Monster combat changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Rostfrei

Rostfrei Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This sounds amazing. I was hoping the fighting system would get an overhaul because right now it just seems like a bland annoyance. Ha, setting my hopes into the new system feeling like monster hunter.

mojoyscourge and JoeBlk like this.
  2. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

:saywhat::saywhat::saywhat:

Serious though, how does one survive ranged unless you get the tier 10 ranged weapons. Even then melee is always more powerful.

Serenity, Titanium and JoeBlk like this.
  3. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The shields recharge?Cool!
    I like the new mechanics very much!Good job!

4. TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

Sweet stuff. How about shield bash?

[​IMG]

Superluigi321 and Arthanen like this.
  5. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Most of this sounds good, although if "stun" is going to be used in regular PvP then that could get really annoying. One guy blocking with the shield and the other guy getting stunned so he can lose more health, I just don't see that as good combat for PvP.

Edit:

Unless the stun effect comes from a follow-up combo attack, used to knock your opponent out for 3 seconds or something. That would be more forgiving and could feel good utilized.

Edit2:

Basically, I think that some amount of knockback would be good when parrying, the stun effect I think fits better when using some kind of combo attacks to knock your opponent off balance. So if one person is holding the shield up front and another person is attacking that shield, the one shielding would slide backwards when the shield is hit. And the one shielding could possibly perform a shield bash to knock the opponent a bit further away to gain some quick distance.

When parrying with a two-handed the knockback could take action after 3 successful follow-up parries, as an example.

Edit3:

Almost forgot, I think the player should always be knocked back a tad when being hit, not like a ridiculous distance, but just a tad. It would add to the feeling of being hit, and also I think the monsters should be knocked back a tad from every hit as well. :coffee:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Raff, PrincessMeatloaf and JoeBlk like this.
  6. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

As much as I like the concept, I am a bit worried if it will actually fit to the game. The whole concept sounds much more tactical which ise nice but it sounds like it will take out a lot of speed out of the combat and make it probably too slow. And what happens when the player is encountered with multiple enemies or vice versa?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Ravager, JoeBlk, Piccolo and 2 others like this.
  7. Sethusk

Sethusk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, this is the right direction. Sounds like ranged might become strong but I'm sure you guys are on top of it.

JoeBlk likes this.
  8. bbq1040

bbq1040 Big Damn Hero

Great changes. cant wait to see them take effect.

JoeBlk likes this.
  9. Daldril

Daldril Subatomic Cosmonaut

Weee! Looking forward to have some fun use for all the beautiful shields I've found so far! Looking forward!

JoeBlk likes this.
  10. Draygarth

Draygarth Space Hobo

Love the new combat ideas. Getting rid of the touch damage makes a lot of sense to me. Right now combat feels like a game of tag. Actual combat will be fun, can't wait to start dodging and parrying :)

JoeBlk likes this.
  11. X45DemoN

X45DemoN Orbital Explorer

I honestly can't wait already, I've only recently bought starbound and I already think this is a much welcome change.

JoeBlk likes this.
  12. matheod

matheod Big Damn Hero

By the way it could allow to add stats (knockback power, shield health, shield regeneration, time we get to do a parry, etc.) to shield, so it will start quest to find the better shield !

Raff, JoeBlk and ry3te4 like this.
  13. Seanharrs

Seanharrs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I use 1-handed swords most of the time, so that I can hold a torch in the other hand for cave exploration and night time travelling...but with this new change, I might need to just craft myself a 2-handed sword JUST to do that perfectly timed parry, all the time...

Why? Because it will look damn awesome and make me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside! Or something like that...it just looks amazing when you do that in a game, okay!? Don't judge me...

So yeah if you can't tell, I like this...

Colaymorak and JoeBlk like this.
  14. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

I honestly don't care. I'm more the type to avoid combat or use traps/turrets to kill things. I guess enemies constantly trying to get inside my character was a little annoying though. It never felt like they were attacking me in melee, it was more like they wanted to hump my leg.

MilkCalf and JoeBlk like this.
  15. Enzencho

Enzencho Void-Bound Voyager

Nice!! i just can't wait to see this changes in action. This game is awesome. i'm going to enjoy trying to master my combat skills!!!

Serenity and JoeBlk like this.
  16. ark626

ark626 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This sounds pretty mich linke thge shiueldsystem oft secretrs of grindea. Altough i linke this system i dont think it fits Pinto starbound

JoeBlk, Piccolo and Hollow like this.
  17. AndyMugu

AndyMugu Void-Bound Voyager

Cool changes!
    But if I may, maybe keeping the old system for small, swarming monsters would be cool, like the poopies in the sewer, or randomly generated monsters which are quite small, be they flying, water or terrain based.
    Also, yes, having a different attack position for ranged & physical monsters'd be cool. Variety is the spice of (videogame) life!

Serenity and JoeBlk like this.
  18. Liacu

Liacu Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, yes, yes! All of this sounds perfect. I'm glad that touch damage is being removed, it felt rather jarring to have when monsters already had attack animations.

JoeBlk likes this.
  19. NekoDec

NekoDec Void-Bound Voyager

I'm a bit worried honestly. will i be able to "bait retreat beat repeat" or is it more sophisticated?

JoeBlk likes this.
  20. TheTrueArtisan

TheTrueArtisan Subatomic Cosmonaut

Overall, this sounds like a great idea to make combat more dynamic. My only problem is if monsters stop and take a moment to wind up an attack, players have free reign to just smack one as much as they like. Knockback removal helps make this a big risk, but the point stands.
    Now the question is how combat against birds will change...

Ravager, JoeBlk and AndyMugu like this.