MOD-TUTORIAL 4: How to make your own Armor

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ghoul159, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M4X_L10N

M4X_L10N The Court

I did that but it's still not loading. It's loading the arms, but just not the chest = /
    I'll just start it over and try again its only like 5 images

In good news: My zealot armor's almost complete =)

2. John From BarSoom

John From BarSoom Space Hobo

I was thinking of a few extra things, like adding powerboost to the armor, (augmentaions)
    Do anyone have any example that I could use?

3. Ethenedd

Ethenedd Void-Bound Voyager

Tutorial on how to make a shield?

4. Ghoul159

Ghoul159 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yeah same problem different approach... ;)

maybe if i get some spare time...

5. Jase

Jase Void-Bound Voyager

I just get stuck at the loading screen. Any Ideas?

6. Horizons Reach

Horizons Reach Void-Bound Voyager

Custom sheild tutorial?

7. John From BarSoom

John From BarSoom Space Hobo

Does anyone here, knows how to add more status effect and augment to armor

8. SnakeAes

SnakeAes Poptop Tamer

Couldn't the "copy all the .frames files" step be skipped if you just created a folder in the assets\items\armors\other section?

For example, assets\items\armors\other\MyNewArmorMod? And putting all the necessary .chest and etc files in there?

Or am I misunderstanding? I haven't tried so I can't be sure, but I figure there has to be a cleaner way to do it than to create a new folder and just plant it in the Assets folder. Why not keep it organized by putting it in the armors folder where it belongs?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  9. Ghoul159

well you could but i think it would be better to have all your mods in one place....

10. Skelteon

Skelteon Tentacle Wrangler

11. kungfudude

kungfudude Void-Bound Voyager

I love your tutorials! Short and simple.

Ghoul159 likes this.
  12. jazxsora

jazxsora Aquatic Astronaut

Hi, I need a little help. I followed this tutorial to the letter, however, my armor will not show up in the game, no matter what I do. I've made sure I've gotten the recipes right, the .chest .head and .legs files properly lined up with the textures, I've added them to my player.config file, and I've made new saves, yet they still won't show up. Could you or someone help me out?

13. SnakeAes

SnakeAes Poptop Tamer

When you try to craft the armor, does it show up as Generic Item or is it not in your crafting options at all?

Make sure you are using the right crafting station for the recipe, and that the names in your player.config match the names in the .chest / .head / .legs files perfectly.

Also go through and make sure that every line ends with a comma except each last line in a statement.

Usually it will help to figure out what's wrong if you look in your Starbound folder at the starbound.log file. Search the file for the names of the items you have created and it will usually have entries like "failed to instantiate x item for y reason." Check the reason and see if you can figure it out that way.

My guess is commas though, personally.

14. jazxsora

jazxsora Aquatic Astronaut

It does not show up at all. I have made sure i have used the right crafting station for the recipe (spinningwheel). However, do the file names of the .chest .head and .legs files need to be the same as the item name?
    Edit: I did what you said, and this is what came up.

Have I set up the structure of my mod incorrectly? I don't know what I did wrong here.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  15. manonthemoonpie

manonthemoonpie Space Spelunker

Haha, finally I found a thread that is not to hard on my non-modding-savvy brain! I am trying to create a hooded cloak armor (loosely based on the clothing in Journey) It will come in a range of colors, if you could look at it so far and tell me if it's any good I would be eternally grateful! I don't understand how to make a paint doc into the one I can use to put in the files though; think you could help w/ that? Also, I tried a grimm reaper style one too so check it out:

Attached Files:

16. Ghoul159

tomorrow i'll try to upade my modding tutorials with the paths and everything maybe that will bring clarification... :)

looks really nice so far :)
    you could add some highlights like the golden lines on the clothing in journey ;)

basicly you just have to edit the chestm.png, chestf.png.... and in there you'll see different markers for all the animations...
    you can use free tools like paint.net or something for that...

the grimm reaper looks good too...
    but more highlights would be better it's a bit too plain ;)

PS:
    i would suggest to wait until i updated my tutorials tomorrow because this is still the "old" way of making mods...

17. manonthemoonpie

manonthemoonpie Space Spelunker

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it, getting overwhelmed with all these files and... I'm just happy I'm gettin the hang of this!

18. DarkOfTheMist

DarkOfTheMist Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, so for your next modding tutorial I was kinda hoping you could do something related to spawning dungeons and towns, I find it a little hard to find out what the color-maps (or whatever the proper term is for them) a little hard to understand and modify like other things in starbound. If you could do this it would be extremely helpful!

19. Karmos

Karmos Space Penguin Leader

If anyone is interested in making their armor dyeable, I wrote a post on using colorOptions to play with dye palettes a little while ago.

20. bantalother

bantalother Void-Bound Voyager

do you know how to turn block off on armor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.