Modding Help Mod help - Doesn't work

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SkyeTheTerribleBeastie, Oct 10, 2017.

1. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

SkyeTheTerribleBeastie Pangalactic Porcupine

Title says it all.
    According to comparative formatting, it should be good.
    Linter says there's some things wrong with it, but it's things that work in different mods, as well as the vanilla files.

... ... ...

Yes, that's the Iron Anvil. I'll get to spriting after I finish coding. Horse before the cart, and whatnot.

Attached Files:

2. GonDragon

GonDragon Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, there are various mistakes.

In .metadata
    • A missing " at the line 4. This is the thing that is instacrashing your game.

In skyebound_crafting_bench.object
    • A missing a " at the line 3.
    • A missing , at the line 12.
    • A missing , at the line 20.
    • You can't use the " at the line 21 inside a string. Replace those with '.
    • A missing , at the line 30.
    In skyebound_crafting_bench.recipe
    • An extra , at the line 5.
    In player.config.patch
    • Path directories should start with a /. Also, you misswrited "defaultBlueprints" as "dafaultBlueprints".

I will suggest you to do one thing (and, if is posible, in only one file) at the time, or you will have to fight against errors that you don't know where come from. After every minor adition, test the mod.

3. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

Thank you so much for the help, I kinda feel stupid for not seeing any of those...

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

5. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

I already use one, and say as much in the post. The problem with them is they don't say what's wrong with it in plain english.

6. lazarus78

Then you are using a shitty validator. The one I linked points out exactly where the issue is.

7. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

Ok, see, that's not helpful. My files (current version, the ones attached to this post, not the original)ARE valid, according to both linters (INCLUDING the one you posted).
    The only thing yours caught was a potentially unrequired ":", but otherwise it says the file is fine, yet my Starbound.log is saying something is wrong with it.
    Yes, your linter is obviously SO MUCH BETTER. >_>

Attached Files:

8. GonDragon

GonDragon Pangalactic Porcupine

This time is not a Syntax problem, so no linter can tell you about this problem.

"colonyTags" should be an Array, not a string. Change it for:
    Code:
    "colonyTags" : [ "crafting" ],

lazarus78 likes this.
  9. lazarus78

Then it isn't a syntax issue, as has been pointed out.

10. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

Omg thank you so much!
    And that makes sense, because it can contain multiple features, not just one...
    Once pointed out, I can figure out why, for the most part.
    Changed, testing...
    And, we're one step closer! It now actually loads the world, and allows me to craft it- but the names and icons are not showing up, and it crashes when I try to open the menu. I'd assume it should be able to open, since other crafting menus can be opened when there's nothing unlocked to craft... could it be because there's no recipes at all? I can quickly inject a flashlight or something, if that's it. And the lack of title could be because there isn't a space before it, like I saw in the one I was comparing to while error-searching.
    I mean, yeah, that's obvious now. But you didn't point it out, and made it sound like this magical Linter would solve all my problems, and maybe even make good coffee. Attempt at joke. Rating: 3/10

Also, should I just create a mod page and upload it (with warnings saying that it's not done yet!), and use the discussion panel for troubleshooting and such? I mean, after I get a few items in, instead of just a broken crafting... anvil. :rofl:

Attached Files: