Mods for Stardew Valley in Mac?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kenneth2345, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Kenneth2345

Kenneth2345 Intergalactic Tourist

Is there any method of installing mods in Stardew Valley on Mac?

I don't have a PC so i had to use the wineskin wrapper method to play. Is there any possible way on how you can install mods in Stardew Valley in Mac?

• mrobake

mrobake Zero Gravity Genie

I don't know quarter about Mac computer. But if the executable programming using the wineskin in Mac will treat those files the same as in Windows, some mods only required you to overwrite the original data (.xnb files) without needing to install other program such as SMAPI and Storm. Usually such mods are portrait and sprite of character.

• ssokolow

ssokolow Cosmic Narwhal

Wineskin is Wine adapted to the Mac style of self-contained application bundles, so the same basic principles should apply equally well to Wine, Wineskin, PlayOnLinux, and PlayOnMac.

For mods that just involve replacing XNB files, just right-click the SDV bundle and choose "Show Package Contents". Inside, you'll find a folder named drive_c containing a tree of folders representing a fake Windows install.

That said, it apparently is tricky to get SMAPI installed inside Wine-based systems like PlayOnLinux because SDV requires XNA 4 which requires .NET 4.0, SMAPI requires .NET 4.5, and the two .NET installers like to break each other under Wine unless you install them in a very particular way.

You'll probably need to build your own Wineskin by adapting these instructions to match the technique explained for plain ordinary Wine in this post. You'll probably also want to consult the Wineskin manual. (I'm a Linux user without a single Mac-using friend or family member, so I can't help you any further than that.)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
          mrobake likes this.