Modding Help Modding Assistance

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Cryptoid, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Cryptoid

Cryptoid Pangalactic Porcupine

Thanks for the advice. And also I fixed the problem.

The Avelon likes this.
  2. Cryptoid

Quick question. Is it possible to define the arms as "right arm" and "left arm", as separate entities. the reason is that I'm slightly tired of seeing my character using his left arm for 2 handed weapons. That and I have an idea that involves this.

3. Cryptoid

I'm trying to see if it's possible to create actual power armor.
    Edit: What I mean is to create a suit of power armor like the mini-mechs but as an armor similar to Fallout 4.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  4. Cryptoid

Here is a little sneak peak.
    Intersec-Enforcer Suit Up(Valnor).gif
    A suit up animation that I made.

5. Cryptoid

And here is a Heavy armor variant.
    Heavy Armor.gif

6. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

Heres what I can tell you. No one has done animated armour in Starbound.

From my knowledge Nebulox#7750 on discord has theorized this to be possible (something something frames file). I am happy to be corrected :p

7. Cryptoid

Well I was thinks to make it a tech that when toggled would trigger the animation and give your character a boost in stats, along with armor points.

8. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, that is possible via status effects. The hard part won't be implementing the stats or the on/off animation but rather the movement animations with the armor on, or worse activating it while moving.

I wonder if you can call the current frame of the player's animation state. Then you could make your power armor animation frames be just like regular armor and force it to sync with the player animation each time any input change occurs.

To make it look right while moving I guess you would just need to have 5 different on/off animations for standing, walking, running, swimming, jumping. I'd just disable it if the player is lounging so you can ignore sitting/sleeping and just have the normal fully formed armor sprites for those.

9. Cryptoid

That was what I was planning on doing.

Edit: I saw that this was possible to make mechs a tech, but it was only during the beta build version. I plan on building upon this and make power armor instead.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  10. Cryptoid

Although to balance it out, I was going to make a requirement to wear the under armor, as seen in the below, in the actual armor slots. Then the power armor could be triggered for use. The power armor would take up the chest and legs tech slots, leaving the head alone for distortion spheres. Inspired from the xsmechs mod: vehicle edition, the power armor is going to use your personal energy for attacks and other actions, while the armor would be the standard vehicle health limit (can be repaired at Rob Repair).
    I am contemplating on if I should make a upgrading/modular system to the power armor. But that would require a lua file to create and I have no idea how lua files work.

The "Under Armor".
    Full Body.png

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  11. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

You don't have to consume tech slots in addition to armor slots. You can just add in your keybind for the on/off transformation and the techs can work as nornal. What I meant with it being hard to animate while moving is the transformation itself. The easiest thing code wise would be to require the player be grounded (so not jumping/swimming) and disable controls briefly while it is happening. The player freezes in place and the armor goes on or off. It's pretty quick so it shouldn't hurt anything.

If I'm not mistaken, the mech tech from beta summoned it and you still had to activate it to get in, I think. This may be wrong though - I didn't actually play SB back then.

Cryptoid likes this.
  12. Cryptoid

Thank you for the advice.

13. Cryptoid

These won't work. Please help.

Attached Files:

14. DrPvtSkittles

Your main problem is you can't put your race mods, into an additional folder. I am assuming you want these 2 races in one mod, while you can grab the contents from one renamed template, and slap it into another, there will be some files you will need to manually edit to include all the races in your mod.

ai.config.patch [ai]
    charcreation.config.patch [interface\windowconfig]
    player.config.patch [in the main folder]
    protectorateship.object.patch [objects\protectorate\objects\protectorateship]
    quests.config.patch [quests]
    shiplocker.treasurepools.patch [treasure]
    universe_server.config.patch [in the main folder]
    All .patch files in your dialog folder

I've noticed in your species file, you refer to clothing items that start with a capital letter. Do not make your 'itemnames' start with a capital, JSON doesn't like it.

I the shinjun speices file, there was a comma at the end of line 165 that needed to be removed.

15. Cryptoid

Ok thanks.

16. Cryptoid

And this is beyond me. Please help.

Attached Files:

17. DrPvtSkittles

boosterflamepolunian changed to boosterflamekorin in blockkey.config

Recipes were askin for polunian stuff instead of korin.

Missing comma at the end of descriptions for objects.

Removed quotes around the word "magical" in the merchant description

Attached Files:

Cryptoid likes this.
  18. Cryptoid

Thanks.

19. DrPvtSkittles

All g. How familiar are you with the log? I am happy to help, but I am wondering if you'd like some guidance in troubleshooting?

20. Cryptoid

I'm pretty familiar with the log but when trying to figure out the problem, it just gave me incomprehensible lines talking about how the game itself was experiencing problems. This was why I posted the mod here, in hopes of someone figuring out the problem while I fix, or at least figure out, the problem.
    I'm all good now though, was just my computer being weird.