Monster combat changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 23, 2014.

1. therladbsgh

therladbsgh Subatomic Cosmonaut

That doesn't answer the question of PvP issues, or pretty much anything for that matter. You still run in 1v2+ situations, regardless of whether you can induce knockback on enemies or not.

Knockback exists in games for a reason: to interrupt the advancements of an enemy coming towards you. This is even more important in 2D games as your options of manoeuvring (i.e. dodging) is limited. The devs have replaced knockback for parrying and stunning monsters, which is a viable and skill indexed alternative, but is still only limited to melee / close combat, and no other methods exist.

The person has a point in that this function or purpose still needs to exist to make combat viable. Knockback is braindead as of now but to completely replace it for a gimped, incomplete version is not the way to go.

Blatant and immature generalizations like these is why I don't enjoy visiting the Starbound forums.

Anastriana, Ravager, JTDude and 6 others like this.
  2. Kirsten

Kirsten Pangalactic Porcupine

While I do agree, knockback in 2D games is typically necessary, it will have to depend on how well the blocking and attack position system works.

edit: also, regardless, some weapons (read: hammers and the like) should still have some (or higher) degree of knockback as a special thing.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    rf314 and Kyasupah like this.
  3. EnigmaticExplorer

EnigmaticExplorer Void-Bound Voyager

Woah :megusta: Darksouls Starbound Edtion just... woah... i like this combat gameplay change... ;)

Edit... oh may i ask... since these shows a change in melee combat (parry, shield blocking, etc), how will these affect the range combat as well? (Guns, Ranged Monsters, etc.).

Anyway i just want to see your response if there will be any...

4. Haku14

Haku14 Master Chief

I got butterflies in my stomach! This is what I wanted from starbound for a long time! :D

5. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Phantasmal Quasar

This sounds much better than the current system. But IMO, if knockback is gone, then you HAVE to remove touch damage. As things stand right now, knockback is the only thing that keeps me alive, except when using a shield.
    As long as the monsters actually have legit attack animations, it sounds like a good system to me. It would be nice if some weapons still had knockback, though, perhaps as a special effect.

One of the things that i like about this is that you could have some monsters that were much faster than the player without it being completely unfair.

One other question: will monsters be able to occupy the same space as one another? Because if they start stacking with animations out of sync and no knockback, defending could become a nightmare...

6. Davidzx

Davidzx Intergalactic Tourist

This looks amazing..

7. Kahzel

Kahzel Big Damn Hero

Active combat mechanics, please give them to me now!

These are pretty beast, also parrying with 2h ftw

8. Nunuman116

Nunuman116 Orbital Explorer

Niiiiiice

9. torp3do

torp3do Orbital Explorer

sounds like great improvement! the combat will be more interestig an challenging! i'm looking forward ti the update!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  10. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Looking real good!

11. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

I'm just dropping my opinion of yes this sounds awesome, I'd also like to see AI not so derpy when it comes to being walled off.

12. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

Lovely changes- anything that makes my wee sprite have to be more "on the ball" than the beasties around her. Having the creatures approach in various ways, smarter ways, have to use actual skill to fend off such monsters when they attack, this makes a far more interesting and engaging environment to peruse through.

You know, regarding the "touch" mechanic you are thinking about taking out... what if you gave some of the smaller creatures an elemental "aura" around them that will still harm you if you touch them, like your current poison or electrical effects. Ones you really should use your ranged weapons for.

13. Starhowl

Starhowl Phantasmal Quasar

Yes yes yes yes yes YES YES YES.

14. I like it!
    Reminds me a bit of Skyward sword's shield combat.

MilkCalf likes this.
  15. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

I'm excited about the potential removal of monster "touch damage," as I've always felt that made combat unpleasant. Instead of needing to attack you, with touch damage all the monster has to do is get near you, and can make combat really frustrating when not on a flat plane.

Removing the touch damage and knockback at the same time I feel is a really fair and smart choice that will let us have more depth in combat, focusing more on attacking and defending, and less on jumping around like crazy trying to avoid touching monsters.

16. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

I agree, there could probably be too much knockback going on as well if that was added to every weapon.

Maybe when you hit a monster it could be interrupted for a second like how it works for most fighting games out there. But then again that could make it too easy if not done right. The monsters would then have to attack immediately after being hit/interrupted or something similar in order to make it harder for the player.

Edit:

Just a quick little gif animation... Well took a good while to make actually lol... Used gimp at first but then I couldn't get the frame rate to function, and gimp stopped working, blah blah blah, so I ended up finishing the gif with photoshop.
    [​IMG]

17. ThaOneDon

ThaOneDon Parsec Taste Tester

18. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

Oh nice!
    The importance of combat mechanics in games took another proportion for me after I played dark souls, so it's good to see you guys improving it :V
    Lemme throw my 2 cents here tho:
    I'm not sure how the new combat system will work, but for me, knockback has aways been a good visual way to measure damage.
    How about, instead of completely removing it, adding a few "ifs" to control when knockback can be aplied?
    Something like this:

When dealing damage to a monster:
    if damage < 1/3 of monster's health: {nothing happens}
    else, if damage < 2/3 of monster's health: {monster stops and change to "hurt" animation}
    else: {knockback}

huh? huh? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ravager and Zurgh like this.
  19. Quizok

Quizok Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think it will be able to stay in front even if there is a layer of blocks, he might attempt to strike and fail or try and find another way to the player. In the above example I think the mobs will just jump around left and right, maybe sit on top for a while before "realising" they cant get to the player, but as a player you are pretty much safe from any mobs that dont have a small enough projectile that fits in the hole or some sort of explosive attack that destroyes blocks. I dont know what the devs can change to stop this kind of "defence", maybe give melee attacks a small amount of block breaking capability when the mob is aggro ed. Anyways the pathfinding of the mobs needs more work before anything else.

20. Ajear

Ajear Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds great, what about tail attacks?