1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed More lag victims.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Ixziga, Dec 12, 2013.

?

How big of a problem is in-game lag?

1. The biggest barrier to playing the game at the moment

64.4%
  2. Not the biggest problem, but one that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later

25.7%
  3. A small problem, but there are many more pressing issues

8.9%
  4. Not a problem at all. No optimizations are necessary.

1.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

I understand some of why they'd want to optimize after balance, but supplying quality/CPU-heavy reduction options early doesn't seem harmful to me at all.. I keep begging for it everywhere I go (on these forums :> ) Most games I've followed development on generally optimize along the way, as things come up or are noticed (or cause evil problems for lots of people..)

I hate to be the guy that says whiny entitled crap, but I wouldn't mind at least a small acknowledgement of the problem, or even a re-issued statement concerning thoughts on all optimization being handled in "phase 2" from the coding devs :p If they truly can't be swayed into trying to fix some of this early I'd like to save my fingers some crusade-typing ;)

2. Kobting

Kobting Space Penguin Leader

The thing is none of them respond to anything on the forums about all of the fps issues. They don't respond to any posts about the fps problems. We're all just left in the dark about what they are planning to do about it. Yes, it does say in phase 2 that they are going to work on optimization, but that was before the beta was released and before all of the people with fps problems. I'd just like to know what they are planning to do about it and when.

3. The Alien Way

Honestly, when a dev is on the forums I click into their profile to see what thread they're actively looking at (and responding to) and so far its been the Modding section almost every time.. Can even go now and look through their forum activities.. :p

4. YoKid

YoKid Poptop Tamer

Yeah, I don't get the order. If more people could play the beta, there would be more people who could find and report bugs and report about too strong/weak features for balance purposes.

5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

olny in villages
    60 fps everywere else

6. Keruptis

Keruptis Space Spelunker

Processor : AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2 GHz
    RAM : 16 GB
    GPU : ATI Radeon 6800 series (latest drivers)

Does not seem to be graphics related, change of resolution/ zoom level/ or gpu settings makes zero difference

major lag everywhere, except main starting screen, since latest update Dec 15 2013 .

7. Battle Attitude

Battle Attitude Master Chief

Hey, i use the same system as you and i also have heavy lags.

8. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Void-Bound Voyager

I'm no developer, but as far as I'm aware optimization is usually one of the last stages of the development cycle, so it's not backwards at all.

I'm playing this on a really bad PC, running a Pentium D here, haha. The game doesn't play perfect, but it's more than playable(for me). I played a little bit on some multiplayer, and it actually runs significantly better. I guess it's because the server was handling stuff for my crappy computer? I don't know. I look forward to when optimization starts.

9. Rivinhal

Rivinhal Star Wrangler

It really isn't afaik. Maybe in Indie dev cycles it is, but what I've learned from numerous rounds beta-testing a number of different games is that optimization comes first, balance 2nd, and then "overall" bug fixing (making sure everything ties together, etc.) last.

I mean to me, it doesn't matter either way (because I just got a new laptop and every game I've tried to play, including Starbound, has ran amazingly on it) but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me from a testing perspective to worry about balance first when a lot of people can't test the changes. Idk.

The Alien Way likes this.
  10. The Alien Way

11. Ruko

Ruko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My lag as far as gameplay/FPS goes is not terrible, HOWEVER, I very very frequently hit large blocks of unloaded world as I'm travelling, both on server and offline play.

12. matthieu

matthieu Astral Cartographer

i'm having the same problem....
    i can run lots of great games and mmorpg without problems,
    but starbound is really slow when in a dungeon or a village :(
    even rain makes me lag lol

Plutocracy likes this.
  13. Doodlydoodlydoo

Doodlydoodlydoo Space Hobo

14. nightarix

nightarix Subatomic Cosmonaut

it's weird that works, as it involves removing the old compatibility settings for steam.exe, and doesn't appear to touch any of starbound's files/registry entries. (though i didn't have lag issues so i guess i don't have that file anyways?)

15. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

In a case where Steam is elevated, any processes it launches (i.e. Starbound) will automatically be elevated.

16. deadonarrival

deadonarrival Intergalactic Tourist

I am having framerate issues with Starbound as well but never with Terraria, it might be time to update your pc.

17. The Alien Way

My problem with Terraria is something they changed with the way background images transition (or the way they alter the lighting when they transition, maybe..) :wut: Not sure, but they just hired on new people to the staff yesterday or day before, one of which is somewhat focused on further optimization, so Terraria's future is looking pretty bright, and in turn I am pretty damn excited :> Long as they don't up the graphics or lighting quality more, anyway :wut: My laptop is fairly awful, but it can play it fine enough.. Seriously considering begging on the local Craigslist for a 3-5 year old desktop with dedicated graphics for free or dirty cheap (VERY cheap)..

I should match my ambition to my gainful resources, which are non-existent :>

18. Battle Attitude

Battle Attitude Master Chief

Did not worked for me first, but now when they realised the the diagnostic-feature, i changed up a few things and now its running flawlessly (not forgetting the point its a beta). Anyways thank you :)

19. Foxboy

Foxboy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

same here me and 7 friends have decked out rigs but its unplayable. we found out the ones running dual cores and older systems are able to play the game with 0 trouble at 60 fps. anyone who has something not 3-4 years old on our end cant play the game at all getting 10 and something 5 fps. we all had the game pre-ordered and we been telling ALOT of people to just wait to buy the game until they see it at the next phase of beta. I am sure more then just us are warning folk of the issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.