REQUEST Mod that adds infinite-durability versions of lures

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Nate McCloud, May 24, 2018.

1. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

I had an idea for very expensive versions of lures that, for example, take the original lure and a number of Iridium Bars to craft, and have the benefit of never breaking. However, I'm not even sure if that's possible.

I know some of you might say "Well, why not just have a mod that makes all lures indestructible?" My answer is "Because I want to feel like I really earned the indestructibility."

HopeWasHere and Digus like this.
    • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I liked this idea. I will give it a try.

Nate McCloud likes this.
      • Nate McCloud

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Just reporting that the prototype worked well.
          The trick was to use the regular bait and add an iridium quality to it. Then before the game consumes the bait, if it has iridium quality, it adds to the quantity before decreasing it, so it stays always the same.
          This trick works for all baits and bobbers and I can ensure their effect as for the game its the same item.
          I also manage to make a crafting recipe that creates the bait with iridium quality, taking any item I want.

But I don't know if crafting recipes is the better way to deliver these ultimate baits and bobbers. You will only need to make them once, and they will keep clogging the crafting page.
          Anyway, I will be thinking about it.

genman and Nate McCloud like this.
          • Nate McCloud

Maybe make them, like, a rare drop from fishing chests, then?

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

But I like you having to gather the ingredients get the bait.
              I'm thinking of a recipe that once you use it, it is removed from the player. Maybe Willy can have the recipe in the shop if someone lost the bait or something.
              But I can do a mix of things, there is 3 baits and 6 bobbers. Some can be just rewarding for doing something.

Nate McCloud likes this.
              • Nate McCloud

Now, you don't want the recipes cluttering up your crafting window because you'll only need to craft one ever...but doesn't the Wedding Ring recipe in multiplayer stay in your crafting window once crafted, even though you should only need one?

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, it is not a big problem. I can see if I can make they stay as the last ones.
                  But the difference is that the wedding ring is just one. If I do that to all the baits and bobber, it's 9 more.

• Nate McCloud

Hmm...might be a good point. Not sure what to suggest then.

• SuperElement

SuperElement Void-Bound Voyager

It exists, it's called FishingMod. It has a lot more features, but it's an old one that I think Pathos has updated in lieu of the original owner?

• Nate McCloud

Oh, neat! Is there a way to have only the infinite-durability bobbers available? I don't want to deviate my fishing experience too much from vanilla.

• SuperElement

SuperElement Void-Bound Voyager

Of course, I use it for infinite-durability tackle and because I've already played several files through I don't care much for the minigame anymore. But it's all configurable, and the features can be tweaked or disabled. Some start off disabled, the tackle change one of them.

Also if you need a link: https://github.com/Zoryn4163/SMAPI-Mods/tree/master/FishingMod

Nate McCloud likes this.
                          • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Added support on the MailFrameworkMod to also delivery Crafting Recipes, before it only worked for cooking recipes. Curiously, the game has some "incomplete" code to deliver crafting recipes, but I could not find any. The code is missing some validations, so I'm not even sure if it works.
                            My plans now are:
                            - To delivery crafting recipes through the mail when certain conditions are met. Fishing skill, friendship status, having crafted some other bait/tackle, have catch a certain number of fish, catch certain number of tressure chests(if the game counts it)...
                            - I think each bait will require at least one prismatic shard. They will be a bit overpowered so I think it's fine for them to require an item that require a little bit of luck and you have to choose where to use it first.
                            - To obtain the infinite version of the wild bait, it will require you to have crafted the infinite bait, otherwise there would not make much sense to ever craft the regular bait.
                            - Tackles will require a scaled amount of iridium bars, based on their usefulness.
                            - Maybe on future updates, depending on feedback, I can change things a little and create better quests to get the recipes.

This should not take many hours to do, but it will depend on how much free time I have in the following days. My priority is still to fix any problem that shows up in the Animal Husbandry Mod.

Nate McCloud and HopeWasHere like this.
                            • Nate McCloud

Thank you soooo much for taking this request!

On that note, it might actually be a good idea to have the crafting recipe stay in the crafting interface, after all, given the possibility that it can fall into water when dropped from the inventory, or tossed into the trash.
                              Only real problem I'd have with using that mod is that there's no earning the infinite-use baits and bobbers; it's just handed to you. I'd personally prefer the sense of accomplishment from knowing I really earned it.

Or...were you just showing me that to prove that it can be done?

Last edited: May 30, 2018
                              • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, I will let it there. They will show at the and of the crafting list, so it won't bother anyone.
                                Last night I remembered bait's are also used on Crab Pots. But I could not find where the game consume the bait. So, for now, the infinite bait won't be infinite if placed in the crab pots. I will say that in the letter you receive the recipe.

HopeWasHere and Nate McCloud like this.
                                • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Have done some great progress in the mod.
                                  Implemented a quest line for the tackles, but I'm still to write everything.

But when I went to test the tackles, it's not working.
                                  Spent most of today afternoon trying to find what the problem was but no success.
                                  It's like the tackle that my code handle and the debug shows is not the same tackle the game is actually using. It makes no sense at all. The logic work fine with bait, so no idea of what is going on.
                                  The bait use the Stack variable to consume bait, but tackle use the Scale.Y. Scale is a Vector2. CA probably did it like that to avoid creating a new variable.
                                  But no matter how I change the Scale, the debug always show the value I changed, but the game actually handle another hidden value.
                                  This might have to do with the new netcode stuff, but I don't know.
                                  I will keep trying...

Edit: I should have hit discord earlier. It seems they just changed the way the game saves tackle uses. It' working now. Back to writing the quests...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
                                    HopeWasHere likes this.
                                  • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Everything is written, I'm just testing the whole quest flow and revising all text.
                                    After that I just have to make some screen shots and write a description for the release.

HopeWasHere likes this.
                                    • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Nate McCloud and HopeWasHere like this.
                                    • Nate McCloud

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
                                      Digus likes this.