More involvement with your significant other.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Northlander72, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Northlander72

Northlander72 Space Hobo

When I first started playing the game some few years ago, I sort of had my heart set on Leah, since I tended to see her often because I would walk around the forest south of the farm area for stuff. (And she was an artisté too.) However, as I got around to know the girls a bit better, Abigail would eventually win me over with her fantasy nerdery and sense of adventure and... well, in the end I married her. And it wouldn't take me long to wish I could take her with me into the caves. Or she could ask me to come with her on one of her adventurous stints that she sometimes does.

So that's my requests: make the people you marry more than someone you hug each morning, and who sometimes give you food or do part of your chores for you. Like... I would actually love to have Abigail with me as I go into the dungeon. You could decide whether to stick together or split up to cover more ground faster, and it would also function as a kind of safety buffer if one of you ran out of energy. And you can set her inventory and get her better gear. If you're feeling particularly ambitious, she'd also have sort of a courage meter, where she grows more confident about adventuring the more she does it. (Seeing as one of her heart events was of her being too scared to go down there -- which she obviously conquered since she brought me loot once I married her.)

This should also extend to the others, depending on their personal interests. Like... Haley likes photographs, so maybe have her ask you to come on more photographic sessions like the one you do in one of her heart events, and her corner in your home would have a photograph album you could look through whenever you wanted to, that would gradually fill with the same kind of images you saw in that event as you progress in the game. If you marry Maru, she would give you some bonus benefits when you want something crafted, and in return, she would ask you to get her various metals or other raw materials. If you marry Leah, you would have access to a wider selection of art to put in your home, and again, you'd basically be providing her with stuff and sometimes go with her on her inspirational trips. Or even having her ask you to stand still through half a day if she felt like making a portrait of you. You could play some sports with Sam. You could go on bike trips with Sebastian, or help Harvey come up with better first aid gear that would in return aid you if you're into dungeoneering.

I know this sounds like a laundry list of potential things your spouse could provide, which is sort of a cynical way to look at marriage, but my main point is that you would have the oppportunity to do something with your significant other that makes it feel like something changed when you marry them. Not that they're just... there.

Someone suggested the same for any potential kids you have. I mean... Skyrim lets you play tag or hide and seek with them, and while it's an utterly pointless mechanic that doesn't earn you anything in particular, it's also freaking adorable. And yes, I've done that. I mean... at least let them grow up to be sort of sentinent kids -- it would be kind of weird if they grew up as adults, since other kids like Vincent or Jas... well, don't.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i like this idea, having more to do with your husband/wife
      i always like the extra's, but think "oh yeah, talk, then dungeon, crops, fishing (now with mod/cheat, as i suck at it normally), questing, foraging etc.

i use a few mods, and 1 is 2x the length of the day (can change, but its enough), so doing the dungeons and other stuff (even can give birthday gifts easily now) would be more fun, if the spouse you married does more than standing and sometimes giving something

i'm not one to have kids (really wish for a "never get asked for kids" option), but i have seen a suggestion i like about your kids ingame before, which makes kids do chores for some money, the more they do, the more you pay

real nice start of a suggestion here :)

• MacMakoShark

MacMakoShark Poptop Tamer

I feel that, while the npc's are really interesting and wonderful, we dont really get to interact with them as much as I would like. Having extra cutscenes or events for spouses would be a sweet addition to not only know more about the character but also just love them more. It would encourage people to go through the game multiple times to see what each spouse is really like and just get to enjoy everything! I think if they added like special anniversary events that would be sweet, or perhaps just have more immersive dialogue with your S/O besides the same lines they spew out at you.
        Also, the kids being more useful or just...more interactable would be fantastic. I remember in an old harvest moon I ADORED you could chase around your little tot and play with them in the town, and that was so absolutely sweet and fun to do! Also seeing events with kids and spouses would be fantastic!
        It would also be neat if like, as one of Sam and Shane's events you have the option of having a sweet sort of sleepover event with Vincent or Jas where you watch them for a night. A lot of my fondest memories are spending the night at a relatives, and i think something like that would add some more character to all those npcs.

Even if they dont do all that, I feel like certain marriage lives should be more closely looked into as they seem out of character for the npcs (and i know theres mods that attempt to remedy this.) A good example of this is that Shane goes back to drinking beer quite often when you marry him, when while youre getting heart events he states that hes trying to cut back and drink seltzer water instead. As a recovering addict myself, I feel its a bit harmful to just have him...ignore that. Sure, maybe once a season would be ok, but he does it every week. Some of the canidates also just give up their dreams (like sam) in order to live with you and I feel thats just...out of character for them.

This is just all my opinion though, but I think these would be some really good additions and encourage people to invest themselves in the town more.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i agree with you, maybe they can make some quests for them
          like a piece of paper they drop at the floor (or outside, if you have your house filled up) where they ask you to do something

and about Shane, that sounds dark, him going drink again.... and Sam giving up his dreams? hmm, also no fun to know
          i use a mod which makes all male spouses female, but mostly same dialogue and story.... Sam is the first one i'm gonna get, too bad i know whats gonna happen now, haha (no problem, i'd see it eventually anyway)