Announcement Multi Language Open Beta Available

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katzeus, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

We're investigating this issue. We don't have a solution yet, but in the meantime you can try this:
    • In %appdata%\StardewValley\, delete the file called "startup_preferences," then see if your file will load.

To make sure I understand the problem correctly, are you saying that, in the past, you were able to use fullscreen mode with a non-100% zoom level. But after messing with the fullscreen/windowed options, there was a crash, and now you cannot load that file without editing it? Even though the crash occurred before you would have been able to save it?

Sorry, it's quite a complex issue and I want to make sure I 100% understand what you're saying.

v1.2.18 changes
    • Fixed an issue where if you were using a gamepad and used Exit to Title, the cursor could get stuck off-screen.
    • Added translations for the new "use gamepad-style menus" option
    For reference, here are the changes in the previous builds:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    • saladinho

saladinho Tentacle Wrangler

Build Version: 1.2.18
      PT-BR

Sometimes when active a speed buff.

bug d chapel.png

• Bardolvan

Bardolvan Space Spelunker

Please, please fix these.

• Yolanda_Qingxu

Yolanda_Qingxu Star Wrangler

Translation Feedback
          Language: Chinese
          Operating System:
          Windows 7
          Image 005.jpg
          Penny's request. It means "I want a frozen tear put it in a store(我想要一个泪晶放在商店内)."
          There must be some misunderstanding.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
          • Silverlance

Silverlance Void-Bound Voyager

About: GERMAN translation

Hello all!

I wanted to help with the german translation bugs and unpacked the language packs a while ago to go through them instead of trying to run into wrong wording upon chance in the game.
            Because I found/am finding quite some mistakes, I made a google excel sheet to collect everything.

I now want to share it and I would appreciate help in collecting things there and maybe discussing corrections etc.
            I will allow access to alter the file to anyone who asks (by PM is best, it may take a while for me to reply).

PLEASE do only work in the file if you stick to the formatting!

• The present (and right now only) sheet is for the mistakes in the files in the Character/Dialog folder
            • If you want to add something, only do so by adding the string from the code, original first, then the same string with your correction in red
            • If you want to check a new character (I didn't get through all yet), stick to the alphabetical order like I did until now! Maybe someone already wants to make the green dividers for every character, I don't have the time right now.
            • If you want to work in another folder, open a new sheet maybe, but stick to the formatting as it is now! Always copy the complete string in a manner that others can find it easily.
            • When the speech needs to be gendered (regular problem), please find out how to add it correctly in the right code. Just check how it's done in other instances and use your brain ;)
            • The second column with blue text is for comments about the correction. Use if you need to or explain yourself.
            • Do not mess this file up!

The translation team at Chucklefish is very, very welcome to use the file! When adding gendered speech, which was regularly missing, I tried to apply the right code to the string, please do check if it's right. It should be very easy to copy and find everything. Maybe you want to add a column to mark which changes you took over or something?

Here is the file:
            https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vsoca5EnDVZZGlynuaFbmNs16v2IH87mbyZjxa7j2U8/edit?usp=sharing

Right now everyone who has the link can comment.
            To give you access, I will need your email adress. Please write me a comment in the file or a PM, then I will grant you access.

TheRaven81 and untergeher like this.
            • tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

I'm sorry, we can't use this. I know that you want us to, but it's still a copyright nightmare for us to use translations provided by fans. The fact that some fan translations already exist out there already causes us problems, haha. :)

We started the beta with the purpose of finding out which things are mistranslated, and explicitly not to get the community to translate the game for us.

• SergeMorgue

SergeMorgue Tentacle Wrangler

You should have hired translators with a closer experience of the game itself, that is, someone from community (players who experienced the whole Stardew Valley Game).

It's a pity that the official translations are not even close to being as good as those made by fans. :(

TheRaven81 likes this.
                • untergeher

untergeher Void-Bound Voyager

is there any way that the fans give you the (free) permission to use their translations? (fyi: here in germany it would be no problem to use them, cause the've no copyright protection (cause for this protection a translation needs to be in a particular substantial way ("Schöpfungshöhe"))

• TheRaven81

TheRaven81 Pangalactic Porcupine

No offense, but I have to agree with SergeMorgue. You might as well have gotten the fans/community to do it for you, since you already got us helping you here in fixing the mistakes your translators made... And I'm guessing your translators don't play this game either, b/c I think SergeMorgue is right there, too - if they did, if they actually had experience with this game, then there wouldn't have been so many mistakes for us, the fans, to fix.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
                    • sacredbishop

sacredbishop Subatomic Cosmonaut

maybe it would be easier, but if he says there would be copyright problems (or anything) it is for something, and is not the final translation, they were looking for our feedback, if you don't want to help, you don't have to (I'm not saying that is your particular case), the translation is pretty much understandable, they just want to make it better.
                      (What I understand for a beta is the people are part of a beta to help, because is not the complete version, so you give your feedback just to help. If you want the oficial one, just don't enter the beta and wait until the translation is complete then you ca criticize ..... are we still on beta right?)

For Spanish translation I think is a good one (better than the fans one) because it's more neutral than the other.

• untergeher

...and it would be very strange if you would not use the translations proposals from /u/Silverlance, cause the current translation is not really "wrong" if you're only checking the english original and the translation. but if you're playing the game the current translation would sound very strange. she did a great job, so please use it!

• Silverlance

Silverlance Void-Bound Voyager

Heya,

I am not sure I get what you are saying. I did not make any new translation. What you see there is YOUR translation. I just pointed out mistakes/corrected them. What is exactly what you asked us to - you even say so in your reply! -> You wanted mistranslations being pointed out and this is what I did.
                          How is this a copyright issue? Do you mean you are not allowed to alter the (wrong) german the translators gave you?

I'm seriously confused. Why do people point out mistakes here anyway, if you will not correct them? I did nothing else, I just did it in a more orderly fashion.

Again: I did NOT translate anything from english to german.
                          I looked at your german translations - but instead of playing the game and randomly finding them I looked at the source (YOUR source), because that is WAY more efficient.

Please explain - I thought you wanted feedback on YOUR translations and wanted to have feedback on mistakes to correct them. I did exactly that. Maybe you didn't realise what I did? Because, again: I did not translate it myself line by line or something like that. My only changes/corrections are the red parts (which shows were it was what is now new/corrected).

What is the difference between someone posting "Guys, I am on Summer 14 and talked to Abigail and she said something that is wrong in german, here is what she should say: XXXXXXX" and me giving you a file where I post the line of code that Abigail says on summer 14 in german, pointing out there is a mistake and correcting it?

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
                            untergeher likes this.
                          • Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

Don't suggest a fix, is I think the issue. They can't use them, and simply saying "Statement XXXX is wrong because YYYYY." is much easier on them. The way you're suggesting it is a crowdsourced translation correction.

YMMV, though.

• untergeher

yeah, like you said, crowdsourced translation correction. not translation. and a correction suggestion with copyright? come on! is this really an issue in U.K. (Homebase of Chucklefish)? i don't think so...

• Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

Yes. Yes it is. Correction suggestions included are a copyright issue pretty much everywhere.

• untergeher

ok, didn´t know that. :(
                                  [in germany it isn´t that way, cause translations only are under copyright protection if they are made in a specific way ("Schöpfungshöhe", Threshold of originality). and i think it is the same law in the whole EU (the biggest single market of the world)...]

but then, why is this thread existing?

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@untergeher: The thread exists to let players point out translation mistakes, so Chucklefish can ask their translators to make their own corrections. That way players get better translations, and there are no issues with copyright. The threshold of originality does apply if this were challenged in court, but I assume Chucklefish would rather avoid any copyright ambiguities in the first place. :)

• danielee

danielee Master Chief

Translation Feedback
                                      Operating System:
                                      Windows 10
                                      I guess some "favorite thing" strings were not translated. << never mind...
                                      By the way, the grammar of this two sentences sound terrible.
                                      "但奇怪的是,” “你的”

upload_2017-3-23_19-34-21.png

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
                                        Yolanda_Qingxu likes this.
                                      • Yolanda_Qingxu

Translation Feedback
                                        Operating System: Windows 7
                                        1.Emily's 10 heart mail.

Image 16.png
                                        It's the mail from Emily after I got 10 hearts with her. It says "meet me in the secret cabin in woods after 10pm."
                                        But the original text is "Meet me in the secret woods after 10pm."
                                        SO,[森林的秘密屋(secret cabin in woods)]→[秘密森林(secret woods)]

2.Tips form TV about fish in Autumn 22.
                                        Image 15.png

Image 17.png
                                        TV tips in Autumn 22 call walleye fish "鼓眼鱼".But in other place of this game,walleye fish is called "大眼鱼".
                                        I think the TV tips should be improved.
                                        [鼓眼鱼]→[大眼鱼]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
                                        • Yolanda_Qingxu

恍然大悟,原来这个星星果实里的英文是我当初自己写的最喜欢的事...难怪我昨天吃了一颗以后,它说味道让我想起being lazy....我还以为是翻译bug了....

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.