Tutorial Modding 101 Video Tutorials

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Peelz, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

You're welcome! I'm glad the videos were helpful, and if there is anything else you'd like me to make a video about, please let me know!

2. hanleybrand

hanleybrand Phantasmal Quasar

An easy way to wade into regex is to use a website like regex101.com. (unfortunately it won't actually do the regex for you on your files, it just lets you paste a sample text into a frame and try writing regex against it)

Check out this Starboard example I made for a different thread last night: https://regex101.com/r/sX5hM4/1

The | Suit likes this.
  3. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Thanks for that! I've actually been learning regex in my most recent class! I still need to figure out how to regex search on Sublime Text, if it's possible.

4. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

There's lots of cool topics that I personally would enjoy. NPC creation, dungeons/missions, quests, biomes are just some.

5. SaintBrew

SaintBrew Scruffy Nerf-Herder

it really help me start thank you.

6. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Added another video to the series. It covers some very basic Lua concepts. That video actually concludes the modding 101 series. I plan to create a new series VERY soon that will cover some more specific modding examples and more advanced concepts. Stay tuned!

7. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

I love it (even know I know how to do it)
    Could you possibly upload one for creating a codex or a custom ship?

8. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

That sort of thing will be covered in my next tutorial series which I am super excited about! Hopefully I can have the first video out in the next couple of days!

haynesy566 likes this.
  9. Cross Czech

Cross Czech Phantasmal Quasar

Thank you so much. Your tutorials are awesome. I learned so much.
    I'm trying to use your Super Pickaxe videos as a base to make some crossbows.
    Ideally, I want to use generic assets so it is compatible with multiplayer, but can't seem to get it right.
    Like where to put the items JSON, if it should be called CROSSBOW or CROSSBOW.GENERATEDGUN, etc.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

There are two different types of guns in the game: unique guns and randomly generated guns. You want to make the first kind. I don't have the assets in front of me right now but I should be able to shed some light on this... tomorrow I think.

And thanks for the compliments! I'm glad my tutorials were helpful to you!