RELEASED ModDrop (Mod Manager for Stardew Valley) 2018-11-06

Install, Uninstall, Backup Files, Drag and Drop support, Auto Updates, Sharing and lots more.

1. Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@M0dScientist: Logging client activity to a log file might be useful, so you could see details about what is happening while it hangs or when troubleshooting other issues (e.g. maybe it would show "[02:00:15] Service connecting to <URL>..." and "[02:00:45] Service connection timed out: <HTTP details>").

• M0dScientist

M0dScientist Void-Bound Voyager

Good idea. I'll see if we can find an easy way to change configs within the client.

Unfortunately it's hard to know which file were generated by a mod and which were generated by the game, which makes deleting files ModDrop didn't put there dangerous. Which mod is causing issues for you?

• BrandonPotter0

BrandonPotter0 Big Damn Hero

Almost every SMAPI mod that generates a new, most times a config.json (If one is not present), when the game is launched. Then when the mod is uninstalled, the newly generated files for those mods are left behind, and SMAPI tries to read them ,and causes the game to crash.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

SMAPI won't crash if there's a config left behind, it'll just display a warning like this:
          upload_2017-4-27_15-32-47.png

• BrandonPotter0

Which is more crap that fills up the console log :rofl:

• M0dScientist

ModDrop currently deletes .json files created by mods when uninstalling them. The exception is when it's not clear which mod created the .json file. Is there a specific mod leaving behind files after being uninstalled?

• BrandonPotter0

Unfortunatly, there were a few of them. Cant name them off the top of my head, but I found that if one 'Deletes Cached Content' Then deletes the mod, no files are left behind.

• M0dScientist

You shouldn't have to delete the cache or remove the mod from your library to delete the mod content (and config files) from your game. You just need to uninstall the mod. "Delete cached content" deletes the local backup (downloaded copy) of the mod from ModDrop's archive folder, which has nothing to do with content installed in your game's directory.

• M0dScientist

We're looking into this. ModDrop currently creates crash logs, but because the client isn't actually "crashing" in this instance, logs aren't being created. There's some quick and dirty logging we can do that we plan to add to the next patch. We'll see how useful it is. Chances are we'll need to spend a bit more time on this if we want a better long term solution.

• BrandonPotter0

ModDrop didnt detect the release of 1.11 of SMAPI. Had to install it manually.

ModDrop then says that it still only has 1.10 installed, and doesnt detect 1.11 but the SMAPI console confirms Im running 1.11

• M0dScientist

ModDrop checks for new versions of SMAPI when the client first loads up your SDV library. After that it's set to check every few hours. If it's not showing up right away and you don't wait, restarting the client will force it to check again.

• godlcd

godlcd Big Damn Hero

I can't use it because it denies my login without reasons.

• M0dScientist

Hey Godlcd, we had some server scaling issues that should be resolved now. Are you still having troubles logging in?

• Aryade

Aryade Void-Bound Voyager

Trying to install a mod from the browse function inside of ModDrop and I keep getting an error message. [​IMG]

• Pianobeats

Pianobeats Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is there any way to edit the config files? Some mods have config files in them, but I don't see anything in the manager that allows me to edit it.

• M0dScientist

Thanks for the heads up Aryade. Just fixed this issue and pushed out a fix. Let me know if the error comes up again.

• M0dScientist

Hey Pianobeats. We don't currently have a way to edit configs in the client, but I'll see about pushing that feature up the priority list.

Pianobeats likes this.
                                    • Thanks for the easy instructions on steam achievements!

M0dScientist likes this.
                                      • IridiumGiant

IridiumGiant Lucky Number 13

I bit of background: I’ve been playing computer games since the commodore 64 and over the years I’ve found there are certain games that you just keep coming back to. Stardew Valley is one of those games for me. I picked it up in late 2017 and have logged over 400 hours into the game. After my first play through, I started dabbling with adding mods to the game. Before long I had 100+ mods installed. Then a big update came out that broke the way mods were used, which meant I’d need to track down and install updated versions of nearly every mod. That’s when I decided it was about time I look for a mod manager.

I already had Nexus’s Vortex installed so I gave that a shot first. This just resulted in several frustrating hours of failed attempts to get it to do what it was supposed to. I asked around a bit on Discord, I someone suggested I try using moddrop (which I had never heard of).
                                        Now, I’ve been into games long enough to become pretty jaded. Back in the day it was DRM, today it’s free-to-pay shenanigans (aka: lootboxes) and free speech suppression. So when start using a new “free” gaming service, I go in expecting there to be gotchas. Even when things appear great to start off, I’m always waiting for the shoe to drop. It takes time to build my trust. Yet here I am, well over a year into using Moddrop and I have only good things to say about it.

I’m not normally someone who posts positive reviews about stuff and when I read reviews that are too good, I assume there’s some ulterior motive. I do however seem to write a lot of negative reviews, especially for games with predatory monetization schemes. I also rarely come across products that exceed my expectations, so when I find one that goes above and beyond, I feel the need to share my experience, if only to counter all the negative reviews I give out. I looked around a bit and this seemed to be the only forum where people were actively discussing moddrop, so I make an account just so I could post this. So here goes….

----

Moddrop is easily the best mod manager I've ever used (for any game). When I first downloaded it I just hoped for something to keep my mods organized, but it does so much more. Batch installation, loadout switching and auto game save backups have made modding Stardew Valley a dream. I just started using modpacks a bit and I'm blown away how easy they are to make and maintain. This actually applies to all the features of the app: The UI is simple to understand and even the more complicated features are easy to figure out.

Also, Moddrop continues to get regular updates and new features, which doesn't even make sense considering it's completely free! With so many money grubbing game services out there (I'm looking at you Nexus), it's nice to see some people still believe in putting the community first.

Moddrop is far better than it has any right to be and I can't recommend it enough. Huge thanks to the folks who make and maintain the app. You've made a loyal fan out of this old gamer.

PS. Have you thought about setting up a patreon page or adding a “donate” option? I seriously love that's it's free, but tbh I'd be happy to pay (donate?) a little bit just to keep getting updates.

(Just posted my review on the download page as well. )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2019
                                          M0dScientist likes this.
                                        • Webbstre

Webbstre Big Damn Hero

Thank you so much! I've been doing CM work for ModDrop for a while now, and it really helps to see something nice like this. ModScientist definitely has a dream in his head of the kind of awesome service he wants to provide, and trying it out is what convinced me to throw in my support as well.

There are plans for some kind of monetization though, which I don't know the current full details on but the idea behind it was definitely to do something like what Discord Nitro does, where everyone can use it for free but there will be perks for subscribers.