NPC More Advance Features on Crews, NPCs, and Others

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Daikon Ocelot, Jul 19, 2018.

?

Do you agree with this kind of features?

1. Hell yeah! I agree with this.

41 vote(s)
    93.2%
  2. I agree, but with some changes.

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. No way, man! This features really sucks.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't care. I am not interested.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Hello, everybody!

I have been thinking about some aspects in Starbound. I think their too basic and simple.

So here are some suggestion about them, that I hope will be available in the game. Because I believe it can enhance the game quite a lot. :)

Idea about crews:
    • Enable us to customize the crew's weapon, their primary and secondary weapon, so we can arm them with rocket launcher, assault rifle, or any weapon we want.
    • Enable us to customize the crew's outfit color, so their color doesn't have to be depend by their profession, we can change it the way we want, just like we change our character outfit.
    • To know what profession they are, maybe we can use their name tag instead. Example: Tostig (Soldier), Hopenail (Engineer), Hiro (Medic), and so on. Or... by giving an icon or symbol above them that represent their profession.
    • Enable us to customize each crew, so we don't have to customize them uniformly, but one by one instead, individually to be precise. Therefore, they can have different outfit, outfit color, and weapon. But there will also be an option, where we can change it uniformly, but only for the outfit and outfit color, not the weapon.
    • It is better if we put the crew customization features through the S.A.I.L. interface instead, and not through the tailor.
    • The way of how we customize our crew is more or less the same like we customize our character, so the UI panel is kinda similar, but with a little change.
    • To unlock the crew customization, there will be some requirements to it. So, we need the tailor if we want to customize the crew's outfit and outfit color, while for the weapon, we will need the soldier.
    • We don't need multiple outfits of each kind for multiple crews. We will only need to have one outfit of each kind for each crew. The outfit will be given to the tailor as a sample design. The tailor then will learn the design, and give us the outfit blueprint. We will need to read it first before it is submitted into our collection, basically just like how codex work, after we read it, it doesn't dissapear like mech blueprint (maybe we can add outfit as a collection too, more things to collect is not a bad idea, right?). After the the design was submitted into our collection, we can freely customize the crew's outfit without worrying to get another one. Simple, right? Therefore, we don't need to waste much resources and pixels in crew customization. For example, we have four crews. We want the two of them to wear the chef outfit, and the two other to wear the wedding outfit. So, we don't have to have two chef and wedding outfits, we will just need one of each. So, we will give each of the outfit to the tailor. After the tailor learn it and give us its blueprint, and we read it, it will be kept in our collection. Then, we can freely change those four's outfit. You want all of them to wear wedding outfit or chef outfit, or any outfit you want, it's up to you.
    • While for the weapon, we will need to get another one. I think it is kinda cheating if we can change the weapon without getting a new one. Because weapon affect the user combat capability. Its attack and special ability will also be applied to the crew who use it.
    • Because the tailor are no longer the place to customize the crew outfit (because the idea mention that we use the S.A.I.L. interface instead), the tailor can be ask to follow us (because it is kinda sad if the tailor can't join us when we get ourselve in to something exciting, a.k.a fighting or exploring).
    Additional idea about crew and other NPCs:
    • Make the crew trainable.
    • Trained crew will have more attack, energy, hitpoint and combat skill.
    • The crew can be trained up to tier 6, equivalent to our character when wearing a solarium armor.
    • When training the crew to tier 5, there will be 3 type of training we can choose, and we can only choose one of it, they are the Aegisalt, the Ferozium, and the Violium.
    • The tier 6 training type is depended on the tier 5 training.
    • The training will cost us pixels or some resources. The higher the level, the more expensive it will be.
    • The training can be done via the S.A.I.L. interface.
    • When we assign our crew to go on training via the S.A.I.L interface, they will teleport out of our ship (of course to go for training). Therefore, they will become unavaible to help us. It took about 5 minutes for each training. And only one crew at a time.
    • Enable the crew (and the other NPCs that follow us) to swim, more advanced swimming skill to be precise. I know they can swim, but they will cease to follow when we start to touch the water (or other liquid). So, the idea is to make the crew (or the other NPCs that follow us) to follow us, even when we are underwater (I believe many people are kinda disturbed by this).
    • Enable our crew to follow us (not teleport on us, it's different) when we are in friendly or hostile spaceship, anomalous region, or space station. Therefore, they will be available to help us anywhere we go (well, except the toilet and other specific area).
    • Because the idea above, we will need to change the mech, it's design, shape, and animation of each race. Make it a bit larger and more mech-looking, so that the mech can fit three person, us and two of our crew (not other player).
    • Enable the NPCs (including our crew) to heal themselves, or consuming healing item to be precise. So, when they are out of combat or their health is critical, they can run away and heal themselve. Therefore, the friendly (and dumb) NPCs out there have a higher chance to survive in battle or other hazard situation. Because it is kinda annoying to see friendly NPCs dying so easy, do you guys agree with it? I hope so. This also applies with the hostile NPCs (like bandits and other bad guys). It is just to make things quite fair.
    More and more ideas:
    • Make a boarding system, I mean more realistic boarding system. Where our ship needs to fly near the enemy's ship to board it and vice versa (I don't know how to explain its detail, but it is just like Star Wars).
    • Make a space battle system (still, I am confuse how to explain it, but it is just like FTL, but in Starbound).
    • Make a space pandemic system. Where there is an event where our ship is infected by space parasites, and our objective is to clear it out, and cure our infected crew (not kill it, this ain't Dead Space).
    Those are my suggestion for Starbound crews and NPCs. I really hope you guys agree, especially the one from the Chucklefish. If you guys have question or don't agree with the idea, just say it and let us discuss it to make things more agreeable. But if you guys agree, a support is always welcome.

One more thing, please consider yourself to involve in the vote. Because every vote is counted and appreciated. It will be a great help.

Okay, that's all for now! Just keep in mind that this suggestion will always be updated as time goes. See you guys soon and thank you!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. Daikon Ocelot

Hello, anybody? Devs or anyone, can someone respond to this at least. Saying you're agree or not, so my suggestion will not just be abandoned and untouched, so I can think of the other idea if you don't agree with this or maybe we can discuss this further.

3. Daikon Ocelot

Anyway, thanks for liking it guys. Much appreciated, even though there is still no respond from the devs. By the way, how do you make the vote stuff, anyone can help me?

Edit - Forget about how to make vote stuff, I already figure it out myself.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  4. Kirstern

Kirstern Void-Bound Voyager

This is a great idea! I feel a bit iffy about the colored nametags, but I can't figure out an easy replacement. Maybe titles? Ex: Medic Jacob; Soldier Hade; Outlaw Ali; etc. Mnnnn... Idk.

5. Daikon Ocelot

Thanks! I think your idea about name tag is better, I will change it soon. And again, thanks for the support! :)

6. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

How about instead of a 'Tailor' you get a 'Quartermaster'? They can handle the extra features, I think. Some of the stuff might have to be done in SAIL, but can become available once you have the quartermaster.

I think, based on other mods I have seen, that all of this can be done via mod. The names ironically might be the only things not doable; without them being unique NPCs I believe their names are always randomly chosen. Leastwise, I've not seen an example of a generated NPC with a title.

For training especially I'd love to see your crewmembers pop up with some dialogue while heading toward the teleporter. They stay gone for something like 5 minutes per tier, so tier 6 training takes 30 minutes? Maybe that's too short of a time, or maybe it's not really adding anything to immersion and playability.

7. Daikon Ocelot

I think "Quartermaster" sounds better in a game like this. "Tailor" sounds old and rustic. It makes me remember of my grandma.
    Well, the reason I post this thread is to influence them and make this features available in the game itself (not mod I mean). I hope they hear me out (but I think they are kinda deaf right now). Features like this could enhance the gameplay I believe, and I don't want features like this rot and end up as a mod like any other great idea, like the races that many people suggest and made or maybe like the bounty hunting feature that many people await (even though you mention that there is a mod like this). Sorry, if I offend someone, I just hope the many awesome mods are the game content and features itself, and the modders who made all of that mods and all the people who contribute great ideas are to be put in the credits as a sign of appreciation. It is something you can be proud of after taking part of something big you know.

And yes, for the name, I think it is a little bit off. How about changing it in to a little symbol or an icon above them? A red cross for a medic and a wrench for a mechanic. How about that?
    Yeah, that might be a good idea. But, how about if they go for training after we told them to do it and after we pay the required funds for the training. So, how does it sounds? Does it sounds good or bad?

(Sorry for the very long reply)

8. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

I'm of course not opposed to mods being incorporated as features. I think the rail system was originally a mod for example. And something like this wouldn't be such a big deal that it would break existing mods (much). But you are right. Right now CF is focused on porting the game and working on other games. It is almost old enough to warrant a sequel rather than updates. My main hope is that there will be a sequel and modders will have access to nearly every aspect of the game.

For training, that is exactly what I meant - you send them to train (they don't just decide to do it themselves). It would be a good deal to be able to train them in any skill too, I think, and simply assign crewmembers jobs on the ship. Their class can influence their maximum skill levels or something.

9. Daikon Ocelot

The railing system was once a mod? So, it means that the mod has a chance to be part of the game itself. That's a good thing then. Very relieving.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I will update this suggestion as soon as I have the chance. I hope they accept this suggestion someday. Wish me luck!

10. Daikon Ocelot

Hmm... I wonder if the dev really hear and accept my suggestion. It would be one of my dream come true.

11. Daikon Ocelot

I saw someone agree, but with some changes, what kind of change do you suggest? We can discuss it here.

12. Locky543

Locky543 Void-Bound Voyager

Hello i'm new here(about 6 days or more) and...i give you an Idea that the Crew (or NPC) Needs to be able to Swim...cause sometimes when you're in aquatic planets and you have a crew following you,then you're fighting monster(Specially happens to me in Frost Oceans planets) and then,the Crew NPC get's Knockback by a monster in the edge of the Island and falls into the ocean,and he doesn't Swim,instead of that it just teleports at you...or he just fall into the ocean with you(if you force it to go into the ocean,Meaning that the Crew is on the edge of the island and you destroy some blocks of the edge,that he would fall into the ocean but instead of that,the Dude just Stay in a the place that he is falling,instead of swiming and following you) and/or wait's to teleport at you in the surface of the ocean,on a island...while the NPC just stands in the depths of the ocean...Like::seriously:

Correct me if i'm wrong,cause it was just thinking about it and How just Annoying that the Crew it just stay here,instead of following and swimming with you in the Underwater...(Unless Someone tell me about if the crew NPC needs to breath in underwater,then i just leave this idea....) and also i found this while it was searching about the NPC Tag...:yeahhhh:

Also,Nice ideas too,i wanna see a mod about that!:up:

P.S.:i remember when it was in a lush planet,and there's was a medium filled with water in a hole,that i've falled into it with my NPC crew,but then when it was swimming up to the surface,the Crew just Swim up with me...Does that means they aren't so dumb,Unlike in the Ocean planets?:confused:

Edit:One thing is,Like how you said up on the ideas:the NPC Or Crew stops moving when there's some liquid arround you,waiting to you that you get out of the liquid to follow you or teleports at you when you stop to tounch liquid or their just swim if they need to follow you in a little liquid places,meaning that you land in the other part of the edge of the liquid,the NPC will swim to you...now i get it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  13. Daikon Ocelot

I never thought someone would care about this idea after this long time. Thanks for the idea, I will update the post soon, and sorry for the late respond.

14. dragoonx41

dragoonx41 Space Spelunker

still waiting for dat mod

15. Daikon Ocelot

Yup, but sadly I don't want it to be a mod. I just want it to be "pat of da gem".
    Sorry for the late respond. I just notice your post edit today, while checking this thread. Again, thanks for the support.

16. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

17. Daikon Ocelot

Did you make that? That's cool, man! Thanks! :)

General Nuclear likes this.
  18. Daikon Ocelot

Okay, I have update it. I think there are some typos and grammar errors, please forgive me, guys.

19. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

[​IMG]

20. Daikon Ocelot

Thanks for the recent like. Really appreciated.