1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Monster/npc infighting in dungeons (and a few other bugs)...

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Shadow Wolf TJC, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

While playtesting some mods that I was working on, I noticed a few bugs:

1. By far the most noteworthy bug in my opinion is that it seemed as if the dungeon monsters and the dungeon npcs were fighting against eachother. Serpent Droids and Cleaning Bots were turning against their human masters in Human Bunker dungeons, Avian Tombkeepers were fighting against the Bone Birds and Scorpions that roamed the Avian Tombs, Floran Hunters lost control of the beasts that they supposedly tamed inside of Floran Hunting Grounds dungeons, and Mounted Glitch Knights were going on a rampage inside of Glitch Castles until they were dismounted, in which they suddenly reverted back to cooperating with their fellow castle guards.

The solution to this is simple: change the monsters' damageTeam variable to match the npcs', which was defaulting to "2" when the most recent change hit. To take this a step further, make sure that any monsters and npcs that are spawned as a result of death or projectile use can inherit certain variables, especially the damageTeam variable, so that, no matter which faction these npcs or monsters are fighting for, they won't turn against their allies as soon as they're spawned.

2. I, along with others, have noticed that the monsters inside of Sewer Dungeons do not attack the player on sight. I've managed to fix this by having the dungeons set their "aggressive" variable to "true".

3. Some monsters and npcs seem to spawn inside of solid ground, especially in older (micro)dungeons. Should you wish to reuse those older dungeons, then a little repositioning and addition of empty space can fix this problem easily.

2. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

I should also add that, at the time that I made that post, I had no mods installed that altered monster behavior in general, or even the behavior of monsters that were generated by the dungeons themselves. Moreover, I noticed this kind of behavior from the dungeons that vanilla Starbound provided. While I have fixed this issue with my recently-released Legacy Dungeons mod, I do believe that this bug shouldn't have been present within vanilla Starbound from the start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.