MOD Request. Make game harder.

Discussion in 'Mods' started by fmydog, Apr 11, 2016.

1. fmydog

fmydog Void-Bound Voyager

Can we please mod the price of crops and what not, For instance if something sells for 100 gold can we make it sell for 25 gold? And make it scale so when you start a new game for instance you can choose easy 150 gold for example medium 100 gold and hard 25 or 50 gold.

Just overall an adjustment to the entire game were things sell for less gold. It is far to easy to make gold and i want more difficulty. Thank you.

• fmydog

This request sounds so simple but i fear from looking over current mods that people just want stuff handed to them, all i see is cheat mods and things making the game way easier. This game is already so freaking easy if your not a millionaire by end of first year your either a casual gamer or your not rushing the game currency. I just want a longer game experience and to actually feel some pain when selling crops and what not.

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

If you have patience, a balance mod is in my plans, if you take a look all my mods I attempt to improve gameplay without making them "cheaty"

I am planning later depending on how the API updates go, make mod to improve gameplay even more, but with balancing.

Also I want to make a anti-monoculture mod (ie: a mod where you are still allowed make those farms with 400+ tiles of *berry for the season, or 400+ tiles of ancient fruit after you get it, but doing so will be risky, the more you push it, the more you might get a penalty of some sort, making balanced farms better overall)

• fmydog

Your my hero! that sounds like a good plan and you should stick with it, sometimes i forget theres more than 1 way to balance things :p. Honestly though what i have been doing to make the game harder is every 5 items i (for instance 5 copper ore) i just throw 4 away so i keep only 1 of the 5. LOL thats my version of balanced. i know the game isnt going to be perfect for everyone but come on someone out there has to agree with me that gold is just way to easy in this game. first couple times into skull cavern i had enough ore to make all the best tools and 40 iridium sprinklers :p i have seen videos of people going into skull cavern and leaving with 200+ ore in single normal game day so i know its not just me. Some one out there put out a hard mode (nightmare mode) mode :p

• ShamanKem84

ShamanKem84 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This Game needs supply and demand. If you sell thousands of berrys the Market gets saturated and the sellprice drops.

kitsunespirit and bulbaswat like this.
            • OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

I did supply and demand mods for other games... it rarely works.

To make supply and demand work properly in a fun way, you need to introduce lots of actual economic simulation that make the game too complex for most people, specially because in SDV sense you will need to emulate some stuff that is needed in real life to cope with price variations: Future Bonds.

Thus why is better to do it in other ways.

irene21000 likes this.
              • endermaryn

endermaryn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm definitely one of those casual gamers. I am on Summer 15 Yr 2. I have 5000 gold, 1 coop, 3 silos, a well, the first house upgrade, no animals, no fruit trees, have not maxed out any friendships, am unmarried and still have not unlocked the Skull Cavern. I spend most of time fishing because the quality fertilizer recipe only produces one per fish (I think it should produce five like a refined quartz produces 5 crystal floor), talking with villagers and scoring the land for wild fruit and flowers. I plant all the crops, like wheat, not just the big cash crops, and I don't sell most of what I grow. Definitely not getting anywhere fast.

But I know a lot of other players don't have a farm like mine. My sister, for example, planted nothing but cranberries her first year and had enough money by the second year that she started going to bed by 2 in the afternoon and then got board with the game and stopped playing.

I have a few suggestions for making things more difficult:

Decrease the value of some of the multi harvest plants by 75% and/or increase the price of their seeds. Normal quality blueberries are sold for the same price as the seeds. So instead of selling for 80, they can sell for 20 and the seeds can be bought for 140.
                And if there is a way to decrease the spawn rate of ore and gems in the caves, then that would be a great way to solve the over abundance ore issue.
                And finally, the keg values can be decreased by 75% or so. Wine, for example, is sold for three times the value of the fruit used to make it. So a normal quality ancient fruit wine sells for 2250. Instead, keg wine could increase the value of the fruit by 25% so it would sell for 938 instead.

There are already modders on the More Crops mod that have figured out a way to add seeds to Pierre's inventory. Compared to that, decreasing and increasing prices should be relatively simple I'm thinking.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
                  taintedwheat likes this.
                • fmydog

You are speaking my language :p. I love the input! I really think it would be important for us to at least get some native difficulty support or if a really nice modder came out with some sort of balance mod. I tried thinking of it and it sounds simple but i got lost really fast lol. I just want something like you mentioned to overhaul priced on produce and ore / gem count. I think certain things like fishing are 100% perfect its dificult enough that you feel really rewarded for your catch. Gathering wood/logs seems about right also especially if your smelting alot its really easy to burn up the wood you gather. even with millions of gold on hours 40 and year 2 of the game i never had collected more than 2 full stacks of logs. Stone on the other hand is far to easy and i could gather and store entire chests of stone just from mining and running around. You already know my feelins on gold, All you do is on summer 1 plant as much corn as you can till ie: i did like 900 corns on my farm (i farmed the mats for quality sprinklers to make about 50 or so. it took me almost no upkeep after first 3 days of energy and time spent i had about 300 corn every day to harvest and sell, would make upwards of 20k-30k gold a day. this is all through summer at least 15 days becuase i used quality fert instead of speed gro so 15 days of harvest in summer and 28 days in fall. its like a million gold ez pz :p.

EDIT: Also i understand that some people dont rush and try to achieve everything so fast but for those that want to rush and be challenged it would be nice to simply increase price of seeds and decrease price of certain produce and wines as said earlier but again this is all based on YOUR preference so when you start the game you can choose easy medium hard nightmare :p. God just the sound of nightmare mode makes me excited. skull cavern might be hard. i tried going in there with level 10 iron sword 20 dmg ~
                  compared to galaxy sword 80~ dmg . it was a nice and fun handicap that made killing enimes take some thought and skill vs just clicking really fast with galaxy sword
                  , its stuff like that that also balanaces the game for me

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
                  • fmydog

I have now unpacked and successfully modified the games prices, monsters, crafting requirements and weapons and armor to create my own really difficult really balanced game.

For instant every fight able monster has double health and 20% more damage.

Prices of all crops cut into 1/3 original price so profit is no more than 10% gain on most crops with exceptions. Also all forage items got rebalanced to 1/4 price. Fish cut 50% value

Almost all crafting related items now require 2x or 3x as many components to produce like the basic chest needs 200 logs instead of 50.

With these changes I have played through to about month 3 and am happy to day I will be lucky to have 20k gold to my name LMAO.

It's nightmare mode and I love it.

If anyone wants my version of the xnb files I suppose with enough interest I will upload them otherwise pm me I am happy to share. Does not require smapi or storm it's just drag and drop files.

ekffie, Koschfer and endermaryn like this.
                    • endermaryn

O.O Wow, that is intense! I am not sure my slow moving farmer could survive in that reality.

As another suggestion, the crops in the greenhouse can have a limited lifespan. Sure, they can still last longer than a season (maybe), but likely for no more than three or so before dying and needing to be replanted. So no more endless (almost) corn/blueberries/cranberries etc. Having several days to wait for the new crops to regrow might make things a little harder.

• fmydog

yes it is very intense everything is much harder. so far i love my changes and it makes the game a blast. on hour 3 trying my hand at the mines. level 1 through 5 were not to bad but 5 through 10 had about 7 green slimes, i have lvl 1 sword doing like 1 or 4 dmg a hit lol they almost killed me before level 10. I brought about 10 food items, 5 leaks and 5 dandelions to eat for HP and stamania regen. barely made it to lvl 10 :p so happy its an actual challenge now. its alot harder to make gold and if you dont plan ahead on crops and your daly routine you can actually.

:p here is a screen shot of me coming out of the mins with my spoils :p got enough ore to almost make a furnace now becuase i upped it to 60 copper ore and 80 stone for a furnace :p[​IMG] backtrack instead of make any gains lol

• fmydog

Oh also i took all your suggestions

Decrease the value of some of the multi harvest plants by 75% and/or increase the price of their seeds. Normal quality blueberries are sold for the same price as the seeds. So instead of selling for 80, they can sell for 20 and the seeds can be bought for 140.
                          And if there is a way to decrease the spawn rate of ore and gems in the caves, then that would be a great way to solve the over abundance ore issue.
                          And finally, the keg values can be decreased by 75% or so. Wine, for example, is sold for three times the value of the fruit used to make it. So a normal quality ancient fruit wine sells for 2250. Instead, keg wine could increase the value of the fruit by 25% so it would sell for 938 instead.

And put them into place, they are working wonderfuilly all multi harvest plants sit around 70% original value for entire season. i modded the main plants so your barely making profit if the harvest isnt high quality, basicaly keep trying for high quality the more you plant the more chance to make gold. Also since everything costs more to make it balances out quit nicely regarding ore from mines and gems also sell for alot less. even if your getting 100 ore from a trip to mines instead of making 20 bars and using for 3 or 4 items those 20 bars now only make 1 or 2 items instead :p

• endermaryn

Raising the cost of resources in order to craft things was a really great idea. Sounds like that really helps with the excess ore issue in place of decreasing the spawning rate.

Super cool that you managed to do this. You might want to go ahead and make a post as a Released Mod in the Gameplay Mechanics section of the WIP/Released Mods subforum since you completed this request. That way others can download it if they like ;)

• fmydog

Thanks for the support :p. I have been working on tweaking this all weekend and i am definitely going to take up a WIP thread, Altho i am not sure who else wants to play on hardcore mode like me lol i am such an amature at this i have been doing so much research to figure out how to get it working exactly the way i want it.

• fmydog

Also somthing i can not figure out how to modify that has really been bothering me is the Preserves and Wine prices. They take the base item and increase it 3x on average. so corn for example in my version sells for 20g an ear and costs 100g for seeds so through both summer and fall you make about 120g or so profit for each 100g you spend on seeds if you get all 11 harvests out of it. BUT when you turn it in to pickled corn you make 60g an ear, thats 3 days of waiting to produce 300% the original profit. This bothers me a little and i would be fine with it being 3 days wait time for 150% profit so instead of 60 gold you make 30 gold or somthing like 2 ears of corn and 3 days wait for 60g profit eaither way your make 30g PER an ear instead of 60g.

So the only thing i can really do to re balance the wine and preserves is to make the start up cost sharper (first year farmers can ultimatly obtain maybe 2 or 3 kegs MAX for there entire first year becuase there expensive ((just like in real life LOL).
                                It kind of re balances the game and also there is a space issue to you can only have so many kegs and jars on your farm and have to balance between crop size and winery.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

I saw a lot of ideas but anyone pointed something that could improve the game + making it harder (or fair), that it's natural climate disasters, too much rain and your crops will flood, too many sunny days and you will lose some crops due the extreme heat, parasites may eat some of your crops in the fall, those things happens in real life.

We don't need any fancy visuals, just a message when you wake up warning about what happened, I will leave the disaster chances for the modder, since math isn't my thing lol.

• fmydog

Yes that idea is really good in regards to continually challenge. Maybe even something to your charectar broken bones or colds and sickness make you have 0 energy for X days or something like that. Then in multiplayer mode ask a friend or pay someone to tend to your farm.

• Yoru Hana

Yoru Hana Poptop Tamer

Maybe not 0 energy because some like me would not play multiplayer (no friends who play), but if you were you in the rain for x amount of hours total you have a chance of coming down with a cold and only have 25% or 10% energy the next day and food will not restore it? Or on days you've over worked and went to bed late the energy is only 25% instead of 50%?

• EpicAdventure

EpicAdventure Zero Gravity Genie

Please release this mod in Nexusmods, I'm sure a lot of people would like a more challenging game.
                                        That includes me.

• Omenchild

Omenchild Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So do we have a mod now that makes it harder?