Modding Discussion Modding on Mac OS X (Help please)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by armoredelephant, Dec 11, 2013.

1. armoredelephant

armoredelephant Space Hobo

I have noticed in the mod installation guides to go to the corresponding operating system folder to edit the .config file; however, there is only Linux and Win32. So we cannot mod on Mac OS X?

2. deep_pants_mcgee

deep_pants_mcgee Seal Broken

Go to the finder and select Go > Go to Folder and paste in the following:

~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound

That will take you to your local Starbound directory, in here you'll find all the files you're looking for.

However, you want just the Mac config file. No problem.

If you're in the Starbound directory after using the above command, you'll see the "Starbound.app" file in that directory. Right click on it and select "Explore package contents"

Inside you'll find the mac version of the boostrap.config file.

If you just want to go to that folder, and you don't need to mess with any other Starbound files, you can use this string instead from your "Go > Go to Folder" selection above:

~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/Starbound.app/Contents/MacOS

Skelteon likes this.
  3. armoredelephant

Thanks I'll try this out once I finish some work. Hopefully, editing this bootstrap.config will get these mods working on the mac partition.

Nevermind, broke my client. I forgot we cannot edit any game files on Mac OS X or the client breaks and will not load :zzz:. We can't even copy/replace out player files. Thanks though.

4. deep_pants_mcgee

Really? Now I want to load some mods and see if and how it breaks. :)

5. armoredelephant

Well we have figured out that deleting the player folder afterwards will make the game capable to load again; however, this defeats the purpose of trying to restore our saved files. Also, the hidden files .DS_Store and .Localised may have something to do with it, but deleting just these does not work either.

6. Eralem

Eralem Space Hobo

So we can't mod on mac ? I remember doing with minecraft and it worked well

7. armoredelephant

Possibly in Mountain Lion, but with Mavericks editing the player folder, the bootstrap.config, assets, or universe folders will cause the game to not load. Replacing the folders with originals will work in most cases. Deleting the .DS_Store & .Localized will not resolve the issue.

Edit - After doing a full reinstall, I was able to replace the entire player folder with my most recent one. The game loaded this time, but didn't last time I tried. Perhaps it was a conflict with having Stream running when changing the files. I'll test some more later.

8. iWilliblecha

iWilliblecha Astral Cartographer

Same here. Thats annoying! I hope they will build in a native mod support soon!

9. Eralem

Eralem Space Hobo

Actually I'm using mavericks .... That's kinda strange.. but for games like skyrim it just didn't work soo I think it dépends on the game :p I don't have starbound yet so I cannot tell wether it's tonna work or no on my machine

10. iWilliblecha

Funny because I have no problem with my Skyrim Wine port. ^^

11. deep_pants_mcgee

Ok, I got the modding to work no problem, took a screen shot of the mod in use as well. (Edit: This is in 10.9)

How to mod your files on a Mac.

It's basically very similar to the Linux and Windows versions, but the directory structure is a bit different, and the location of the mods folder relative to the application itself is different.

So, what I wrote above still holds true. To load mods on a Mac:

Navigate to your Starbound folder:

(Go > Go to Folder from the finder, paste in: ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound

This will bring you to your Starbouhd directory. In this directory, create a folder called "mods" (see image 1) Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 11.37.49 AM.png

All of your future mods will go into this folder. Because of OS X's path structure, I tend to remove space names from the mods I load.

For my example I used the Glowing lamp mod, which I renamed to "glowing" Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 11.37.59 AM.png

Once I made the proper mod folder and added the mod, you need to edit the bootstrap.config file.

For Mac users, this is located inside the actual Starbound.app file. Right click (or ctrl click for laptop users) and select "Show Package Contents" Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 11.38.14 AM.png

From here, just edit the file in Text Edit (although I used the terminal and nano just to be safe, it appeared to work either way. The exact text to get this mod to work means you change your bootstrap config as follows.

Code:
    {
      "assetSources" : [
        "../../../assets"
      ],
      "storageDirectory" : "../../../"
    }

TO:

Code:
    {
      "assetSources" : [
        "../../../assets",
        "../../../mods/glowing"
      ],
      "storageDirectory" : "../../../"
    }

NOTE: You must add the comma after the "assets" line or it won't load anything past that line. (the last asset line loaded is the only one w/o a comma.)

Copy/paste the quotes that were already in the document. If you use the ones from your keyboard it won't work.

Also note, unlike the Linux and Win mods, there are an extra set of ../ 's included in the address. This is because of the app/directory structure for the Mac OS, so adjust the mod location accordingly. I've seen the wrong recommended path in a few mods for Mac users.

Hopefully this helps!

Lanterns!

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 11.33.50 AM.png

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  12. iWilliblecha

Don't work, I tried that before. StarBound will just open for a second and then close again.
    And yes, I did everything right.
    :/

13. deep_pants_mcgee

Would you mind posting what you have in your boostrap.config file and a screenshot of the directory setup?

14. armoredelephant

Thanks for this, I will try it soon. Were you able to get Starbound to fully launch after doing this, and did you have Steam running when you made the changes?

15. deep_pants_mcgee

Yes, I landed on the planet, crafted some stuff, mined for a bit, shot back up to my ship etc. Played for about five minutes and it appeared to be fine.

Steam was running at the time. The game happily launches from Steam or just clicking on the app.

I wonder if the mod you're using has another issue with it? I thought it might have been working on the file via terminal instead of text edit, but I just opened the bootstrap.config file, added a space, deleted it and resaved the document. Game still launches fine and I can play no issues.

16. iWilliblecha

I can give you a screenshot of the directory (even if it is the same like yours, I guess. I didn't change anything) and I will try to modify the boostrap.config again. I will sent you a screenshot in a few minutes.

Attached Files:

• dsds.png
      File size:
      617.2 KB
      Views:
  17. armoredelephant

Well the thing is that replacing player saves or assets can cause the game to no longer launch also. Sometimes not right away.

Here's an example:

I initially started playing on my Windows partition, but wanted to use my Mac partition instead. I copied my file and transferred it to the Mac partition. The game worked fine all night and then the next day it would not load. I read some things on the forums and deleted my "player" folder and it loaded fine. I just have no idea what is causing the game to no longer be able to load.

Are you able to exit the game + steam, and relaunch both without failure?

18. deep_pants_mcgee

Yes. I just quit Steam, brought up Terminal to make sure nothing was running in the background, still able to run the game with the mod working fine. Created a new character just to see if they worked, no problem there either. I tried loading the attachment you added previously but it said it wasn't able to load the file at this time.

19. armoredelephant

Ok well I'll definitely try this on Lunch and see if I can keep the game functioning.

20. iWilliblecha

Here is my bootstrap.cfg

Game closed instantly!

[​IMG]