Modding Discussion Mod idea: The Toymaker

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Nate McCloud, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

Inspired by throwable Trophy Stands from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, this idea is for a gun that launches figurine stands at enemies. These figurine stands only deal 1-2 damage per hit, but if the player manages to land a killing blow with it, the monster is much more likely to drop a figurine--as low as a 10% chance, or as high as 100%.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. Nate McCloud

I'm...sorry?
    EDIT: Realized I had typos in my original post, so I edited it.

3. Nate McCloud

Right. It consumes energy to shoot empty figurine stands.

4. Nate McCloud

That's...actually not a bad idea, if I can figure out how to code it. I'd already started working on a set of treasure pools for damage type "toymaker", though...

5. Nate McCloud

Right. I figured it out when I was looking through the raw files and discovered that unique monsters had a different treasure pool for "bow" damage. So, I created a third type of damage: "toymaker".

There's just one problem...since the monsters' treasure pools are listed as a single object with multiple key-value pairs, instead of separate objects with one pair in each, if I do manage to complete this mod, it will not be compatible with any mods that add new damage type-based treasure pools to unique monsters. So that's an issue.

Ah-hah, I think I see what you're saying...so like, have a Toy Maker gun that turns enemies into a new resource called Toy Pieces which are used to craft toys, and a separate, perhaps throwable weapon called Figurine Stand which turns low-HP enemies into figurines?

Hmm...well, I just looked at the coding for capture pods. Unfortunately, it would be a bit more complex than just copying the coding over and adjusting a few names. Capture pods assign the monster itself to the pod's variables. This item would need to instead pop out a figurine from the monster's treasure pool. The best I could think to do would be to make Figurine Stands an extremely rare and/or expensive item (perhaps costing, say, 100 Solarium Stars to craft?) that does a small/moderate amount of damage and has the figurines-only treasure pool.

Or...what if the Figurine Stand is a super-expensive Chakram upgrade that lowers its damage significantly, but makes enemies drop figurines? Although, that might make it too easy...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  6. Nate McCloud

I don't think Chakram consume energy...but what about giving it a high cooldown period?