1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Mod Updater Crashing my game?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by bigtallglassofnope, Jan 3, 2018.

1. bigtallglassofnope

bigtallglassofnope Space Hobo

I have a shit ton of mods, and they all worked perfectly before the update (1.3.3). I uninstalled the game, looked at the error logs, and finally got it to work. Then, I noticed something strange. The mod updater screen showed up, and I had never seen it before. I let it run its course, but it crashed after about 5 minutes of updating. I checked the error logs and found this: https://pastebin.com/28FUumVk

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Code:
    Packed assets file format unrecognized
    Sounds like your normal assets got corrupted. Try validating your game files through steam.

~ Iris ~

3. bigtallglassofnope

Validated them, the game crashed after relaunching and got the same error log. I'm not sure which file is the unrecognized one. "packed.pak" shouldn't be unrecognized, since it's just a .pak file, but I noticed the "_metadata" file had no file extension. I'm no coder, but maybe that's it?

4. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

_metadata is supposed to not have a file extension

5. bigtallglassofnope

If that's the case, I honestly have no idea what's crashing my game. Everything worked fine before the update, then I updated it (through steam, though. The updating mods screen didn't show up until later) and everything was still working fine, but closed the game at one point and opened it back up, and that's when the updating mods screen showed up. Halfway through the updating process, it just crashed, and wouldn't open up after that.

6. Nexus Of Chaos

is _metadata in the assets folder? if it is, that may b the prob as _metadata is for mods and is supposed to b in the mod folder or .pak

it is also supposed to b in the packed.pak, but still not directly in the assets folder

7. bigtallglassofnope

Well, that might explain it; my _metadata file is in the User folder in assets. I'm not sure if it's in the packed.pak file, nor do I know how to check it. Should I move the _metadata file to the mods folder?

8. Nexus Of Chaos

the _metadata in user should b there

anything that contains game assets should be either a folder or .pak file containing a _metadata file in the top directory of the folder or file, and the folder or .pak file should be in the top directory of either assets or mods. these include packed.pak (base game, .pak), user (instrument music, folder), and any mods (often .pak, but some are folders. used to be .modpak, but now those are outdated)

directory:
    • Starbound
      • assets
        • packed.pak
          • game assets
          • _metadata
        • user
          • instrument songs
          • _metadata
      • mods
        • somemod
          • game assets
          • _metadata
        • modxyz.pak
          • game assets
          • _metadata
    _metadata should not appear anywhere else

9. bigtallglassofnope

That's odd. In my mod folder, all I see is _metadata and mods_go_here. Should I put my mods in that folder? I also asked one of my friends to check their mods folder (we have the same mods) and all it had in his was mods_go_here, and it all worked fine. I'm slowly getting the game to work now, but the new error log keeps failing to instantiate a lot of data, and not just mod data, also some vanilla data.

10. Nexus Of Chaos

tho they are treated similarly in either folder, it is highly suggested you put them in the mods folder. idk y, but it is.

as for the _metadata and mods_go_here in the mods folder, i don't hav either file for some reason, and i can't remember if _metadata should be there, but I'm sure mods_go_here is harmless

11. bigtallglassofnope

Finally fixed my game! Just had to pop a copy of _metadata in the mods folder and reinstall the game, as well as my mods, and everything works perfectly now! Thanks for your help!

12. Nexus Of Chaos

np glad to help