Monster combat changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

All of this sounds great.

Though some weapons would still be appropriate to have knockback. But I support it's removal from most weapons.

JoeBlk and Kirsten like this.
  2. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Stop thinking of it as 2d minecraft. If there are too many monsters you run. Because in a 1 vs 20 situation the one that gets pushed back is you.

3. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

Sounds great. Feels like guns/ranged weapons are being overlooked again though.. Still, one thing at a time and these changes all seems awesome. :)

What s/he said. Hammers should still have knockback.

DeadlyLuvdisc and JoeBlk like this.
  4. Gettornado

Gettornado Void-Bound Voyager

Ok Cool. the idea with the stamina on shield is nice

JoeBlk likes this.
  5. therladbsgh

therladbsgh Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't see how players and/or monsters will be able to position themselves for attack / defence.

The concept works on flat ground, but what about hills (which comprise most of the landscape)? Compounded with the absurdly huge jumps mobs make in Starbound (even in standard gravity) and the less than impressive air strafing controls, it would be difficult finding an optimal area where a mob can be directly facing the front of a player, or a player directly shielding against mob attacks.

JoeBlk likes this.
  6. Sailo

Sailo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This new combat change sounds like it could add a very dynamic feel to the game. I wonder how blocks vs. mob will act in this combat change and if that will play a very high strategic move in this change. Now THIS is where it starts to get interesting. Like I said in my last post, Why do the devs have to be SO AWESOME!?!?!?1111?111one

JoeBlk likes this.
  7. GorunNova

GorunNova Pangalactic Porcupine

Instead of touch damage, maybe have 'reflex attacks' that kick in when the player is basically standing on the enemy? Maybe treat the enemy as a solid object with a bounding box, so you literally can't be in the same place?

*imagines a situation where you jump on a monster's back and start smacking away at it, while it lashes back at you with close range reflex attacks... or get damage if the enemy has, say, a spiky back, toxic skin, or maybe even a super-hot or super-cold skin that causes your temperature to drop in it's proximity, or a combination of many of the above...*

Plus... some bosses break through blocks, so why can't a few bigger / huge clawed monsters do it if there's a wall between the player and the monster?

Edit: Maybe a 'toss' attack if you're too close, where the monster does an attack or throw that knocks you back a bit?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    ChaosDichter, JoeBlk and Piccolo like this.
  8. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Running should be an option in my opinion, it should not be a necessity when you are facing regular monsters. Even if it is 1 vs 20, I think you should still be able to fight your way out of that situation without taking a hit if you do it right.

You see, if you are literally forced to run from regular monsters then I would find that silly.

DeadlyLuvdisc, JTDude and JoeBlk like this.
  9. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

WOW!
    Sounds quite intuitive and a lot more realistic. No more getting hurt when accidently landing on spiked molten octo-bunnies! :D
    Cant wait for the changes!

JoeBlk likes this.
  10. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Remove knockback....?
    Okay... fine.. I can live with that...
    but certain attacks better cause flinching.

DeadlyLuvdisc, JoeBlk and Piccolo like this.
  11. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

YOu must really like assassin's creed. You are NOT a one man army

JoeBlk likes this.
  12. Ferosprime

Ferosprime Void-Bound Voyager

I think just having the monster change its attack position is genius.With the new system fighting wont be walking a way and then swinging when you can.

JoeBlk likes this.
  13. willpill35

willpill35 Subatomic Cosmonaut

O this sounds really awesome cant wait for the next update new ships better combat new progression system whats not to like. Any estimated idea on when the update will be ready?

JoeBlk likes this.
  14. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

All this looks amazing. It'll really help combat feel more organic and less like a stepping stone.

JoeBlk likes this.
  15. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

Why? Because you said so? SB isn't a "Don't starve" either. I can't see a reason why every fight with monster must result in a "duel" or fight for you life?

JoeBlk and rf314 like this.
  16. Arthur Sataine

Arthur Sataine Space Hobo

Every single bit of this, implement it. Every thought you had in this post needs to be integrated. Take away touch damage, give us the attack stances, love the blocks, the shield durability, and the "parry." Seriously nothing at all negative in this update or plan. I'm so frickin' tired of enemies just swarming at my player space and getting blasted back way too far. I'm excited about and looking forward to these ideas. Man, I'm super excited now!

JoeBlk likes this.
  17. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

The only thing I'm worried about is CF trying to appeal to everyone (which 9/10, never works out).

DeadlyLuvdisc, JoeBlk and Piccolo like this.
  18. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

This is not about me really, it is about the player. I hope you are not trying to attack me on a personal level.

But yeah, I do enjoy the concept of being able to master combat in a game, even with standard equipment, being able to master it to a point where you are able to fight multiple monsters without being hit. I like when it's about reaction and the possibilities presented to you with the fighting system.

JoeBlk, rf314 and Piccolo like this.
  19. Kirsten

Kirsten Pangalactic Porcupine

I love the ideas, and I love the concept art. Can I have a combat concept monster plushie? Is this a thing we can do? Its so cute!

JoeBlk and Piccolo like this.
  20. Artem

Artem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You'll love Oblitus game then (which is like Dark Souls in 2D).

JoeBlk likes this.