Modding Discussion Mod Concept: Expanded Colonisation.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Wilsonionium, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Wilsonionium

Wilsonionium Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know what I'm doing. I spent half a day writing a mod concept for a game I don't even play anymore. Originallly I wanted to make a google document and then translate it into a proper post on the forum, but I can't be bothered.

In short, this is a concept for a mod about expanding colonisation, as I think this is the weakest part of the game with most potential.

Here's a link to the manual. It's fully illustrated with basic ideas on the concept. I'm open to any criticism, because this essay drained my soul.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jSGO2RYKm8kZXtVqSRFaBMXfKyO5Ow9F_fSH9Dv3meU/edit?usp=sharing

jakecool19 and Omicron445 like this.
  2. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

Wow believe it or not I'm sorting working on a mod similar to this.

3. Wilsonionium

I'm intrigued. Can you provide more information?

4. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well a couple months or so prior to the 1.4 update I came back to Starbound after a 2 year hiatus, after leaving shortly after the 1.0 update. Played a bit of it and was disappointed by the lack of progress, and how everything seemed so much blander compared to the betas. So I tried mods for the first time, which was fun, but there were things I wanted that no one really offered. An overhaul to the colony system, the part of the game I liked the most, and automation. So after learning the very basics of JSON and Lua I set out to make an overhaul of the colony system. I was aiming for it to be a Factorio like mod, and I was able to accomplish a lot things, such as a machine that can craft anything, theoretically from other mods as well, automated farming,lumber,and ranching,a basic logistics system, but most importantly I was to change things about colony deeds, requiring they be connected to a central colony console, ability to change colonists armor, weapons, and EPPs, giving them similar stats and needs to the player, the ability to to accurately calculate the space and furniture with in a tenants home. My vision was to have it so that the player would rebuild the Protectorate and would need to have specialized colonists in order to smelt,make armor, medicines, and other specialized supplies.The player would need to feed them, provide electricity, defend against hostile invaders, and do research for more blueprints. It would also overhaul the monsters and augments as well. I stopped though as the 1.4 update came, thinking it would break everything, and because I couldn't figure out a way to do complex automation with having the world constantly loaded(which you can't do). Biggest reason though was because I was beginning to spend way to much time, thought, and energy in it, so I took another hiatus. Now I have figured out a possible solution to the automation problem, but I'm seeing all the mistakes and the disorganization of what I was doing before the hiatus, I've decided to start from scratch and just use bits and pieces from the original. I doubt I will ever post this mod or even finish it, but I just like coding and testing aspect of it for fun pastime.

Wilsonionium likes this.
  5. Wilsonionium

I'm glad someone actually works towards solving the problem, not just complaining like I do. If you ever finish your project, I'm quite sure that every single church will recognise you as a saint, and I'll send you several boxes of canned pineapples or something.

6. ImHereForTheMods

ImHereForTheMods Cosmic Narwhal

You sure have a way with words.... Not sure what kind of way.... But a way.

Sounds like a great mod idea, I'd use it if it was a thing.
    Brilliant illustrations btw.

RainbowHannah and Wilsonionium like this.