Modding Help Mods simply never showing up?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Deskdrawer, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Deskdrawer

Deskdrawer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, I've got 0 modding experience, I'm pretty sure I messed something up, but don't really know how.

I want to create my "own" race, though really mostly what I want to do is throw in some different asset images to make it look different. I found Skittlez Race Template and that looked like a good place to start! Downloaded the basic template 3.0.1 and followed the guide provided on it, after which I put it in my mod folder just to test it out really quick. Unfortunately, the mod wouldn't show up at all, the game ran fine, everything seemed to work, but the Race Template that was just altered in name and humanoid assets wasn't appearing. I decided to try to see if the 100% untouched, unedited race template would show up, so I just unpacked it to the mods folder, still nothing showed up.

Before I go too far further I'll throw some basic info to narrow it down. I'm using the Xbawks Character Extender through Steam Workshop, there are no other mods in the mods folder, all the pertinent info in the .species file is correct, nothing capitalized except for the name in charGenTextLabels, and even that I made lowercase just seeing if it would help. I've tried a completely stock unedited version of the race template, I've tried a version edited in terms of just race names and images, and several piece of by piece versions to find out if I was adding something that was breaking it along the way.

I've changed the metadata, I've tried NOT changing the metadata, nothing seems to work. What's weird is I tried the bunnykin mod, which I believe was also made by Skittlez, game crashed, log file revealing a couple instances of animation errors. I did download Playable Fenerox 1.8.0, and it DID work, so I tried applying some of the stuff I found there into my mod, just to see if I could get it to show up, but nothing worked.

I'm honestly not sure if the basic template is SUPPOSED to show up until you change something, but when I read through the guide I never found anything that specifically said you had to do something like that, both following the guide exactly, using the unedited template, and several versions inbetween yielded no result.

Sorry for the long winded info, just want to get all the little onesy twosey questions out of the way. As of now the game launches normally, the mod just won't appear as a selectable race. For what it's worth I'll include the log file, there does seem to be a chunk of errors popping up in relation to not being able to load image item assets, but when I mentioned it to Skittlez (Who seemed to also be stumped as to why it's not working at all) they didn't seem like it was a big deal.

Sorry again for the text wall, I appreciate any insight you can give me, like I said, no modding experience, I'm clueless how to get this to work.

https://pastebin.com/PWx8ahdN

2. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

If you can, zip up what you have so far and attach it to a post, I will look at it for you

3. Deskdrawer

Well, to be honest it's literally just the basic character template found here. https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/skittles-template-race-mod.956/ with some names changed. I kinda want to start with just figuring out why the stock template itself won't show up, but I can still give you what I have so far if you think it has value on top of this. For reference, it's literally just this template with the internal batch file ran that auto renames everything to your race, all the files are exactly the same otherwise.

4. projectmayhem

Seeing all the files will help. I can also put it in my mods folder to see if it shows up for me

5. Deskdrawer

Okie dokie!

Attached Files:

6. projectmayhem

[​IMG]

Worked for me, just as you sent it

7. Deskdrawer

That sucks so much, because it simply doesn't work for me. I wonder what weird thing is going on, on my end to cause this. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Starbound, installed the unstable version and tried it there, deleted all instances of Starbound and reinstalled it on a different drive.

I'm stumped.

8. Deskdrawer

Okay well I figured it out, file inside a file. It was the mod file, then another file, then all the assets inside.

I'm a goober, point and laugh. I TOLD YOU I WAS NEW AT THIS. Regardless, thanks for all your help man, at the very least you showed me it wasn't an issue with the internals and had something to do oddball on my end.

9. projectmayhem

Ahh.. figured that just came from how you zipped it. I would have pointed it out otherwise, glad you got it working though!

10. Deskdrawer

I appreciate it! It's all done and running as intended now haha.