Monster combat changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Artem

Artem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great, but I just hate those health bars there, maybe sound and its pitch level would be better? But I need to see it in the game first, I think, hm…

I like the changes anyway (maybe it won't be great in the end, but sounds much and much better than what we have now).

Off-topic: for the love of god, please, fix arrows, they're still getting through enemies and doesn't do any damage to them sometimes

JoeBlk likes this.
  2. Danfus

Danfus Phantasmal Quasar

I would like to suggest you to add graphics to monters pre-actions.
    Something like this:

[​IMG]

This would give us some more visual hints about the pre-attacks.

JoeBlk likes this.
  3. Ipix

Ipix Void-Bound Voyager

I wouldn't be hasty to remove weapon knock back mechanics entirely.

Some kind of push helps illustrate the weight and power of a weapon, especially heavy, blunt weapons like hammers or hydraulic rams.
    A good example of this is the impact hammer from unreal tournament. It would function just as well without pushing entities around, but would loose some of the illusion of force that it applies to an object.
    Another example would be the player getting hit by something big and muscle bound. A bear would make a good candidate. It would detract from the weight of the action if the player was not pushed by the weight of the impact.

Ranged fighters would also benefit form the ability to force a foe back to a more comfortable engagement range. Swinging a gun like a club to force someone back is an example of how this would translate to a game world.
    Using the same example, this kind of push can also be illustrated by a foe pulling back to avoid a blow. After all, getting clubbed, slashed or stabbed is never fun.

I do like the mechanics of blocking and parrying, along with the improved monster combat algorithm.
    Adding a combat distance to mobs opens up a whole lot of possibilities for interesting combat mechanics.
    I would very much like to see bigger monsters under this system with varied, distance dependent routines that enable it to fight in a much more dynamic fashion.

I would be also interested to know whether large firearms will be able to parry?

4. MontyDrake

MontyDrake Title Not Found

JoeBlk likes this.
  5. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

I think split second timing isn't a very good idea, especially if you have to fight against multiple enemies and being attacked from different directions.

JoeBlk likes this.
  6. Rueya

Rueya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really adore these changes! Brings more flair to combat now! With this being overhauled, I can now look forward to fighting mobs as opposed to only exploring! Awesome stuff guys!

JoeBlk likes this.
  7. Thorne Sparkle

Thorne Sparkle Master Chief

Thank you so much for continuing to work hard on this game, I can't wait for the update!

JoeBlk likes this.
  8. Khornez

Khornez Master Chief

Awesome!! I was holding my breath waiting for updates and this looks amazing!

JoeBlk likes this.
  9. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Well instead of writing a usual WoT I use a comparasion:

The current combat changes are like a steak with baked potatoes... a bit raw in the middle but after all really tasty.

JoeBlk likes this.
  10. FrostyAvo

FrostyAvo Void-Bound Voyager

Nice, I've always hated it when I'm flying around with Bubble Boost and I get hit by a random monster jumping in my way. I like the other changes too a lot.

JoeBlk likes this.
  11. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

Idea, in general, looks OK. A little bit more complicated combat will be a very welcomed change. But where are some things i have to point out:
    1) Making fighting more complicated is fine, but monsters must be interesting to fight too, both in their behaviour and abilities (i know, it was already announced) and in rewards for fighting them.
    2) What about ranged weapons? Making melee combat more complicated and long will shift some ppl who either don't want to bother with tactics or just have different priorities aside from fightings (loot, exploring, building, etc) toward ranged. How balancing between melee and ranged going to work? Overly underpowered ranged is a bad choice.

Ravager, Hilkyshtuff, JoeBlk and 2 others like this.
  12. Boneslord

Boneslord Big Damn Hero

GENIUS!
    Can there be a way to reflect projectiles back at the mobs?

JoeBlk likes this.
  13. oceansRising

oceansRising Pangalactic Porcupine

I hope this works out well (not that I have any doubts~)!

JoeBlk likes this.
  14. FIxing the core in-game systems is one incredible move to make this game rise to the tops again. Keep going. :)

But also please, give some love to server software (specially linux), tsunamis of people want to play on servers but try to maintain one decently big server kills us. o_O

JoeBlk and Elate like this.
  15. Rapierian

Rapierian Void-Bound Voyager

I think this sounds great! One slight modification I think yo should do however is to have the monster start attacking slightly before it's in range, so that the hit of it's attack is timed with it arriving to the right location.

JoeBlk likes this.
  16. SEADOG

SEADOG Space Spelunker

Will the enemies still get into attack position when you're using ranged weapons?

Seems like it'll be a hell of a lot easier to take them down that way with this change.

JoeBlk and Piccolo like this.
  17. Gindew

Gindew Phantasmal Quasar

I am liking the sound of this!

JoeBlk likes this.
  18. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Well,finally. It's starting to sound like a game with proper mechanics. Can't wait.

JoeBlk likes this.
  19. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

I find this question interesting.

I mean if they all charge you at the same time you'd need to have some kind of knockback ability to push them away if you don't have any tech unlocked already. Imagine that you don't have a shield or any tech unlocked, and you have no way to push the monsters back, you'd have to jump over them in order to evade their attack. But then what if they react to your jump as you are jumping and they would hit you mid-air as well, you'd need to have knockback on your weapon to push that monster away in this situation.

Or you could stun them if you had a two-handed sword by parrying their attack, but I still see knockback as essential to the combat system. And for PvP, the stun effect would only work out if it was forgiving, because the player with a shield would have the advantage over a two-handed player in that situation.

JTDude and JoeBlk like this.
  20. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to be a really nice change because it will make it feel more realistic and also will make it not just "haha I have more range than you so I can just sit and watch you run into my sword hahahahahahahaha"

JoeBlk likes this.