Modding abilities

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by APXEOLOG, Dec 7, 2013.

1. APXEOLOG

APXEOLOG Void-Bound Voyager

Hello. I've watched through game resources and i've noticed that there's not much can be really modded. There's no way to modify / create new logic, only ability to create new tiers of existing items.

So my question is: will you guys add any way to modify/create new logic (like scripting language support etc). I love this game and i hope it will be more moddable.

2. Black--snow

Black--snow Cosmic Narwhal

Agreed. :)

3. Zakamius

Zakamius Void-Bound Voyager

Some people are working on a modding api right now, just be patient.

4. APXEOLOG

APXEOLOG Void-Bound Voyager

That's nice. I can help if they need, since i'm a programmer too.

5. CrateMuncher

CrateMuncher Big Damn Hero

Something like MinecraftForge would be glorious.

6. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can add scripting to activated objects. Look at the Spawners.

7. Ghoul159

Ghoul159 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

like supergeek said you can at least add lua code to your object you can look at the boss objects for that too

8. Derfpace

Derfpace Cosmic Narwhal

So far I haven't needed any new logic, and I've already coded a large variety of stuff. (I am working on an alchemy table prototype right now)

9. Ceetee

Ceetee Void-Bound Voyager

actually, looking through the boss summon items, it is possible to just script something yourself. All bosses are currently summoned through scripted items, using .lua files, instead of predefined events.

With some more going through the files by the community (or, preferably, some good documentation on the part of chucklefish), you could add entirely new functions for items and objects to the game.

Ghoul159 likes this.
  10. Ghoul159

it's true we could use some sort of code reference with some usefull examples but of course they have lots of things to do with the beta so we just have to be a bit patient..

11. Black--snow

Black--snow Cosmic Narwhal

Scripting bosses and scripting features and logic are two totally different things. :p

12. You guys could always contribute to the modding effort. I have already been so kind as to go through the painstaking process of figuring out all of the Lua commands.

You can find them here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/lua-api-exposed-sort-of.41408/

13. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Per Kyren, the "scripting" tag in items isn't supported for anything other than wire objects. I'm not sure I'm explaining it right, though.

*Actual quote added for clarity.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  14. Ghoul159

yea i knew that but you can spawn monsters from lua too :)

15. you can do ALOT with lua.

16. Ghoul159

indeed and lua is not the most difficult scripting language :)