MOD-TUTORIAL 4: How to make your own Armor

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ghoul159, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghoul159

Ghoul159 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[ MODERATOR EDIT ]
    This tutorial is only partially out of date when compared to Spirited Giraffe, The changes you must make in this tutorial are the status effects are done differently as well as you must use the patching system to add the files to player.config
    [ END EDIT ]

My previous tutorials:

Tutorial 1: How to make your own Tool
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/mod-tutorial-1-how-to-make-your-own-tool.40643/

Tutorial 2: How to create your own Crafting Table
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...-2-how-to-make-your-own-crafting-table.44992/

Tutorial 3: How to make your own Gun
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/mod-tutorial-3-how-to-make-your-own-gun.42937/

Tutorial 5: How to use "Ghouls Modmaker"
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...ow-to-use-ghouls-modmaker.60643/#post-1616672

Tutorial 4: How to make your own Armor

Setup your own mod folder with whatever mod name you like
    [​IMG]
    Inside of this "MyNewArmorMod" Folder we create the folder "recipes" and "MyNewArmor" to keep everything organized.

The fastest way as always is to copy the important files into your mod folder.
    The images we will create/repaint need ".frames" files which have to be in the same folder or one folder above in the folder structure.

We will copy them from: "\Starbound\assets\items\armors\"

[​IMG]

You can simple copy every ".frame" file (no folders) into our "MyNewArmorMod" folder from there you don't have to rename them this saves work later...

Now we copy from: "\Starbound\assets\items\armors\human\human-tier1"
    every file into our "\Starbound\assets\MyNewArmorMod\MyNewArmor\"

Furthermore we rename the ".chest" , ".head" and ".legs" into:
    MyNewArmor.chest
    MyNewArmor.head
    MyNewArmor.legs

You can change/repaint the amors as you please now the animation-positions are often text based displayed on the left in the image...

If you want to change the order or dimensions of images you have to edit the corresponding ".frames" file for example the chestf.png's dimensions and positions are set in our chestf.frames in the main "MyNewArmorMod" folder.

Now we edit the "MyNewArmor.chest" file:
    [​IMG]
    "itemName" : (our item name don't forget to add the piece name like "chest")"MyNewArmorchest",
    "inventoryIcon" : (the icon displayed in our icons.png by default the order is head,chest,feed)"icons.png:chest",
    "dropCollision" : (collisionbox of our item)[-4.0, -3.0, 4.0, 3.0],
    "maxStack" : (how high you can stack it)1,
    "rarity" : (self-explainatory)"Common",
    "description" : (self-explainatory)"The scavenger's breastplate is reliable without the frills.",
    "shortdescription" : (self-explainatory)"Scavenger's Breastplate",
    "inspectionKind" : (as in weapons i think a default text for the magnifier)"armor",

"maleFrames" : { (because we changed no image name we don't have to change here anything... :) )
    "body" : "chestm.png",
    "backSleeve" : "bsleeve.png",
    "frontSleeve" : "fsleeve.png"
    },

"femaleFrames" : { (because we changed no image name we don't have to change here anything... :) )
    "body" : "chestf.png",
    "backSleeve" : "bsleeve.png",
    "frontSleeve" : "fsleeve.png"
    },

"statusEffects" : [ (there are other statusEffects in other pre-made items you can look at)
    {
    "kind" : (how much cold protection you get for example at night if it gets colder...)"ColdProtection",
    "amount" : "2.5"
    },

{
    "kind" : (how much protection this armor provides)"Protection",
    "amount" : 7.5
    },

{
    "kind" : (the amount your health rises with this armor)"healthincrease",
    "amount" : 15
    }
    ],

"colorOptions" : [ (i think the color you'll get if you color your item..)
    /* GREY */
    { "ffca8a" : "b5b5b5", "e0975c" : "808080", "a85636" : "555555", "6f2919" : "303030" },

The other files "MyNewArmor.legs" and "MyNewArmor.head" are very similar like this...

Now we just have to setup the blueprints for every armorpiece in our "recipes" folder like this:
    [​IMG]

Add the item in your "player.config" in the main "assets" folder like this:
    [​IMG]

Let's test our new Armor (i just made it red and a bit green to make it quick and maybe i should have changed the name) :)
    [​IMG]

if you're just using my template don't forget to add the item in the "player.config" like in the tutorial...

PS:
    Sorry for the typos and if you have problems or if i made a mistake post it ;).
    I used notepad++ to view and edit the text files but you can of course edit them with any other text editor.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
  2. Bestpick

Bestpick Big Damn Hero

Thanks for the tutorial, many people can make OP armor for like creative mode now! :D

3. Bestpick

Bestpick Big Damn Hero

For your 6th tutorial, how about making a tutorial on how to make custom ores? And how they are generated?

Edit : The 5th tutorial isn't these. :l

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Skelteon, Morsus98 and C0M0 like this.
  4. Ghoul159

maybe or a melee weapon...

Tim the Slipperman and Morsus98 like this.
  5. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

Thanks for the guide. Trying to make a sort of back item that acts as a life extending system.
    This was definitely helpful for getting started.

6. inorite3

inorite3 Tentacle Wrangler

Cardboard box armor, here I come!

EDIT
    [​IMG]
    I'm not done with the recoloring just yet. After seeing it in action, I realize I should probably make it a lighter color.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  7. Grogpole

Grogpole Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Any chance of a tutorial on how to make a custom ship?

DJLaserz likes this.
  8. UltraSloth

UltraSloth Void-Bound Voyager

You should make a tutorial on how to make custom techs. D:
    Can't wait to see people who implement force powers, nice looking spells and jutsu techniques! :DD

Grogpole likes this.
  9. Ghoul159

i'll think about it and unfortionatly the next tutorial have to wait a few days... :(

10. kungfudude

kungfudude Void-Bound Voyager

Can u make a tutorial on how to make a new race? thanks alot

11. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

VIcariousViking likes this.
  12. Spacerogue

Spacerogue Void-Bound Voyager

I third this

VIcariousViking likes this.
  13. Grogpole

When I try putting my Custom armor in game, I get a huge white box around it that blocks the view, anyone know how to fix this?

14. Spacerogue

have you saved the PNG with transparency ?

15. Grogpole

How do I do that?, sorry im new to modding so im still grasping the basics :(

EDIT: oh hang on I think I worked it out, I was using Paint (stupid me) to make the pieces, which meant I couldnt see the Background being filed etc. Now Im using PS and it lets me delete the background! Yay! Thank you for the help, god I hope this works :)

EDIT: IT WORKS!!! YES!!! Thank you so much :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  16. Spacerogue

np, but that does depends on the program, in Phosohop you go to File /Save for Web ,select PNG-24 from the drop down menu and thick the Transparency option. (all that without having a layer that covers the whole piece of course ! Transparency is often 'marked' by a checkerboard background in programs )

Hope this helps c:

17. PixelJuice

PixelJuice Void-Bound Voyager

I get stuck in the Loading... screen when i put my "Mod" folder in the "assets" ordner. Any idea why?

Works now! Thank you nice guide :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  18. Spacerogue

probably the new update, I'm trying to figure out how to get mods working again but I'm a tad lost even with the dev's post about it.

19. Ghoul159

well it works for me so the tutorial is not broken with the update :)

20. Spacerogue

ooh ,awesome xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.