1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Multiplayer Crash!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by JiGGy73, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JiGGy73

JiGGy73 Intergalactic Tourist

When i try to play with a friend i first Start the Launcher. After joinin the Game and click on my Character it shows me the error and the game will be closed. My friend cn´t join after latest patch! Anyone now how to fix it?

StarException: Could not acquire lock for the universe directory
    004FC733 starbound_opengl.exe
    00AF9B50 starbound_opengl.exe
    004071EE starbound_opengl.exe
    0040A504 starbound_opengl.exe
    00408194 starbound_opengl.exe
    004ED821 starbound_opengl.exe

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please provide your starbound.log. Without this it is even impossible to figure out what causes this problem.

3. danks_

danks_ Existential Complex

How to fix almost all errors, specially when the errors only appear after you have uninstalled a mod or updated the game:
    Delete everything in the universe folder
    Delete everything in the player folder
    Delete starbound.config

4. Try running as administrator. It seems to be a file permissions issue.

Also, if you're running the nightly builds, please make sure you post in the Nightly Build Support forum. There hasn't been a stable patch since April so if your friend is running the nightly, you and/or the server also have to be running the nightly.

5. JiGGy73

Sorry don´t now what u mean with this!?

i tryed this but same error. I dont have installed any mod!

I buyed the game over Steam so i dont now if its the Nightly build!? i run the Update v. Enraged Koala 26/04/2014 / Current beta version: v. Enraged Koala (Update 8)

6. danks_

danks_ Existential Complex

Go to the folder where Starbound is installed (C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound), there should be a bunch of starbound.log files, open the last one with notepad or whatever, post it.

bought

7. Iris Blanche

If you don't know what are the nightly builds i'm pretty sure you don't have enabled this option. ;)

The starbound.log contains information at which point the game crashes. That's why it is very important to provide it so we can see what error exactly occured. In actually case it isn't necessary ( i just overlooked the part with the universe lock <.< )
    I looked over the errormessage you posted again. Just a simple question: When the server is running do you connect over multiplayer? If you're using singleplayer the game crashes because the universe is locked from the server.
    Like Maxwell Demonic said before this is a permission issue.

Ask your friend if he is running the nightly build. If yes he must change to stable build OR you change to nightly build.

8. JiGGy73

i cant upload the log file or copy it... it says URL inside o_O

My friend use the same version than me. A few days before we played together. I started the launcher then started the singleplayer and my friend joined via multiplayer. but since 3 or 4 days the error message appear.

9. Iris Blanche

When you start the server you also need to connect over multiplayer. When the starbound server is running it locks the universe folder. When you try to connect over singleplayer it will definitely crash because the server has the universe already locked. This isn't a bug or a issue after all.

And afaik singleplayer does not start a multiplayer-session. So you must play both over multiplayer. Your friend must connect over your IP and you can connect over "127.0.0.1". This is localhost -> your pc.

So:
    1. Open the launcher -> press "Launch Starbound Server"
    2. Launch Starbound
    3. Press Multiplayer
    4. Select your character
    5. Enter your IP-Adress
    6. Press "join"
    7. Have fun ^.^

10. JiGGy73

I try this and let u now if it worked when my friend is online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.