Mods coming to pS4?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Kluster, Dec 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kluster

Kluster Space Hobo

Will mod capabilities come to ps4/xone? It would be cool to toy around with it.

• GreenWombat

GreenWombat Cosmic Narwhal

Not likely

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

No, those platforms will never have modding as we do it now, neither platform allows for code to be run unvalidated as is required for SMAPI to work.

Cemo likes this.
        • fudge5962

fudge5962 Phantasmal Quasar

Could there be a possibility of Concerned Ape embracing the mod community and incorporating a mod framework directly into Stardew?

With how much he listens to his player community, I haven't really seen him touch on the subject of mods.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

It still wouldnt be like we have now, neither platform allows for unrestricted code to run, a vital component of how SMAPI mods work, a whole separate mod framework would have to be created that doesn't need unrestricted code...
            While a nice idea, it would be a massive task to support even half the things mods can currently do with just such a framework

(As a thought experiment, I've been having a look at how much effort it would be to create a wrapper that enables Lua-based mods, and it takes a huge amount of work just to wrap the most used parts, more complex mod features, such as what ALL does, or GetDressed simply are to complex and specific for a framework to deal with.

Androxilogin likes this.
            • foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

^In other words, even if there was official modding support, it would be limited at best.
              @Entoarox Of course enabling Lua-scripting isn't feasible: it's one of the few things I'm decent at :poo::rofl:

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Oh, enabling it is quite feasible actually, But even at best, you would still be limited in what you can do compared to raw C#, and that is if I just give the Lua direct access to the CLR rather then wrapping things. (And that wouldn't work on consoles anyhow, since you'd still be running unrestricted code)

• foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh well..when this gen's consoles finally get their firmware exploits in 2037, I'll be ready! /s

• Blubba

Blubba Void-Bound Voyager

He has mentioned modding before but in the sense that "if it's working as intended then i dont see a problem, if you dont like it then you can always find the mod for it"

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

His public stated opinion on modding seems to boil down to "I know about it, am curious and interested in playing around with things people have done, but it isn't really in my personal focus right now"
                      Of course, for all we know he is sneakily lurking around reading everything we do in total awe.... even if it is unlikely.... :p

• ClxS

ClxS Pangalactic Porcupine

Zero chance of it happening really. CA wouldn't only have to add support for modding in Stardew itself, he'd have to get permission from the platform holders which isn't likely to happen unless we're talking about things as small as XNB replacement mods.

It's a shame though, I prefer playing on PS4 than PC. :)

• farminGg0d

farminGg0d Space Hobo

i hear tons of gamer on console will support mods fallout 4 does ark will next what stardew gtta do is just create a mod menu dwnload on game wth webste where can dwnload certify mods or watever just like fallout 4

• farminGg0d

farminGg0d Space Hobo

tbh i just want mre stuff to do or mre updates b4 mods but i seen allot i really like thou

• Voltaic123

Voltaic123 Pangalactic Porcupine

Did you have a stroke whilst typing those?? Anyways, Fallout is different in that the original pc game had mod support long before console. Bethesda games tend to be heavily modded. Stardew is a different story. If you want mods i suggest buying the PC version