1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Mod Support

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by arcticwolf15, May 6, 2013.

1. arcticwolf15

arcticwolf15 Phantasmal Quasar

More like a question than a suggestion, but will Risk of Rain have modding support? (Custom items, levels, and gamemodes for example)

MisterS42 and Shrooblord like this.
    • DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, this sounds like a dream but I'd be happy to see steam workshop support in far future.

• Nixeras

Nixeras Subatomic Cosmonaut

This would be amazing if the devs were willing to take the time and do it. It would open up a lot more playability as the community has already thought up so many additional character ideas and will no doubt dream up exponentially increasing amounts as this game gains in popularity.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

While we're trailing in this thought of mods and add-ons, do you think that using Game Maker Scripts that you export as .gml files could be imported into the game as mod scripts? That way anyone with a working copy of Game Maker could write, debug and test their scripts before even importing them into Risk of Rain.

Pff haha here we are discussing modding technical terms and the Beta isn't even in our hands yet! ;)

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Well, we'd still need the source code, and I don't know how willing the developer is to release that, yet. I just really hope it isn't written in GM:S.

• Shrooblord

What? No, we'd probably just need a framework (supplied by them, of course) in which we can incorporate custom classes, items or graphics (texturepacks, if you will). That would mean a lot of work on their part, of course - and only if they feel like they want to do such a thing. The upside for them is that some custom content can really improve replayability, community growth, etc. etc..

• arcticwolf15

arcticwolf15 Phantasmal Quasar

This would've done great as the $25,000 stretch goal. :p

• hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

While this isn't really planned (something to potter around in after release and I want to see if I can do it), I recently re-wrote a lot of the spawning code so it's very streamlined/customizable. Maybe in the future I'll just have the spawn list read from an .ini so it can be easily edited for fun.

Burby likes this.
                  • Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

When I was thinking of mods, I was thinking of more ambitious things that would require rewriting parts of the game. Not just editing/adding classes, monsters, items, or spawn rates.

• Shrooblord

Well, yeah, those kind of mods would require hacking - but unless the game is made to fit mods in, isn't that usually the case? ;)