Monsters and the Wilderness Farm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Salamander Sundaes, Oct 14, 2016.

?

Wilderness Farm!

1. Monsters are so easy to kill

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Monsters? What monsters?

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. I find it quite spoopy as is, thank you.

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Meh, Wilderness farm. _____ farm, all the way.

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. Salamander Sundaes

Salamander Sundaes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Heya! I just began playing on the Wilderness farm, and I'm only a bit into my first year. I wanted to ask the people who are also playing the Wilderness farm: Do you know if the monsters scale to difficulty? Also, has anyone found a way to get way, way more monsters to spawn on the farm at night? I don't often run into anything, and I'd like to have more difficulty surviving in the game at night. Like, I'm willing to go in and edit some of the files - but I don't know if there's any line of code that directly relates to frequency and amount of monsters spawned in each location.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
    • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

I believe the Golems are supposed to scale in accordance with your Combat skill. Not sure how, or if it's working, though.

• La Chair

La Chair Big Damn Hero

I played through the end of year 2 on the WIlderness Farm and can say that the monsters were very underwhelming. There were not nearly enough spawning to make them anything other than a very mild annoyance.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
        • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

They do get tougher, the higher combat skill level you are.
          I'm level 10 in combat and I have shadow brutes, purple slimes (Yay!), all 3 different bats and golems spawning at night now.

It's pretty underwhelming overall though if you're any good at combat in this game. They don't spawn that often and they're very easy to kill.

• Iltheyn

Iltheyn Void-Bound Voyager

All but salamander sundaes, ignore me.

Salamander... you're my favorite night fighter.

• lordofdragonss

lordofdragonss Void-Bound Voyager

I'm ok with monster being scaled to mines level. But they need to be more monsters and wilderness golem should get the mummy AI - the one that tries to get to you.

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

The Wilderness Map is underwhelming. The monsters do scale to your Combat level, but overall the Monsters don't spawn enough. Once you get to a Higher Combat Level, there are a good mix of monsters but they don't spawn often enough

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                • ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

What makes it the most underwhelming is that you can get the same results post game via a quest.
                  I mean, I get the maps are more beneficial early on but the others have perks you can use that is purely theirs for your whole playing. The river map still has nice fishing, should you enjoy that and/or RP it as important. Forest having foragables which includes EVERY shroom type for potions for the skull cave. Hilltop is what, a cute little quarry basically I think? Haven't played it yet. The wilderness has NO unique lasting advantage over the vanilla map and that makes me sad, since it was legit the only one that got me excited when I first read about them.

Keep in mind I'm not trying to insult anyone when I say this but purely talk about my feelings, CA has done a LOT he didn't have to and really I appreciate it, but the wilderness map honestly has left me feeling defeated and cheated. Idk, I guess I hyped it without meaning to and... well...

https://goo.gl/images/RG7jo9

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Well, it does have the advantage that you don't have to turn on monsters, you get them right from the start on the wilderness map. It can take a pretty long time before you're able to turn on monsters on the other maps.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I personally don't find that the same level of advantage as the others have, since you can get the same thing without using that map on your farm. If the spawn rate was better I'd see it as at least something, but as it is I can't say I've been able to enjoy much 'play'/benefit from it. Certainly not enough to justify not having other bonuses until the time I can get it AND have the other bonus.

• Kickz

Kickz Space Penguin Leader

The combat is sort of w/e, but the layout of the map is pleasing on the eyes and is the only new map that isn't smol

• Lumisteria

Lumisteria Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree, this map lacks something more unique.

I don't think it should be more monsters. Sometime i got 5-6 monsters. One time, i got 2 serpents at the same time (and i hate serpents), so i don't want to die because i was in skull cavern before and suddently when i go home i have 3-4 serpents spawning.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                          • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

You also get copper ore almost immediately. And since this is linked to the mines, you also find copper ore within the first few levels, there. All ores tend to show up earlier, though not to the extent that copper does.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                            • masterroshi

masterroshi Aquatic Astronaut

just fight a lot of monsters and get your combat level up then harder ones will come.

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

I play the wilderness map quite often and I like it that suddenly farming on your map at night and trying to drag the day to 2am is less safe and efficient.

It makes it tougher to get to bed on time if you are cutting it close, and they get in the way of that last bit of watering / chopping / clearing you try to finish up before bed. Bats and the jack o'lantern fellows take forever to kill and can be relentless during the first week especially.

But maybe that is more how I play? Obviously everyone's mileage may vary.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Wow, a three year necropost. Good job.

• masterroshi

masterroshi Aquatic Astronaut

oh man I didn't see that.

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

Me neither. And wow, the new maps have been out for 3 years already? Have I been playing this that long?

• Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

I will say, I think the Wilderness is the nicest looking farm since it provides the most farm space without looking like the giant rectangle of the default farm:
                                        In fact, I even disable the monsters eventually so I just use the map for pure aesthetics.

[​IMG]

spyro1198 and BentFX like this.
                                        • spyro1198

spyro1198 Space Hobo

I have my second biggest file on Switch and the monsters definitely go up with your combat ranking. Combat is the one thing I haven't mastered yet, I believe I'm at 9/10.

I wonder with the update if there's going to be a new farm layout. I believe there's a new layout for co-op that ConcernedApe revealed a small screen cap of, though.