more precise release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ark626, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Leth

Leth Risk of Rain & Wanderlust

Yes. We're keenly aware of the state of indie gaming and do not want to be associated with the Early Access craze going on. We believe that (with few exceptions) game developers ought to finish their games before they start asking for money from customers.

• Zody

Zody Weight of the Sky

Fair enough. The timescales involved here don't make complete sense to me, but I guess it's not my place to question your scheduling. I would however make a cautions recommendation that it perhaps could be a good idea to update the official blog to convey a more recent image the current state of affairs. Announcements buried in several months of Twitter history are not exactly a readily available source of information.

Operating under the assumption that I am one of the titular "guys" I urge you to re-read my post and make note that it in no way entails any demands for the game to be released or for the pace of work to change. It was a request for clarification on the cause of the divergence of timetables. 5 months is generally not considered a short time and there isn't exactly a plethora of information available on the subject of development progression.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
      • Aey

Aey Pangalactic Porcupine

Zody:
        All of your arguments make perfect sense. However, the tone of your posts comes across as dissatisfied and argumentative. I'm not sure if this is because you work in a corporate environment and a very professional, high-collar communication method is just your habit, or what. The tone of your posts simply, and pretty obviously, gets folks' backs up. While the devs have given you what answers they're able to, generally people are more amenable to working with others who put them at their ease.

I don't mean to cause offense, but perhaps adopting a more casual style while framing your posts would net the information you're looking for more easily, with less of the "My god, it's like pulling teeth!" feeling.

I do understand where you're coming from, there are a few games I want to just throw my money at already that seem to have fallen off the grid for the time being. I almost wish publishing companies would keep a lid on it until it's ready for release. "Look at this tasty morsel! Doesn't it look delicious?! Well, we're still measuring ingredients out so neener neener!"

• Leth

We mostly relay information through our broadcasts. Mine is www.twitch.tv/Leth

• WatcherCCG

WatcherCCG Giant Laser Beams

Not everyone checks Twitch daily for this sort of thing. I kinda agree with Zody that the blog could use an update. Granted, that you use Twitch is completely awesome and I have nothing but respect for that kind of transparency, but some folks prefer more... static means of getting info.

• Leth

That's a fair point. We're stretched a bit thin at the moment but I'll keep this in mind.

WatcherCCG and Hadies237 like this.
              • ark626

ark626 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay is there now any source of information for the progress about the game?
                I dont want to sound like a whiner but delaying the release is one thing, but currently all the fans are a little in the dark about the progress if im correct, and it would be nice if anyone would have some blog which is somehow up to date, so we see where the progress leads and whats happening.

If we see whats happening it is somehow easier to understand why the release takes longer, and also it would be easier to accept the fact, the release is being delayed

• d2king10

d2king10 Guest

A development update at this stage is almost pointless. Any NEW content we are adding, we want to keep secret so players don't have the whole game spoiled, and updating a blog regarding bug fixes is a bit pointless until the game is actually out.

Not to mention keeping the blog up-to-date takes a lot of time that we have been pouring into developing Wanderlust Adventures.

One of the big reasons we didn't do a Kickstarter or Early Access is to avoid situations where we feel pressured to release the game to the people who already bought in. The game is coming, but I don't believe we have put ourselves in a situation where we must hurry up and release the game or we lose a fanbase. I would rather y'all be irritated that we are trying to get the release just right, rather than release it and disappoint everyone.

• WatcherCCG

Fair enough, I suppose.

I don't think we're gonna get anything out of them, folks. May as well move on til they're ready.

• ark626

ark626 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There are certaily different marketing styles and the devs of Wanderlust rather spreading infos than keeping the game secret till its finished, meaning if the game is ready its ready :D

Thats not a bad idea actually in a time when very often we get into betas and early access titles and simply LOSE the fun of the game cause of an unfinished or unpolished game.

There is a huge amount of players that simply dont understand the early access concept (looking at some Starbound Players).
                      So i fully understand this way of marketing, also if there is a form to apply for a beta sometime in the future ill apply to it.

If you guys there need a cool 2D game to play till Wanderlust Adventures is released try:

• Secrets of Grindea (beta and free Demo) (RPG) (Multiplayer)
                      • Cross-Code (free Demo) (RPG) (Singleplayer)
                      • Starbound (beta) (RPG Building) (Multiplayer)
                      • Wanderlust Rebirth (fully released) (RPG) (Multiplayer)
                      • Gunpoint (fully released) (Stealth Spy) (Singleplayer)
                      • Hammerwatch (fully released) (RPG Dungeon) (Multiplayer)
                      • Terraria (fully released) (RPG Building) (Multiplayer)
                      • Lenna's Inception (beta) (RPG) (Singleplayer)

They are all great 2D Games to play. Thats how i handle the waitingtime, cause there are so many great games that there is no need
                      putting preassure on the devs of one game.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
                        Leth likes this.
                      • Donutseeds

Donutseeds Space Hobo

Last I heard, you were hoping to get the Beta started by March. Any updates on that?
                        Btw, the game looks awesome; keep up the good work!

• Leth

We're still hard at work on the game. It is certainly getting closer to Beta! =)

March is the hope but sometimes life gets in the way. It's really close now though. You guys will be the first to know when we hit pre-beta (all the content is done and we're bug-fixing/polishing prior to selling the Beta).

• WatcherCCG

I guess that's as good as we can get from you, Leth. Least you've been courteous enough to tell us you're close. Thanks for that.

• Leth

It's tough to say concrete things when there are moving parts still settling. We won't have a release date until the game is essentially done. I imagine this is how most professional studios operate.

Once the game is complete (and relatively bug-free), we'll set a release date and focus on marketing until that date is reached.