Modding Discussion Mod to disable infinite materials in admin mode

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SyntaxError73, Apr 16, 2018.

1. SyntaxError73

SyntaxError73 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello, I have come with a simple enough (I think) Idea to make admin mode less cheaty by disabling infinite materials when crafting. The only reason I use admin mode is because I really suck at combat... and All I really wanna do is explore and build.

Admin mode helps make sure I don't get killed by falling or hostile creatures. but what I don't like is that I don't run out of stuff when crafting, and I love gathering materials to make my base. I don't like toggling admin mode off just to craft new things. and I would like to run low on resources so that I have that extra challenge when building on my favorite planets.

If a mod that does this already exists, I could not find it on Google. If it does not exist, I would like for it to exist soon. Starbound gets boring because I have too much power in admin mode, and I have a fear of dying in the game.

Thanks for reading

~Syn

(yes I had to sign it for some reason)​

2. ToddAndChips

ToddAndChips Tentacle Wrangler

Hi Syn,

Relatively new modder here but I'm keen to practice so I'll make a quick patch file for you that should have the desired effects when placed in the mods folder. Assuming you're running Starbound through Steam, the mods folder is located in steamapps/common/Starbound.

I'll get to it now - the way it'll be done is, rather than adjusting how admin mode works, I'll simply look for a way to either reduce damage taken or increase health to a point where hostiles won't be too troublesome!

3. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

An old mod I've used called Essentia+ achieved this, but:
    1. it was armor
    2. with 720% attack per piece set, The Ruin dies in 5-10 hits with the broken protector's sword (ridiculously easy)
    3. with 120% attack per piece, The ruin dies in 50-100 hits with above weapon (still ridiculously easy)
    4. even a poptop can still kill you if you're in a big battle (tho extremely unlikely considering where poptops spawn)

4. ToddAndChips

Seems viable enough to use, Nexus!

However, Syn, if you'd rather not have to use armour, it's easy enough to mod the player.config file. I didn't get around to making it earlier as something came up.

Let me just write out a quick patch file for you - should only take five mins as it's all in player.config!

5. ToddAndChips

Ok, so I've made the patch file and tested it in a few scenarios, and this is how it seems to behave:

- Your max health and energy is much higher, and so is your health and energy regen
    - You won't take damage or be knocked back by enemies
    - You won't take fall damage from any height
    - You cannot drown
    - You can take lava damage, but it takes around 5-6 seconds to kill you (I think the lava at different depths might work differently, but I'm not sure)

The reason lava can kill you is because it's very easy to get stuck right at the bottom of the world where it is just a huge lava lake, so this prevents you from getting stuck there forever (probably an admin command to teleport out though, never checked.)

This is all quite adjustable by the way - it's entirely possible to change other stats, like allowing you to drown but more slowly, or allowing you to jump much higher. There might be a way to switch off damage from lava but I didn't really look into it. I also assume you can still take damage from poison, but I wasn't near any on the test world so I didn't get to check.

Just unzip this file and place toughmode.pak into the Starbound/mods folder (the one I mentioned in the first reply), and you should be good to go!

Let me know if you run into any problems, and if you want me to tweak/add/remove any of the features - should only take a few minutes :)

All the best, and happy exploring!

Todd

Attached Files:

6. SyntaxError73

SyntaxError73 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow thanks Todd! This will make the game so much more fun for me without having to worry about getting killed all the time. :3

I'm glad there's no falling damage and no drowning too. because I play as a Steven universe Gem race. X3

ToddAndChips likes this.