless the Story Mode is a minimalistic NPC and Questy here, Questy there that will not conflict with other players doing at the same time. :rolleyes:

12. Tyuoi

Tyuoi Aquatic Astronaut

I have no friends to play with ;_;

13. PurpleHamsta43

PurpleHamsta43 Star Wrangler

Like halo 4 they had story lines.. Good idea