1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Moosepeoples! (And more!)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by WMoose, Apr 30, 2013.

1. WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think you guys know how much I would freak out of an NPC race of Moose-people just.. appeared.

Then I pondered, "What if the NPC engine was sophisticated enough to randomly generate an NPC with horns and a furry body?

:rainbow: All I ever wanted.

2. AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Random unplayable humanoid races huh, that would totally boost the number of races in Starbound without hindering the development that much, I like it. Every planet would bring a new race to the table.

Nesden and Brodecaiser like this.
  3. WMoose

Right! With everything in place for their character creation, I am curious how much coding would go into randomly generating a humanoid based on a couple of factors, like arms, legs, torso, head, features, etc, using pre-existing textures and art. Oh the wonders.

4. Oathrunner

Oathrunner Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think having humanoids on some planets at different evolutionary/technological periods would be pretty neat,
    Just so I can show up and shoot them with my super advanced laser-pistol and take all their stuff, and I don't really care if they're moose people, I'd still shoot them.

Miss Andry likes this.
  5. WMoose

I'm intrigued with that idea, it sounds sort've like the basis for an SNES game called E.V.O. - Search for Eden, or Spore.

:idea:

What would be REALLY neat though, would be if you revisited a planet that had an underdeveloped race, and found that it had Evolved.

Serenity, Nymbus and Oathrunner like this.
  6. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

This maybe something they consider post release-

At the moment though all the races seem to be tied to what they will eventualy do in the main storyline. Dungeons seem to be based off each and you will probably need to do those to progress the plot and or equipment teirs possibly.

This excludes novakids which where a fan race that made it in on preorder.

That said 'humanoid'(two arms, two legs) monsters show up as is, and some may not be hostile. They just wont likely have any villages or trading like the main races probably will.

7. Oathrunner

Now you're on to something! :proper:

8. WMoose

Well. They do already have random monster generation.
    Random NPC generation doesn't seem like a farfetched idea when the groundwork is already laid, don't you think? :sarcasm:

:proper: Quite. Though you should take credit for throwing it out there to build off of!

9. AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If I was programming this, I would have an 8th unselectable race. In the character creator, you are only given one option to tinker with to physically alter the appearence of your character, and that is hair/head mod/fin. This 8th race would instead have many more options, like for example, hair, eyes, arms, legs, and torso. Once this is generated, many are placed in a little village with little variations to each other, like their body colour, and hair parts that are a bit dissimilar to add to the illusion of a new race.

/Hair
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    ///Sub-Hair [Basically, after a hair style is chosen by the race generator, it'll randomly select hair within that subgroup in order to create more members of the race to add variance.]
    1. a b c d e f g
    2. a b c d e f g
    3. a b c d e f g
    4. a b c d e f g
    5. a b c d e f g
    6. a b c d e f g
    7. a b c d e f g
    /Eye
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    /Torso
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    /Leg
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    /Arm
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7

EDIT: Grammar

WMoose likes this.
  10. WMoose

Good god man, this is amazing. And seems like it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to do.

And it's also incredibly neat that you took personal time to throw this together on your own volition, and should be recognized.

You receive the highest Moose Commendation! :iswydt:

So given this information, what would you love to see in the generation? There is already so much in the game it's hard to decide what would be included or excluded.. I would be beside myself of course if my preference manifested, but there is so much more that could be.

11. Miss Andry

Miss Andry Cosmic Narwhal

If you really want it, keep the ideas in your head and suggest it to smart/cool modders and you could get this kinda thing in game no problem.

I would support it and the other ideas in here

Serenity likes this.
  12. WMoose

Well, with the game in development pre-beta, it might not be necessary to turn to modders to make this a reality. Something like this could even be a stretch goal, if enough people paraded and heralded it as something they want in the game.

AirplaneRandy made a good point earlier:

This expands the horizons of the game in ways that could be fathomed, but everyone will be too busy checking new planets for new previously unseen NPC's.

Serenity likes this.
  13. WMoose

Given that this was posted very late at night, it's been buried on the third page. I am going to bump it once for daytime viewing, and also create a link to this on the suggestion forums.

I think the ideas in here have potential. :)

14. Quenton

Quenton Phantasmal Quasar

EVERY planet brings a new sentient, alien race to the table?

Personally, I'd rather not have a sentient, alien race on every possible planet. I'd like to be "the first one there" at least 50-75% of the time.

15. WMoose

Simple fix for that, have a trigger in the options to disable random NPC generation. :)

Also, there will be NPC's I believe in villages, so inevitably you will end up being "second" somewhere. (I think.)

16. Quenton

Quenton Phantasmal Quasar

I could live with that. I just hope the villages and such in Starbound "as-is" aren't on every planet they can possibly appear on. I'd like finding them to be a special thing, but not a hard to do thing. I'd rather say "Hey, there's a village!" rather than "Welp, there's this planet's village (yawn)..."

WMoose likes this.
  17. WMoose

I think it's set up so the villages dynamically tie in with quests or the dungeon at the moment. You might not need to worry about it. :)

18. Oathrunner

I don't think anyone suggested every planet, I know I at least said "Some" and I was aiming on the low end of that even.
    I'd want it to be fairly uncommon to find an intelligent life form.

19. IndieGamerRid

IndieGamerRid Zero Gravity Genie

Many of the generated monsters are bipeds. They might not be "NPCs" as you'd like to think of them, which I imagine our strictly limited to the starbound races, but they might be close enough. Who knows, you might find your moosepeople out amongst the stars someday.

20. WMoose

It would be super neat of course, to continually explore for new types of beings and be able to show them off to the community. Make an unofficial appendix of "seen" mobs and make it a completely community based project.

Man I would be all over that.