Announcement Multi Language Open Beta Available

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katzeus, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverlance

Silverlance Void-Bound Voyager

So, what exactly should I do so Chucklefish can use this?

• tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

This is absolutely spot on, thank you for clarifying. It's a subtle distinction, and kinda annoying, but it is an important one. :)

We're looking for *what should be changed*, not *what to change it to*.

• Silverlance

Silverlance Void-Bound Voyager

So, basically, if I delete all my corrections (*siiigh*) and just give you the wrong lines/mark the mistakes, it's fine?

Can I give hints what is wrong? Or is it a guessing game for an obviouly not native language translation team, that made the mistakes in the first place?
        (No offense meant, but they made the mistakes (and not few, obviously), how do you make sure they actually now write the correct sentence/word?)

• the_re4per

the_re4per Space Hobo

Regarding Gamepad interactions:

In previous versions it was possible to cancel textbubbles by pressing the B button on gamepad, for instance, you selected a fruit from your inventory and accidentally press the button to eat it, the textbubble asks you if you are sure you want to and you have to select Yes or No. Previously you could cancel the selection by pressing B, now you have to hover over it and select one by pressing the A button. Please let me just cancel the selection by pressing B, it's intuitive and fairly easy this way.

Now the biggest problem which I experienced is planting crops with the gamepad. In older versions the mouse cursor would vanish temporarily while planting crops, which resulted in a fairly easy way to go row by row, up, down, left or right even diagonal, you simple hold the X button without any problems, this was the best possible way in my opinion. With the beta version your cursor remains on screen whenever you have seeds selected from your inventory. Have you actually tried to plant a huge field this way? It's a nuisance, you have to hover over every tile, keep the cursor close to your character and even then it's not working properly. This is a huge step backwards and should be either reworked or handled like in previous versions.
          My suggestion: As soon as you connect a gamepad, let the mouse cursor vansih and whenever you may need it, make the right stick on gamepad make it reappear, it's that simple, and I think it's the way it was handled in earlier versions

• danielee

danielee Master Chief

原来如此!我都忘了还添了这个。。

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

I think it's fine if you explain why a translation is wrong and how it could be improved, as long as you're not saying "here's the correct translation to use". These examples from your spreadsheet are perfect: "that means the cup is steaming, not the cacao in the cup" or "A corpse is bleich [...] A normal person is "blass" if they are really light skinned".

• danielee

danielee Master Chief

Translation Feedback
                Language: Chinese
                Operating System:
                Windows 10
                Build Version: 1.2.18
                After completing the fish tank bundle, on the cut scene, Junimos said “我们很乐意帮助,毕竟这不是我们自己的房子。。”. I think there is something wrong about this sentence because of the strange logic. Is that an "although"?

• Little Lea

Little Lea Big Damn Hero

This should probably be in giant colorful font in the OP because most everyone has done the opposite. Especially if it's this much of a problem for ya'll. ^^;

• Bix

Bix Void-Bound Voyager

English typo report:

In 'Content\Characters\Dialogue\MarriageDialogueMaru.xnb', the string `fall_3` begins with the text "Fall aways reminds me".

• LordRayden

LordRayden Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe I can remind you about the first post by Chucklefish, which is exactly what all the people in this thread did since page 1. It seems really odd that you change your mind after 21 pages, lol. If you have indeed changed your mind, please update the first post:
                      Translation Feedback
                      Language:
                      Operating System: (i.e - Mac OS X 10.12, Windows 10)
                      Build Version: (on the 'about' screen, should say something like v1.2.x)
                      Which part of the translation do you think is wrong, and why?
                      How do you think it should be fixed, and why?

And about Silverlance work: Like he said, he pointed out a tremendous amount of still very wrong parts of your (!) translation. He sent this in a convenient and well arranged form. And you say you can't use this at all? I don't understand that, he did what everyone else in this thread did, but invested even more effort. @Silverlance Kudos for finding and pointing out that many mistakes still being present in the translation!

I am just a random german player waiting for a polished translation. If you will continue to use our help, which is what you asked for (thank god), this maybe will happen at some point.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
                        untergeher and SergeMorgue like this.
                      • danielee

danielee Master Chief

Translation Feedback
                        Operating System:
                        Windows 10
                        Critical power - "暴击能量" or "暴击加成". "Critical strike" is usually translated into ”暴击“ in most games, and "关键能量” sounds weird.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
                        • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Translation Feedback
                          Language: German
                          Operating System:
                          Windows 10

When Lewis sends you the letter with the spaghetti recipe it says:
                          Ich werfe eines meiner Lieblingsrezepte dazu.
                          I know you can "throw something in" in English, but it doesn`t work that way in German. It literally means throwing the recipe.
                          Since we shall no longer suggest any translations, I hope you can guess the right one.

Attached Files:

• Yolanda_Qingxu

Yolanda_Qingxu Star Wrangler

Bug Feedback
                            Operating System:
                            Windows 7
                            I have 2 Leah and 2 Haley in my game for days. One day I talk to them in front of Jodi's house and they suddenly divided.
                            I'm not sure if it's a bug or due to my mods, but the situation still exist after I remove all of my mod.
                            Image 002.jpg
                            Image 004.jpg

TV tips about fish has some translate problem with fish's name, many of them are different from the fish I actually got in my pocket.
                            Such as in 11 winter.
                            Image 1.png

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
                            • Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Yolanda_Qingxu Your images aren't visible on the forums because poco.cn seems to disable hotlinking. You can paste images directly into your forum post (or attach them), no need to upload them on another site first. :)

Attached Files:

• DerBonk

DerBonk Industrial Terraformer

I just looked into this thread again and it is super sad that these copyright issues prevent Chucklefish from using anyone's suggestions (at least if you adhere to that rule so strictly). I study copyright law (though focused on American law) and from what you are saying it sounds to me as if the only corrections we could give are purely factual in nature (e.g. "Katze" doesn't mean dog, "Hund" means dog). Honestly, even indirect suggestions could be problematic then. The threshold of originality is very low all over the world ("Schöpfungshöhe" exists in basically all jurisdictions) and translations are not automatically below this threshold, especially not "literary translations" which this would mostly be.

Anyway, I was very sad to hear that our German fan translation (I was part of that team) created problems for you. Would it help in any way if we officially licensed the translation under a Creative Commons Attribution license? So commercial use and non-creative commons use would be allowed, we'd just get a shout out and that's that. Could Silverlance do that for their suggestions at least (and future contributors, too, of course)? If the file contained a clear disclaimer that your work is published under CC-by and that you need to add your name to a column in order to be recognized, wouldn't that help?

Other than that, I think you will always run into these problems beta-testing translations. I have not had the time to look into the current translation more, but just from the discussions we had a few pages back, I am disappointed by it. Many things people post here already make it sound as if at least some of these lines were translated very literally. It also robs the game of flavor, the dialog I have seen often is very dry and too straight forward. Anyway, I would hope we can find a solution. Simply listing instances where the translation is not good or not perfect does not sound very effective or helpful for the translators.

untergeher likes this.
                                • Hiraku

Hiraku Space Hobo

Hello! Been playing the Chinese version of the Stardew Valley. There are a few suggestions I would like to make with regard to the translations that I hope will be taken into consideration:

upload_2017-3-26_16-53-43.png

Here if you translate from Chinese back to English, it’ll be read as, “You can tell him you have a reason for scaring away those raccoons”
                                  To better translate “You can tell him you scared off the raccoons for good”, it’s enough to just have Linus say “你可以告訴他那些浣熊已經被你吓跑了”

[​IMG]

“喘气” does mean “gasp”, but it’s rather ambiguous because it can be interpreted as gasping when you’re out of breath. Here, Haley is gasping because she’s surprised. Gasping in the context of surprise or 惊讶 would be more 倒抽一口气. It might be good to consider replacing 喘气 with *倒抽一口气* or *倒抽气* or *惊讶* (*surprised*)

[​IMG]

Here, Linus is saying, “I’m minding my own business.” But, I feel that given the context of the situation, he’s trying to say that he’s not causing anyone any trouble. Even though the translation isn’t wrong (“I’m focusing on my own things.”) I think it’s more appropriate if he says “我可沒在多管閒事” which would also mean “I’m not being meddlesome”

[​IMG]

Here, Haley’s saying, “You will understand my problem” in the sense that you will understand long after this event has transpired.

The original English was, “I bet you’ll understand my point of view here”

It might be better to consider “嘿!我打赌你一定会了解我的看法的!” (I bet you'll understand my point of view) or “嘿!我打赌你一定会站在我这一边的!” (I bet you'll be on my side)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
                                  • Yolanda_Qingxu

Thank you for telling me ,I will repost them

• Yolanda_Qingxu

Bug Feedback
                                      Operating System:
                                      Windows 7
                                      my light can't be turn on(usually the cursor turn to a hand when point it) and have no light in dark.
                                      Image 11.jpg

• danielee

danielee Master Chief

Translation Feedback
                                        Operating System:
                                        Windows 10
                                        upload_2017-3-27_13-53-35.png
                                        This appears after Penny said "有了孩子以后我感觉自己也老了,可能责任更重了", then I guess this " 还行!" means "That's fine!" or "It's okay" ? Then it may be better to translated as "没关系!" in this situation.
                                        upload_2017-3-27_13-58-10.png
                                        Grandpa said "等我第三年在黎明回来" by clicking Grandpa's Shrine. An alternative syntactical translation is "我会在第三年初回来的". "Dawn" shouldn't be directly translated here.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
                                        • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Translation Feedback
                                          Language: German
                                          Operating System:
                                          Windows 10

The wizard bundle is named Verzauberer. This isn't a good translation and I am not sure, if this word even exists.
                                          Hint: Maybe leave out the first three letters.

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.