REQUEST Mod Request: Place Furniture Outside

Discussion in 'Mods' started by shykitten, Mar 7, 2016.

?

Are you interested in a mod like this?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2016.
  1. Yes

98.8%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't Care Either Way

1.2%
  1. Logantron

Logantron Poptop Tamer

From what I can tell so far, an area having the isFarm True variable allows the placement of furniture. It is than broken up into sections for indoor farm and outdoor farm. If the farm area is indoors (only the player home) regular furniture can be placed. If the farm is outdoors farming structures like sprinklers can be placed. This is based only on examination of XNB files though, so I may (probably) be wrong. I plan on looking at this soon... but with college I may not get to it. I hope it's something simple like a changing a variable in the Farm.xnb.

<isFarm>true</isFarm><isOutdoors>false</isOutdoors> = player home
    <isFarm>true</isFarm><isOutdoors>true</isOutdoors> = player farm

Rosalie and shykitten like this.
    • shykitten

shykitten Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I've not had time to do much of anything lately.

• navybofus

navybofus Void-Bound Voyager

I'm looking into the code now to see if there's a programmatic solution.

Edit: Found it, checking on ability to override the location check.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
          shykitten likes this.
        • Siphonophorae

Siphonophorae Void-Bound Voyager

Would definitely love to see this. It would be great if all furniture could be placed outside, but could an alternative be to just create new crafting recipes and just have the skins be for furniture? (granted the crafting menu may become a bit bigger)

It's kinda how I got my garden bench (see below), which is just three re-skinned braziers. My only issue is I have no idea how to create new crafting recipes

[​IMG]

taintedwheat likes this.
          • Jadzi

Jadzi Void-Bound Voyager

Anyone who actually gets this feature to work would be my absolute hero :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rosalie and taintedwheat like this.
            • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Ask @Igorious to make this into a crafting recipe, I think this will suffice for now to get benches outside w/o making a new tilesheet and editing the map to just have it permanently sit there. It can start off as a regular chair and you keep adding to it as though it is a fence and it could make it look like that.

Also can apply to make tables outside for a patio set. Let's do this. (four together would make a big one) otherwise they're side tables or rectangular coffee tables.) I want patio umbrella x.x;;;

in theory this would be the easiest way to get furniture outside and making it a challenge for people.

Siphonophorae likes this.
              • shykitten

This is what I think it all comes down to.

• shykitten

Any Luck yet?

• RoastedCoconutz

RoastedCoconutz Pangalactic Porcupine

Wait, I know vaguely how reskinning works, but how did you get it to look like a proper bench? I'm confused because I can't figure out how you made the bench have rounded edges and no legs in the middle. Wouldn't duplicating a reskinned object just repeat the new skin, like putting three chairs next to each other?

Edit: Or is it that you reskinned 3 different braziers, one with left side, one with right side, and one with the middle of the bench?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
                    • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

I am afraid that furniture is handled in a rather peculiar way that makes it pretty much impossible to add it anywhere but in a FarmHouse type map.

Maybe once we have a greater grasp of how the serializer actually works this might change, but atm furniture seems to be working due to magic beyond our understanding.

• Siphonophorae

Siphonophorae Void-Bound Voyager

I did edit 3 different braziers to have a left, middle, and right, so technically my bench can be as long as you want it to be lol

• Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

BlankSlater likes this.
                        • Ichimatsu

Ichimatsu Pangalactic Porcupine

So is this stuff still witchcraft? :rofl: I'm so pissed at the fact that I can't put a simple bench between two trees outside in my farm :(

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

The mechanics are now understood, but unfortunately are nowhere near as easy to execute as they might at first seem, I am looking into the principle, but doing it without FarmHand is turning out to be quite a challenge.

• Ichimatsu

I figured. :cry: I'll have to settle for a tree stump to make do as a, uh, stool, lol. Thanks for replying!

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

I have managed to get to the "Able to make things work, just not as nice" stage :p
                                Now I am trying to figure out how to remove the distance requirement on placing a furniture object :p

Ichimatsu likes this.
                                • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

• Jadzi

Jadzi Void-Bound Voyager

• Ichimatsu

• Ichimatsu

Okay so the rugs won't go above floors and will refuse to be placed horizontally, and benches are solid on one side only so you can be a ninja (as in the picture, lol), but overall, I'm flipping loving this <3

Attached Files:

• hh.png
                                      hh.png
                                      File size:
                                      194.6 KB
                                      Views: