1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Mods that cheats your Starbound game

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RockyTV, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Rydian

Rydian Big Damn Hero

If "security" is in the form of an MMO (which is what we're discussing here, client-side versus server-side play), then yes having that architecture (versus the current way that Starbound servers run) would make more lag because it would heavily increase the workload of the server.

Imagine if, for every additional player that was playing on your server, your server would have to play their game too, instead of just synching up results and world updates the clients sent.

GSGregory likes this.
  2. GSGregory

GSGregory Ketchup Robot

Yep.

3. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

The thread was here and the thread was appropriate, it is also clear that the devs do read these threads. While I agree feedback should go to the appropriate forum, why shouldn't I post feedback in a thread that is feedback. If the mods want to move this thread to feedback as that's where it belongs honestly then there we go. It's not my fault people are using general discussion to debate and provide their feedback.

I'd like to note you are also giving feedback with your posts here so are we so different here?

4. GSGregory

GSGregory Ketchup Robot

Actually he isn't

5. Rydian

Rydian Big Damn Hero

You were, uh, you were complaining about me doing general discussion on the subject and not feedback to the devs. :p

What I was talking about (the downloads on my trainer) is perfectly on-topic. My cheats work, and they work online, and there's other people making cheats for Starbound too.
    That effects people, either in mental ways "this person has cheats on their single-player game and I don't like that", or in real ways (cheating on servers), and three solutions have been mentioned.

A - Servers take more things server-side or at least do sanity checks for the upper and lower bounds of values (Terraria does the second thing vanilla for some things like fire speed).
    B - Servers go full-on MMO.
    C - Modded server software with harsh checks from A comes into being.

And those three options, their advantages and disadvantages, and how they've worked in similar situations (and how well they stop people from cheating online!) are what's being talked about on this page right now as far as I see.

GSGregory likes this.
  6. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

I wasn't complaining about you doing general discussion I was pointing out that currently your cheats could be stopped. Also this isn't an MMO, neither is terraria, or minecraft. So why the heck would they handle client stuff individually instead of just doing checks on the character? That's silly. I said security doesn't = lag poor optimization does because poor optimization has a lot bigger effect than server security on these types of games.

Well I'd love to go into this more but it's 3 am here and I must sleep.

7. matt_is_a_fish

matt_is_a_fish Space Hobo

this is just people learning how to mod before they make great mods like in that of minecraft

8. nectarprime

nectarprime Sandwich Man

I know what you mean! When people use the codes for Doom and waltz right through the game, it makes me so mad!

Just kidding. I don't care what other people do in singleplayer games, becasue it doesn't affect me at all!

9. PinkTempest

PinkTempest Void-Bound Voyager

At this stage in the game, I don't mind cheats much at all. So long as you're using them to ruin another person's experience serverside, really who cares? Feeling impatient and just want to build your thing, why not give yourself the blocks. Want to coast through combat? Get late-game armor/weapons. Want to try out rare gear/items/etc, go ahead. Add to that the fact that our characters aren't permanent, and starting over from scratch can be frustrating.

That said, cheating to grief or otherwise impede others enjoying the game is terrible and pointless. There's no reason that justifies that.

As the game grows, I think cheating will have less of a place and will start to impede enjoyment, rather than add to it, and should rightly be phased out. When there's more to do and our accomplishments are permanent, then advancing without effort will take all the satisfaction out of the game, for ourselves and others.

10. tre288

tre288 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While I at times have been known to indulge in cheats when my interest in a game begins to dwindle, I think it would be counterintuitive if everyone began using cheats in the current stage of the game's development.

If I do begin using cheats in Starbound, it'll most likely be when the game is complete, and I have already taken in the complete experience.

11. OobleckTheGreen

OobleckTheGreen Space Kumquat

I think the Minecraft example someone used early on worked pretty well as an explanation to the OP's question. Both my sons and I like Minecraft. I like survival mode and I really like those world gen seeds that give you a "survival island" with nothing to start with but one tree. My oldest son likes to build complicated machines using redstone logic, and my youngest son drives us both crazy by doing little more than running around in creative mode throwing things at every living creature and being silly. But the point is, all 3 of us are having fun in our own way.

I think SB is doing it right by allowing mods right from the start. Mods are what made Minecraft great, and they'll probably do the same for SB. I personally don't like "cheater" mods, I like the ones that add more RP or adventure elements to the game, but that's just my playstyle. That's what's really great about games like SB and Minecraft: you get to play the way you want to. What's fun for you might be interminably boring for someone else and vice versa, and it's the mods that allow the game to be bent to each person's individual playstyle. I think it's brilliant.

Nerva and Jibs like this.
  12. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

You make your game. Let others cheat and get fun. Starbound was built with this in mind.

13. Knagar

Knagar Phantasmal Quasar

Depends on the cheats I guess and what people do with them.

If you are using them to grief multiplayer servers then no I don't agree with it.

If someone wishes to use them in helping build bases and structures to show off after they have beat the game then I see no problem in it.

It might ruin the game for you but it's really none of your business what someone else does with their game if it doesn't effect you right?

14. NeedsLoomis

NeedsLoomis Tentacle Wrangler

OP must be a politician.

Thiez likes this.
  15. Regios

Regios Master Chief

I like playing on open multiplayer servers, and the only thing I don't like is that all the items I've spent hours investing to gain have been easily earned by others through exploits. It trivializes the idea of having rare items of any sort, and it trivializes the time players invest to hunt for said items. It also diminishes any sense of achievement having earned anything. It's like when someone buys an expensive classic car that not many people have/ If everyone suddenly had that same classic car the next day, its personal value would diminish for the owner as a consequence. Suddenly, driving that special car doesn't seem so special anymore.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    Tranzsforma likes this.
  16. Andii

Andii Yeah, You!

I have now 43 Hours of Starbound and i'm already Sector X with Level 10 Planets and Weapon's with over 2000/3000/4000/5000 DPS

INFO: NO CHEATS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT! Just Power farming Coal and Ores

17. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Personally, when it comes to cheats, I use two standards - the Standard of Non-Interference and the Standard of Fun.

The Standard of Non-Interference is this:
    Is what you're doing interfering with someone else's enjoyment of the game?
    • If the answer is "no" then you're good.
    • If the answer is "yes" then you need to stop.

The Standard of Fun is this:
    Is what you're doing fun?
    • If the answer is "yes" then you're good.
    • if the answer is "no" then find something else to do.
    Cheating is not something I do to actually make progress (and I've taken 3 characters to T10 with full impervium equipment since the last wipe), but I have used cheats to explore the game and figure out how things work 'under the hood' so to speak, as well as to test bugs. I am perfectly OK with cheating in this context because it's not interfering with anyone else, and I'm having fun or learning something fascinating by doing it.

Tackle2 and Rydian like this.
  18. IceTF

IceTF Void-Bound Voyager

It's just far too easily abused online. It takes one person to ruin a server in one fell swoop. Otherwise there'd be no problem with it.

19. Moonbeam

Moonbeam Void-Bound Voyager

I believe that people with mods like that installed should not be allowed to join Vanilla Servers - Because modded weapons and items, while they aren't able to be seen by other players, are still able to be used. An example of this would be the 'Overpowered Gun' or the 'Super Matter Manipulator' - Both still working, although invisible.

20. Master Porky

Master Porky Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do we have the same sister?!