1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Multiplayer - Join failed! Error connecting to "ip address" port 21025.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by TruffleCocoa, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruffleCocoa

TruffleCocoa Space Hobo

I'm having issues joining a server that my friends created. They can all join, but for some reason I am unable to. Wondering if anyone has any information on whats going on. I updated the game multiple times and it seems like an issue possibly online.

PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU

2. diabola

diabola Big Damn Hero

I have the same problem. Me and my friend can join our own server fine but it would not let us join each other's server. It also said:
    JOIN FAILED! ERROR CONNECTING TO "IP ADDRESS" PORT 21025.

3. ponpat

ponpat Seal Broken

I MIGHT have the same issue. I know how to forward ports etc. When the game came out I hosted a server for me and my friends. It worked. It also worked the day after. then I wasn't able to play until Tuesday. Since then I can not host a connectable server. Even Portscanners tell me that the port isn't open. I AM forwarding, I have resetet my router, changed many settings, closed all other programs, but somehow starbound doesn't want to open the forwarded port. Maybe there was a change which causes issues for just a few people (most people reporting this issue might just not forward their port). If there is any suggestion or anyway how I can help to narrow down this issue, please give me a hint. I am the only one of my friends with internet good enough to be an host. So we didn't play since a few days.

4. Shortyforcs

Shortyforcs Intergalactic Tourist

Go into Steam/steamapps/common/starbound/assets and open up the file called default_configuration.config. The 3rd line down will say "gameport" : #####. Make sure this is the port you are forwarding. Also, make sure it is forwarded in your Windows firewall / Anti-virus software. Also make sure people are using your external IP, unless they are on the same network as you (ie. a roommate/sibling). This is all there really is to hosting/joining a server. If you still have issues, try disabling your Antivirus, or setting it into gamer mode (a feature most AV software has these days).

5. ponpat

ponpat Seal Broken

These are all the things I did. I also changed the port to another, tested another game on the same port, closed all other apps, even tried it with some services not running in the background. From one day to the other it just stoped working for me. And I do not know why. I narrowed the possible issues down to a minimum.

6. ogtripleg87

ogtripleg87 Space Spelunker

Me and my buddy are having the same issue and to avoid port forwarding we decided to use tunngle but he still gets the port 21025 error and he and my other friend all do the exact same steps and one can get in and one can't. Any ideas

7. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

8. AngelDono

AngelDono Void-Bound Voyager

A friend and I are having the same issue. I have to use a different server IP to log into my own server and my ports are all closed apparently. Multiplayer was working fine some days ago, but now my friend can't join me. I have no idea what the issue is. I do have an antivirus program, but it worked fine when I was playing with my friend last week.

9. Drakolth Arkan

Drakolth Arkan Intergalactic Tourist

same problem, offended koala messed up me with servers, cant join any now

10. Takahiro86

Takahiro86 Aquatic Astronaut

It seems like the Culprit Is the Windows Firewall! If you look there you might see the Starbound_server.exe is blocked!
    If this is not the Case... Try editing the Starbound.config with an editor of your choice and look for upnpPortForwarding and change True to False.
    This change somehow speeds up the Server creation and eliminates some starting bugs.

11. Protomaru

Protomaru Intergalactic Tourist

Hello, a Friend and me have the same problem with the Connection, the Message is after all reading and trying still the same and i dont know what's the Problem is.
    Is there something that help ?

Thanks for even trying it.

12. olives003

olives003 Space Spelunker

I am having problems too, we are using hamatchi and it was working fine, I am hosting the server and changed the upnpPortForwarding to false and allowed the Starbound_server.exe through firewall and the wierd thing is that it WAS working we played for a couple hours and I had to restart the server a couple times due to lag, and a little while later it wasn't working. any help would be appreciated.

13. Takahiro86

Takahiro86 Aquatic Astronaut

Sure, we could Help you! But "It wasn't working and a little while later" is a bit vague for my Taste in Information... Cause of that here some Wild Guess(es).
    Maybe the Starbound.config was Changed due to auto update? (and upnpPortForwarding was re-changed to True)
    There could be some Culprit's Informations in the Starbound.log?
    Your Antivirus Program could be Updated and has become Paranoid cause of that its Blocking Starbound_server.exe (without telling it...).

If you are Lucky one of those Guess(es) could solve the Problem.

14. The Lucky Prism Stone

The Lucky Prism Stone Void-Bound Voyager

This happens to me, but honestly...all that me or my friends have to do is KEEP TRYING TO CONNECT and after like the 3rd try it works. I'm using Hamachi, and all I do is disable my firewall :l

15. weirdhuman

weirdhuman Void-Bound Voyager

Same problem. One friend can connect another one cant. I'm using tunngle if that means anything. Disabled UpNp on MY machine and turned off norton completely and the same with firewall. My friend who cant connect turned off his firewall as well. I think windows 8 seems to have a lot of problems with starbound.

A few weeks later I made my one friend who cant connect turn off his upnpAutoPortfowarding and that seemed to do the trick. He can now connect with no lag/problems. Oh and if you have the same problem it might be a good idea to disable upnp for both host and the other players.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  16. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

For me, it happens if I try to re-join a server after losing connection. If I stop for a couple seconds and try again it seems to go away though.

17. Andrek79

Andrek79 Orbital Explorer

I am having the same issue. I am not even hitting my friend's server. What information is generally needed to figure out what the issue is? My Firewall was turned off in an attempt to connect, and still couldn't. I have included the Starbound program and port number in my Windows firewall access list.More than happy to give any information needed to help me figure this out :DI am using Microsoft security essentials as my anti-virus.

18. Nyreen683

Nyreen683 Space Hobo

I do not have this in my assets. And for the life of me I can't connect to a server. Ports check out, the only way to get it to even recognize the server as actually being a server (and always an error) is to select launch server and then input the IP in in the multiplayer window. I think the problem lies in the fact that I seem to be missing files under the assets section. (and I don't fully know what Im doing to begin with).

19. Mlah

Mlah Starship Captain

Well when the only information the error message gives you is join failed vague information is about all you can give. I am currently experiencing the same problem and have hit a wall since we have checked port forwarding firewalls and all the other common issues but without any other indication of the problem its hard to really dig any deeper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.