Modding Discussion Modding character creation: can it be done?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by DraikNova, Mar 6, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Changing what you can create via the character creation screen is quite simple. However, what I want to know is whether the character creation screen itself can be modified. Why I want this is quite simple: there are a number of limits in what can be changed in the options for a species, and the traditional workaround has been to add multiple species files. I would like to know whether I could theoretically modify the interface so that, after selecting the actual species (as in the conceptual one), I could then use another button to switch from the default species variant (as in the species file) to a different one. If I could further modify the interface so as to hide some elements, so much the better. Obvious uses for this would be adding different body types to species, making Florans single-sex, and the like.

2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

yes, that's how Xbawks character creation mod works, even adding an option allowing you to see the underwear color on humans so you can choose a color you want

for switching variants, check the Slime race mod, bc they hav every color twice: 1 with a base of slime, 1 without

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

In that case, I guess my long term goal is going to be to set up a tool to do this easily. Setting up the backend shouldn't be too difficult. Just a matter of figuring out which data storage types to use and how to link them to the actual species files and the gender entry within them. Thoughts? The only thing I can think of is making the species author figure out the matrix of genders*variationtype1*... manually.

4. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

i think u can make both variants on the same sprite sheet with one one set of colors and the other another and when you change colors have one variant make the other's colors completely transparent (xxxxxx00) and the other use all