Most recent Spring Y1 min/maxing results (128 sprinklers, 166k g) + question about community here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PrincessBubblegum, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Fine, sounds like a bug. But XP for kale works as promised. My experience has been that even with scythe harvest mods xp is awarded correctly. Either way, if you check the OPs vids he quite obviously did make level 6 farming, harvesting, primarily kale. :D
    <long pause>
    Just slept a new test farmer through spring. Summer 1 planted 18 wheat. Summer 5 harvested 18 wheat for 108 xp(6 per), leveled up. Not sure what you're seeing.

One More Day likes this.
    • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

That's only if every single plant comes up gold. That's not going to be even close to true

For every 100 kale seeds you plant you harvest 100 kale. But bonus potatoes mean that for every 100 potato seeds you plant, you get 125 potatoes

Not including the 10% tiller perk, or getting higher quality faster with kale because more XP per plant, both of which admittedly will tilt it slightly back to kale, but not enough, here's the basic numbers, investing 7,000g on day 6

100 Kale = 7,000g invested = 100 kale harvested = 11,000g earned
      140 Potatoes = 7,000g invested = ~175 harvested = ~14,000g earned

CBA to work out the little extra for kale with quality and tiller, but it's going to come out about 25% extra for potatoes with the same investment.

Also, with whatever funds you have on day 6, you can buy more potential XP for the same money too. With that same 7,000g you can "buy" 1,700 XP in kale or you can "buy" 1,960 XP in potatoes (btw, this is another reason I like scarecrows, the certainty). The downside is of course a bit more watering for two days, but if you don't have enough money on day 6 for all the XP for farming 6 then with potatoes you don't need as many parsnips on day 8. Again at the initial 7,000g, that's 33 fewer parsnips you don't need, so then we're mostly only talking 7 extra plots, and for the extra money, I think it's well worth it.

• PrincessBubblegum

PrincessBubblegum Master Chief

I definitely was getting XP for Kale. 100% sure about that. I couldn't have hit lvl6 farming when I did without it.

Yeah, I think you guys are right about potatoes being better. Kale looked appealing because fewer Kale plants means less watering. But the extra money is definitely better because that's more Strawberries that I could buy. I recently switched to Kale, but I'm switching back. Thank you for showing me the math.

I started a new save file (playing on the one I posted in OP which is through the first week of Summer, and a new one, so I don't burn out focusing on one save). The new file will include mushroom floor farming. I want to compare the two strategies and see just how much of an impact it has. The first 3 days I've played on this save were incredibly lucky. Like my best 3 days I believe, out of all my saves. Day1 had a ton of forageables. Day2: A bubble while fishing that lasted 6-ish hours I think. Day3: A diamond and 2 aquamarine from a chest before Willy's shop opened which I sold to Clint immediatly, and then 2 emeralds in another chest. And then 9 catfish I caught that day because my fishing lvl was so high from Day2. I think this might be "the run." Getting a Gold Clock before the end of Y1 sounds like a fun goal that may or may not be possible.

Thanks though, I'll start planting potatoes again.

ShneekeyTheLost likes this.
        • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I guess that's why they call me the man with the iridium calculator, I can crunch darn near any numbers you want.

Good luck on the PB pace!

• PrincessBubblegum

PrincessBubblegum Master Chief

Thanks, I appreciate it :) 401 Strawberries bought, so it's going well so far. https://upload.farm/1Gmv0R

One More Day likes this.
            • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Well, this whole thread, and just incorporating a couple of little things from it into my schedule, just set the bar so much higher for me, and made spring a whole new bundle of fun. Thanks @PrincessBubblegum

I still have almost zero chance of catching catfish on day 3 (one single day 3 catfish caught total in two separate runs), I still can't seem to grind ore like you can, and I still have to water at least some strawberries for the first three or four days, which means I do still need a copper can, so I doubt I'll ever consider 400 strawberries. I also simply cannot contemplate going beyond day 4 without the backpack upgrade.

But in this second run, with three days still to go, I've just equalled my sprinkler PB of 75; I'm actually using 53 of them to cover 300 strawberries plus a few other things that will get me to Farming 10 before the end of the month, and I already have enough bars smelted for another 22 right now, so I might get to 100 if I'm lucky, but coal is probably going to be the main issue. The minecarts were repaired about day 22 because I simply couldn't find a fire quartz until then, although I found a lot after, which helped with refined quartz. I've also managed to get five ancient seeds in the ground (which is massively lucky). And I have a steel axe due back tomorrow, because I don't have anywhere near enough space cleared or acorns planted yet, so hopefully the steel axe will help with that on the last day, when I probably won't be doing any mining. I'll probably get a copper hoe on day 27 to make summer 1 planting that little bit easier, because I'll have more sprinklers than I'll have spaces tilled to receive them.

• squigglyruth

squigglyruth Pangalactic Porcupine

I thought I had Spring fairly sewn up until I read this thread!

One More Day likes this.
                • blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

Thanks for posting that. It's very interesting to me.

In the past, I've been getting my first set of sprinklers up and running for the first day of summer, and I considered that to be very fast. But you've shown that you can get everything running by the 14th of spring. That's achieving basically the same thing in half the time. I see now that I was prioritizing foraging stuff too much too early. I would get the beach bridge in the first week; I got the double-forage perk in time for salmon-berry season; and getting a full set of lightning rods for the start of summer. ...

I don't try to maximise gold, but I do generally try to achieve 'everything' in the first year. As in, complete community center, all fish caught (including the legend in the first spring), all items shipped, all relationships maxed, all reciepies cooked, etc. Getting it all in year one require a bit of luck (mostly for the artifacts and for getting the red-cabbage from the cart), so I haven't achieved that yet. But obviously there's a lot that can be done to maximise the chance of success (eg. check the cart every time its in town; get the treasure-chest fishing perk and spend time fishing for artifacts, etc.)

I'm not totally a min-maxer, but I do like to aim for high efficiency. In your videos, you don't buy the bag upgrade for _ages_, and you use very few chests, and you don't talk to villagers even if they are directly in your path... that's the kind of 'min' stuff that is different to how I usually play. In my previous games I've spent a heap of time chopping trees - and so I'd prioritise the axe upgrades. I build a lot of chests because I'm a bit of a hoarder. (eg. I don't return Robin's axe. Instead, I keep it in a trophy case.) But having watched some of your videos, I'm thinking that I'd probably be better off delaying all the chopping and foraging, and instead focusing on getting sprinklers for strawberries like you do. If I can do that, then I can use the second half of spring for chopping and building and whatever else I need to do. Salmonberries probably aren't worth the time to collect anyway, even with the double-forage perk. I guess the main concern for me is that if I don't play quite as efficiently as you, then I might fall short of getting enough gold for the seeds required for farming xp in time for strawberries. I guess I'll just try it and see what happens.

[edit]
                  By the way, although potatoes are a bit more efficient in terms of gold cost - they are slightly less efficient in terms of time cost (planting and watering). If I have enough gold, I'm going to go for Kale - so that I can spend less time planting, watering, and harvesting - and thus have more time to spend in the mines.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
                  • Black Market Beagle

Black Market Beagle Tentacle Wrangler

Will you be posting videos from one or both? I'm really enjoying watching them. (And I was sick last week so it was sort of peaceful to just lie there and watch you mine.) I'm trying to alternate styles of play. I think my very first playthrough where I didn't know anything and took forever while discovering it was the most fun, but now that I've seen the min/max possibilities, there's a part of me that isn't satisfied if I'm not trying for those kinds of efficiencies at least to some extent. And it makes a big difference to actually see the choices you're making.

• WildServal

WildServal Void-Bound Voyager

Wow, that's just amazing. I couldn't even imagine that THAT amount of gold is even possible in Y1Spr1... I'm trying my min/max run currently, and I'm entirely shocked. I definetely need to change my strategy a bit I guess. Now I'm getting ready for day 5, and I already have ~40k gold from fishing (level 10 already, with 50% more price) durung days 2-4. This should be enough to make tools and backpack upgrade. I did come with the idea that you should have furnaces (and charcoal kilns) in the mines both with 1-2 chests. I got lucky to get 2 ancient seed during fishing as well as a bit of copper so that I could start making furnaces during 5th day already.
                      I also record the process (although I do it for my small russian channel) with commentaries and montage. No add-ons of course (except for some interface tweaks). And I'll definetely stick to this thread so that I can learn something new.
                      Wow. I'm amazed. The biggest wonder for me now is how I should manage kegs and jars as well as making so many sprinklers. I remember I made my first million at the end of summer when I tried to make semi-optimal run to test some things (before 1.3, last summer I guess), but now I want to go "try-hard" and get as effectice as it's possible.

So, is it optimal to spend days 2-4 on fishing? Me personally didn't think of anything better. What should I focus on firstly? Where is the guide on Reddit you're referring to?

• ShneekeyTheLost

Optimally, it's entirely worth your while to fish from Day 2 all the way to when the Mines unlock, as you can make more money fishing than any other activity during that period. The only reason you want to stop when the mine opens is that you want to hit gold as fast as you can for your Quality Sprinklers. You do want to make sure to have a substantial quantity of Cauliflower planted by the 14th, plus as many Strawberries as you can obtain at the Egg Festival, and fill up the rest of your crop plot with either Kale or Potatoes.

DO, however, plant those Ancient Seeds before the 6th. You'll run away with 14 ancient fruit by the end of Fall, which you can cycle through a Seed Maker (once they unlock) to get a MASSIVE jump start on your Greenhouse.

• WildServal

ShneekeyTheLost
                          I did plan to plant ancient seeds as soon as I get at least one Scarecrow, and yes, that's some great luck upon me.
                          Speaking of EXP and so on.

In general, my plan was to go through community center, not joja. Maybe it's not that effective, but I like this idea more. I didn't have much to deal with on Day 1 (did find an artifact and 2 spring bundles which I decided to plant on Day 2) so I didn't have a lot of potatoes. Then I had 3 days of fishing and all my energy went for that so I didn't expand my field a lot except for 9 cauliflowers from the museum and 1 green bean for CC on day 3 and 2 respectively). So it turns out that now I'm kinda short on farming experience. Or it is still fine and I'll be able to get quality sprinklers soon?

Next is mining. I've heard that in 1.3 it became a bit worse in terms of ore mining, so it might be an issue. I'm also not sure how fast I'll be able to proceed and how many resources I'll be able to get out. Although I'm sure that I'll get a 2nd upgrade for my Backpack so that I can collect as much stuff as possible. I also chose mushrooms above fruit bats as they give better instant value in my opinion (I need them for energy first and foremost). Is it a good idea to stack on food from Gus for mining? How much should I plant now on day 5 when Parsnips are ready and I can afford to spend money on new crops?

I can upload a save-file if there is a need for better advising.

Edit:
                          And one more question: should I stack on Rare Seeds right away? There are 5 availiable right now an day 5, so it might be a good idea to buy them. Or not?

Speaking of experience.
                          I guess that I can hit lvl 6 by 13th of Spring and learn how to make quality sprinklers. The thing is that I will need ~350 energy per day to just water all that... Not sure it worth it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
                          • Magzie

Magzie Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ok so quick Question. First not a Min/max guy just love playing. Why push for gold levels? Now I know you want gold for Sprinklers so I am not asking why you need gold. Just that level 7 mining let's you convert iron to gold. I mean it is 2 to 1 gold. Are people hitting gold floors before mining level 7? I mean I just farm the iron floors till I hit 7 then convert what I need when I need gold. I know you need Sprinklers by the end of spring. I need to start doing Min/max runs I think to understand more arguments on that side of gameplay...

• WildServal

IMO, you need to hit floors with new ore ASAP. Yes, you spend more energy on hitting rocks and mining ore because your pickaxe is not strong enough, but after you get enough ore for upgrades, it's an easy deal to mine as much as you possibly can. I remember that in one of my runs I hit golden floors not even having level 5 in mining. Mind the fact, that you can mine BOTH iron and gold, but on gold levels you get Magma Geodes, that not only contain higher quality gems, but also can give you iridium ore. And that's probably the number one reason to get to gold levels ASAP.
                              At least that's how I understand that.

• Magzie

I always just bought the Geodes from the desert for Iridium so I never really worried about Geodes from the mines. Of course I always play on the Joja side as well.

• WildServal

Made some calculations.

It seems that my 43k I've got up to day 5 is just what I need.
                                  So, I need to save up at least 17500 (10k for Backpack, 2500 for copper pick, 5000 for iron pick).
                                  Next I need to buy 175 kale seeds that will cost 12550 that will provide me enough experience on day 12 with at least 19250 gold income. Which is more than enough to fill the field with straberries.
                                  The thing is that I need salad for that (and for mining). Approximately 5 per day should be enough (550 energy, 350 needed for watering), which costs 7700 for 7 days.
                                  This leaves me with 6227 gold for unexpected (unplanned) costs.
                                  So, the only question is will I be able to mine all the gold, iron and quarts I need for the sprinklers. Now that I think about it, 25 sprinklers (for 200 strawberries) is not that much. I definetely can achieve that.
                                  Other than that I probably should start stacking up oak resin and wood for coal that I want to use to make jars and kegs. I like jars as they are fast. And they work perfectlly with Kale as well.

And making that many sprinklers AND strawberries will give me more than enough time to enjoy mining to get prepared for summer.

I think this strategy seems okay. Thank you for the tips, all of you, btw. I guess I'll try this out. And I'll gladly read your comments.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Because you can hit gold levels FAR faster than you can hit Mining 7. And you need your iron for your kegs, so converting iron into gold is counterproductive.

• Magzie

So if I test this one how many Sprinklers on average do most Min/max runs try for by the 12th?

• ShneekeyTheLost

As many as you can? I typically try for at least 20 or 40 by the end of Spring so I can get my Hops going in full swing.

• Magzie

So if I do two runs pushing for 40 by the need of spring. That means on the iron run I would need 120 iron plus level 7 mining. And then for the gold run I would only need 40 iron and 40 gold not including the other ingredients. Which maps do you peeps use for your runs. I know one of the guides I read said there where 3 compatible but don't see where it said which 3. I assume the reg one and the Wilderness farms? Also I will start a thread of my own after this question cause I don't want to highjack this one with random noob questions.