MOD-TUTORIAL 4: How to make your own Armor

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ghoul159, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Okay, I'm out of ideas, if you want you can upload your files and I'll fix them locally, it's a bit of a hassle (and limited, like now) to do the whole thing via forum.

2. Niner-7

Niner-7 Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is the whole mod

Attached Files:

3. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

The whole thing is outdated (and by the way, armors belong to /items/armor).
    But even if you would do that it would throw you an error saying that the effects are not in-game anymore.
    You should rather base the mod off the vanilla assets, here are some things you need for that:
    • Proper folder structure
      • items/armors/yourArmorMod/<Armor files>
      • recipes/<Your Recipes>
      • <YourModName>.modinfo
      • player.config.patch
    • Actual working armor (just browse the vanilla assets, copy an armor set over and rename the items).
    Adding custom effects is a tiny bit more advanced, you can go for that once you get the armor to show up.
    For now, as I said, just copy existing armor, alter it and get them to show up in the tables.

4. Niner-7

I didn't want to add custom effects. I literally just downloaded his mod and changed the textures

5. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Yeah, the mod itself is outdated tho.

You could also change them to spirited giraffe, but imo it's easier to use vanilla armor.
    Plus, that wasn't your main issue, that was kinda that your whole mod didn't load.
    To fix that, follow the folder structure I posted above.

6. Niner-7

Ok, I followed your instructions, now the mod is this(see file)
    but whenever it loads I get this error
    Schermopname (27).png

Attached Files:

7. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Oh, well, the bane of programming.

[
    {"op" : "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value" : { "item" : "stormchest" }},
    {"op" : "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value" : { "item" : "stormhead" }},
    {"op" : "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value" : { "item" : "stormlegs" }},
    ]

Should be:

[
    {"op" : "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value" : { "item" : "stormchest" }},
    {"op" : "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value" : { "item" : "stormhead" }},
    {"op" : "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value" : { "item" : "stormlegs" }}
    ]

Chazo likes this.
  8. Niner-7

:zzz: how come I didn't see that[DOUBLEPOST=1435585384][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Ok, now I can actually start up the game and select my character (YAY)
    buuuuuuut
    I still can't craft the armor

9. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Is the log complaining? :p
    Also, I think this'd be slowly better in a convo or in steam. xD

10. Dremorius

Dremorius Intergalactic Tourist

hi, can some one help with adding shields to craft list, i tired to try... Game does start, it's ok, but there is no new shield in craft list, i try everithing.... ps. Sorry for bed English

11. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

So I see the trend with missing log-attachments still continues.
    Go to "C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\starbound\giraffe_storage\" and upload the "starbound.log" file via the button "Upload a File" which can be found in the lower right corner of the quick-reply window.

It might also be displayed as a simple "starbound" textfile, keep in mind that I'm not asking for any history logs (.log1-.log4) but the most recent one.
    You can also check the "Date Modified" tab-option to get the right one.

12. Butterboy1987

Butterboy1987 Aquatic Astronaut

Great Tutorial! And instructions was clear!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  13. Amethystumn

Amethystumn Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello, how did you do that? How did you make the appearance for the armor?

14. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

By editing the image files of the armor. There are separate PNG files for the head, chest, arms, legs and back.

15. Amethystumn

Amethystumn Pangalactic Porcupine

Ah okay, thank you!

16. SariTheCat

SariTheCat Big Damn Hero

Hello guys,
    I'm not quite sure if i should make a whole new thread , so i'm just posting it here.
    I tried to create some armor from Viktor from LoL and by now i still cant craft or spawn it by command. The game starts though and my mod is shown in red in the bottom right corner. There are 3 recipes when i press C but only as "perfect generic item".
    I assume its ok if i attach my mod folder and my logfile . I play starbound on Linux, but that shouldnt make a difference i guess.
    I'm not quite sure what i'm supposed to do with the frames files... o///o i'm about to find out, but i dont have any plan until it got to see at least something lol .

I get

in my logfile every time i try to get my armor by typing /spawnitem [and the itemname] . I dont undertand that error to be honest. If someone could tell me what that error means it would make my day :)

Attached Files:

17. tttt94

tttt94 Space Hobo

how can i use stock armor,i want to have the same animation,and everything else as outrider armor, with adjusted recipe(and stats) and a bit changed color,i tried but all data appears to be in the .package file,any help would be appreciated :wut:

18. Mackinz

19. tttt94

tttt94 Space Hobo

i did it,but not everything was extracted,im missing a lot of short swords daggers etc..but i got the armor :D,well but it doesn't show up in-game,its like invisible armor or something like that,and the tutorial wasn't THAT outdated,most things i managed to do on my own,but it kinda sucks that you gotta be accurate with commas and such...crashed a few times but it worked.
    Thoug one thing,i added an axe to the mod,but it doesnt load in,any advice on that?

20. Mackinz

If you're not seeing all of the assets, you probably stopped the unpacker prematurely. Unpack you assets again and wait for it to finish.

If you don't have one, make sure to add a modinfo file. Every mod needs one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.