1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Mouse cursor problem in Full Screen

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Juxtor, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

So I "deleted local content" in Steam to re-install the game. Then launched it and selected "Full Screen" mode in the options. The game went full screen, and now my mouse cursor is stuck limited to a smaller region of the screen than is being displayed. It is still moving in an area of the screen with the same aspect ratio of the actual display but I cannot move beyond the invisible borders and therefor can't select any of the buttons.

Is this a game issue? A Windows mouse setting issue? Has anyone else experienced this and corrected it?

Also is there a way to launch the game in a Windowed format again given my inability to click on the OPTIONS button etc.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  2. bexton11

bexton11 Aquatic Astronaut

I have been having a cursor problem as well when i press ctrl it goes to the bottom left side of the screen does yours do that as well or are you not in game when it does it to you?( this is also an attempt to draw attention to this problem so i can play the game :rofl:)

3. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

I re-installed the game and have now been able to play it in a Windowed mode, but I prefer to play in Full screen. I haven't tried pressing CTRL since I tried it out briefly, however.

4. atari_lord

atari_lord Void-Bound Voyager

Has Chucklefish even acknowledged this bug, it seems to be affecting several players. I've skimmed through recent forum posts and it appears this bug came with the full release, and that the only notice it's receiving is from the users experiencing it. I for one would like to be able to enjoy fullscreen but currently cannot because of this issue. I use a steam controller and it is difficult to control the cursor with total precision and the only thing more frustrating than accidentally clicking out of the games window because I can't play in fullscreen is being ignored by the developer when trying to find a solution. I know it's a relatively recent bug, but it would be nice to know if they plan on fixing it or even if they know it exists.

5. KrampeFar

KrampeFar Void-Bound Voyager

Just chiming in to say I am experiencing this bug as well. It works on my iMac, no problem, but on Windows 10 the cursor is restricted to what seems like a lower resolution.

EDIT: I've looked in the config (starbound.config in the steamapps/common/Starbound/storage folder), and when I enable fullscreen @ 1920x1080 the "fullscreenResolution" property is set to 800x600 for some reason. It seems to only be this while the game is running. Quitting resets it to 1920x1080.

A temporary solution is to manually set the resolution in the config to 1280x720 (on a 16:9 monitor) and zoom-level 2. The in-game GUI is huge, but I can live with that until they fix the bug.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  6. atari_lord

awesome, i will share this on the steam forums
    --- Post updated ---
    It won't let me change it, whenever I adjust the config and open the game, it changes either fullscreen to false or resolution back to 800x600. Can't seem to find a way to make it work, would really love Chucklefish to show some support here. I know there are always bugs when a game finally releases, but it was in beta for such a long time just so things like this didn't make the full release.

7. KrampeFar

KrampeFar Void-Bound Voyager

Hmm weird...
    I don't remember if I did things in a certain order, ie. enabling fullscreen ingame, quitting, setting resolution in the config...
    Are you setting the resolution to 1280x720 in the config? As far as I can tell it only resets to 800x600 if I try 1920x1080 specifically. Maybe it varies from system to system (although that would be even weirder).

Just for good measure: make sure you don't accidentally delete the brackets [] and comma signs in the config. I imagine a non-valid format will prompt the game to omit the changes. And of course remember to save the changes ;)

EDIT: Okay, actually I wasn't entirely correct in my first post. I just tried my suggested method again, and indeed the game still temporarily sets the resolution in the config to 800x600. But I don't actually think it's playing in 800x600 even though that's what it says. It still works for me though.

So to reiterate what works for me:
    1. set "fullscreen" to true in config
    2. set "fullscreenResolution" to 1280x720 in config
    3. start game, and don't touch the resolution settings ingame. Ignore the fact that the config is changed to 800x600, it changes back when I quit to Windows (I'm starting the game through Steam, don't know if that has any effect on how the game decides to overwrite the config)
    4. enjoy game while cursing at the the gigantic GUI

Hope it works for ya'll!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  8. atari_lord

unfortunately it did not work, my cursor is still boxed in

9. diepvriezer

diepvriezer Space Hobo

Hi guys, I've just started playing again and had the same issue. Figured the cause might be my recent DPI changes, resetting this to 100% fixes the issue for me. Are you guys on 125% by chance? You can check this under Display Settings in Win10.

10. Evanonian

Evanonian Space Hobo

I just wanted to confirm what diepvriezer said, I think it's more of an issue with Windows 10 and your DPI settings than it is Starbound itself. My monitors are in storage during a move so I'm using a 40" television and I have to have my DPI at 150% or Windows text just looks blurry. If you're stuck on a higher DPI like me the solution is simple...

Navigate to your steamapps folder:

64 Bit:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64 (This may be different for you)

32 Bit:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32 (This may be different for you)

Right Click 'starbound.exe' go to compatibility and disable scaling on high DPI settings.

[​IMG]

And voila, it's fixed!

Rakhi321 likes this.
  11. Rakhi321

Rakhi321 Space Hobo

Thanks! It works!