Tutorial MOD-TUTORIAL 3: How to make your own Gun (OUTDATED)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ghoul159, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghoul159

Ghoul159 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i'll look into it this evening...
    btw there could be errors because of the update i have to update the tutorial

2. T0xicBanana

T0xicBanana Void-Bound Voyager

Done. Still won't work

3. Chieron

Chieron Void-Bound Voyager

Whenever you have time. Thanks!

4. Matterialize

Matterialize Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Woop, I noticed something else that I didn't see the first time. You're also missing a quotation mark at the end of this line:
    Code:
    "fireSound" : [ { "file" : "/MyNewGunMod/sfx/MyNewGunSound.wav } ]
    should be
    Code:
    "fireSound" : [ { "file" : "/MyNewGunMod/sfx/MyNewGunSound.wav" } ]
    I'm reeeeeally sure I don't see any other formatting errors now, so if it still doesn't work after fixing this you've probably got an incorrect file path to one of the other assets like one of the images, or your projectile file could possibly have errors.

For what it's worth, the weapons I had added before the update still work fine, but their damage was way off. I'm not sure how CF made the item level affect damage, gotta fiddle with it.

edit: Well, I think they're actually working as intended. Sort of. The big numbers caught me off guard.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    Ghoul159 likes this.
  5. vhmercenario

vhmercenario Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey i finally discovered how to make/edit any thing in the game, and like, create a gun using others guns parts, then give it a name, and i will be able to play with it in multiplayer, i will make a crazy weapons mod and post it here, like under 1 week, i created a crazy blue gun (i draw in paint) and i shoot red explosive lasers in a crazy velocity, 1 hit of the laser to destroy a 5x5 area or kill someone instantly, off course it is made by impervium and diamonds :rofl: ( but if you edit you can make it be 0 coins) i'm making a lot of crazy things in the server, (like trapping people in their ships) now after the update my name is: vhmercenario
    If you want a fishaxe or anything just ask me , ghoul one question, i can only give my "special items" when i use a container , if i drop on the ground it become a green box with the name "perfectly generated item" and it don't turn back, so i need to craft again, why this happens, the others can see i using the weapon and can use it too, but if it fell in the ground, it is turned into that green thing

6. TheDoctor1133

TheDoctor1133 Lucky Number 13

ok.... i want a randomly generated gun to be craftable, i cant find a tut on how to do that.

i have my recipe

Code:
     {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "money", "count" : 1 }
      ],
      "output" : {
        "item" : "legendarymachinepistol",
        "count" : 1
      },
      "groups" : [ "plain", "objects", "all", "tools" ]
    }

and my .gun file is the one already built in im not creating my own gun...

and my player.config file has this line for the gun
    Code:
          { "item" : "legendarymachinepistol" }
    thers no comma cause its the last in the list.... now i KNOW this wont work... for random generation you have to put a definition parameter in there somewhere im just not sure what the format is.... if anyone knows the proper code for randomly generated items that would help out alot =) thanks

7. Ghoul159

yea the "level" parameter in ".gun" now counts more or less as a multiplier...

8. T0xicBanana

how do i change the energy per shot?

9. TheDoctor1133

it's the multiplier... change it to 0

10. Ghoul159

In your "PlasmaCutterMF.animation" you named the image you want to use "plasmacuttermuzzle.png" but it's called "PlasmaCutterMF.png"
    nice item image btw :)

i don't know if it's possible to do that...

it sounds like the icon image of that weapon is missing or just an error because of the changed parameters

11. vhmercenario

it appears normal until you trow it using the "Q"

12. T0xicBanana

im sorry? im a newb with this stuff. i dont understand, what do you mean.

13. TheDoctor1133

in your .gun file youll find the line with "multiplyer : [some number] change the number to 0 and itll get rid of energy cost.

14. Ghoul159

he meant this parameter "energyCostPerDamagePoint" : 15,

TheDoctor1133 likes this.
  15. TheDoctor1133

It was possible pre update... u had to put some weird code. friend of mine showed me how to do it cause i had no clue but he isnt answering me now... (i lost my player.config file when the update happened and didnt think to back it up.)
    it was something like
    Code:
    { "item" : "legendarymachinepistol", "definition : "generatedgun", "count : 1", "level : 10" }  
    but im assuming that wont work anymore considering they got rid of the level factor. idk.

16. Ghoul159

yeah i just tried almost exactly that code... but still no luck...

17. TheDoctor1133

I like the new damage system, but man it did hell on all my modding.. spent about an hour or 2 redoing everything. =) as for the generated guns, ill have to wait till some1 smarter than I figures it out. thanks for ur time tho. ill keep a close eye on this thread. if u ever figure it out feel free to post it since like i said i cant find tutorials on making craftable random weapons ANYWHERE.

18. vhmercenario

I made the chainsaw(in progress), the fishaxe, the mining laser, the paint gun,the buster, bubblegun(in progres), diamond drill and all the instruments be made by free in the anvil soon i will be posting the mod
    Edit: the mining laser sucks :http://prntscr.com/2a8hf5
    the buster: http://prntscr.com/2a8hpk
    Fishaxe:http://prntscr.com/2a8i24
    Diamond drill: http://prntscr.com/2a8ikh
    insta-sword: http://prntscr.com/2a8ivq
    NOW THE "SPECIAL ITEMS" THAT I'M MAKING ARE SECRET :rofl:, basically what you need to do to add and item to the anvil, create a file with this code:
    {
    "input" : [
    { "item" : "money", "count" : 0 }
    ],
    "output" : { "item" : "ITEM_ID_HERE", "count" : 1 },
    "groups" : [ "anvil" ]
    }
    AND SAVE THE FILE as "itemname.recipe" , take the file and place it in \Starbound\assets\recipes\starter\anvil
    now go to \Starbound\assets open the "player.config" and simply add in the tier 1 section
    { "item" : "ITEM_ID_HERE" }, below the [ (like that: http://prntscr.com/2a8l14 ) open your game, to an anvil and craft your item :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OH and look down in the "player.config" you will see the max health,energy,breathe,food... you can edit they up-to 9999

19. TheDoctor1133

chainsaw is pointless... just set the block damage of the fishaxe to 100 and then use SHIFT click to chop trees..

20. UnseenPrecision

UnseenPrecision All Chuck Norris backward gets you is Sirron Kcuhc

Thanks this is really helpful, and this is coming from someone who has almost no modding experience ( i have attempted modding minecraft before but i didn't really succeed)

The devs have really nailed it and made it really easy to mod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.