Tutorial Modding 101 Video Tutorials

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Peelz, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Hello all!

For a while now I've been thinking that we need more tutorials for Starbound modding. There are lots of great written tutorials already though, so I thought I'd take a stab at doing a video tutorial series. I've never made any tutorial videos before so please be patient as I learn the process.

This video tutorial series is targeted at beginning modders who may have never touched code before. I intend to eventually progress to making videos that cover more advanced concepts, but the primary goal here is to give even the most inexperienced modders a solid foundation to build on.

So far I have only recorded one video and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get any feedback from both brand-new modders AND from experienced modders alike. Please let me know what makes sense, what doesn't, and correct any errors in my explanations.

I will link to each video in the series below as it is created. Thanks for watching!​

Lesson #1: Intro to modding, starbound files, and modding tools:

Lesson #2: Basics of Patching:

Lesson #3: JSON syntax and usage:

Lesson #4(Parts 1 & 2): Creating a simple item mod:

The finished mod can be downloaded here: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/superpick-tutorial-mod.2897/

Lesson #6: Basic Lua:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ1tbQArblo&list=PLtJnGcSTB24u3qOZkJlI5nHH-Jp0hA6SQ&index=6

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Not a bad start.
    Don't forget to focus a little time on how to do a file searcb both through windows and through sublime text.
    Knowing how to use the internal file search engine will help find associations quite easily.
    For NP++ its "Find in Files" I don't know about sublime text.

I also added your primary link into the modding guides thread.

RatixFarrence likes this.
  3. GROVER CURES HOUSES

GROVER CURES HOUSES Void-Bound Voyager

NP++ is abysmal at searching through lots of files, you need to use something more specialized. Comedy option #1: PowerGREP. Comedy option #2: Powershell... except it's a pretty legitimate way to go.

Code:
    >ls . -r -filter *.aicommand | ss -pattern "showtech" -context 0,1

> ai\upgradeship1.aicommand:21:  "action" : "showTech",
      ai\upgradeship1.aicommand:22:  "techName" : [ "doublejumpTech", "dashTech", "bounceTech" ]  
    > ai\upgradeship4.aicommand:22:  "action" : "showTech",
      ai\upgradeship4.aicommand:23:  "techName" : [ "groundsmash", "rocketjump", "boatTech" ]  
    > ai\upgradeship5.aicommand:22:  "action" : "showTech",
      ai\upgradeship5.aicommand:23:  "techName" : [ "morphballTech", "gravitybubbletech", "lightrig", "skyrailTech" ]  
    > ai\upgradeship6.aicommand:22:  "action" : "showTech",
      ai\upgradeship6.aicommand:23:  "techName" : [ "targetblinktech", "ftlboostTech", "rocketbootsTech" ]  
    > ai\upgradeship7.aicommand:22:  "action" : "showTech",
      ai\upgradeship7.aicommand:23:  "techName" : [ "energyregen", "bubbleboost", "shieldTech" ]  
    > ai\upgradeship8.aicommand:22:  "action" : "showTech",
      ai\upgradeship8.aicommand:23:  "techName" : [ "humanMechTech", "regeneration", "particlethrust" ] 

4. The | Suit

Most people are not aware - but regex is supported in np++ also.

5. GROVER CURES HOUSES

GROVER CURES HOUSES Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, it just isn't any good for anything past a simple regex going across a couple of files. I'm not suggesting powershell, but a regex GUI + the knowledge of how to use it would be a massive asset to newbie modders.

6. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Man... I guess I should learn how to use regex first then ;)

The | Suit likes this.
  7. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

so, when are you going to move on to showing scrubs like me how to add a modified tool to the game?

8. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

As soon as this semester is over... I hope :)

9. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Second vid is up. Basic patching concepts. Should help with things like modding custom tools and such, but I will do a tutorial specifically about that later on down the line.

The | Suit and RatixFarrence like this.
  10. RatixFarrence

RatixFarrence Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Amazing tutorials Peelz! Great for those who prefer visual aids.

Peelz likes this.
  11. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Thanks! Hopefully there will be more coming soon!

TheCr00ner likes this.
  12. Jareix Cryvix

Suggestion for next video:
    Adding an new item to the game.

13. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Several new vids up for you all! I uploaded a video giving more details on JSON as well as a two-part video on creating a simple item mod. There you go @Jareix Cryvix !

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  14. The | Suit

I should probably warn you now that there is a forum limit of 5 media embeds per post.
    also you can use the spoiler=something to give the spoiler a name.

15. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have to start converting some of them to regular ol' links. Also, thanks for the spoiler tag tip!

16. Jareix Cryvix

Wow! Thanks for the modding tutorials! These have really helped me you're out where I güfed up! Thanks a bunch!
    Also, would you mind putting up the superpickaxe mod for download as a reference?

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Peelz likes this.
  17. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

That's a great idea! I'll upload it when I can get back to my computer!

18. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Ok, the finished superPick mod is uploaded for anyone who wants to download it to use as reference. Link in first post.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  19. renojonathanr

renojonathanr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Interesting.

20. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

This was very help.

Thank you