1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Modding and You!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheRev, Mar 8, 2012.

?

What Programing Languages do you know?

1. Machine Language (Assembly)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Embeddable languages (Python, Ruby)

7.7%
  3. Visual Language (VB, C#)

38.5%
  4. Procedural languages (C++, COBOL)

46.2%
  5. Other (Lots more out there.. and it's one of those)

15.4%
  6. None of the Above

38.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRev

TheRev Industrial Terraformer

I have heard many people talk about their interest in modding, and I was actually just curious about what kind of "Skill Base" people have? I left the selection on multi-select as many people who have programed for a while know multiple languages, and just because the game is written in C++, that other knowledge is still important to have.

Feel free to post below specifics about the knowledge if you want, or just vote it is up to you. But it should be interesting in knowing who knows what for future modding ideas, or projects.

I also tried to keep the categories as general as I could so just choose whichever one best fits what you are looking for!

2. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

I was thinking about learning some programming so I could start getting my feet wet with modding.
    Could you or anyone else reccommend a good place to start if I wanted to eventually work on modding?

3. TheRev

Well since the game is written in C++ I will say http://www.cplusplus.com/ (Under Documentation/C++ Language Tutorials)

Though I warn ya C++ is not the easiest place to start, but if you can get some general concepts down when the game comes out it might make things easier for you. It will take lots of time to get started, and will be frustrating.. (Oh I promise you.. it will be frustrating..:p) But here are some simple concepts to figure out.. Variables, Conditions, Iteration, functions, and Classes.

When the actual code comes out for the game, it will be easier to mess with as you can just change stuff, and see what it does. But if you don't know the parts then it will be hard to figure out what to change. Stick with the tutorials, learn the basics, and then when the game comes around just mess with things till ya figure it out a little more. Also always remember the Tutorials are there to check up on things you don't understand.

Good Luck on this!

Aviakio and Jermex like this.
  4. TheRev

Thanks to those who responded.. Usually the "Modding Community" isn't that large, but the number of people who know C++ (The language Starbound is in) was more then I though it would be this early!

But as I said it is early in the process, and hopefully as the game gets released, and more information about modding comes up, more people who know how to do this will show up. For those who may want to start, now is the time as there is much to learn, and that will take a bit of time. But there is still plenty of time, as Modding usually doesn't even get started till much after the release

5. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Mostly c++, with some c# and lua.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.