Modding Help Mod a Tile to Grow Crops

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Raiyna, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Raiyna

Raiyna Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, I want to make a mod for growing Rice, and I'm going to be ambitious and make some new tiles/edit some tiles so that the dirt looks like it's submerged in water, but is still tillable and can grow crops. I know in tIDE there's an option for custom properties, but I'm not sure if that's where you add the tillable property? I'm very new to modding, but I am looking around at beginner tutorials and do-it-yourself stuff to do this on my own and keep the stress off the modding community (since I'm sure you guys have a lot on your plate already). Just some pointers and guidance, or if this is even possible to do, would be awesome!

• DungeonRyu

DungeonRyu Phantasmal Quasar

The problem won't be with tile property editing - this is easy, but with how exactly the game would generate this tile. I think it would be a lot easier to just make planted seed graphics look like it is submerged in water, so the crop sprite would also contain tile graphic.

To edit/add property settings
      Select the tilesheet your custom tile is in.
      Then:
      Tile sheet properties -> custom properties
      @TileIndex@Tilenumber@Type
      ex.
      @TileIndex@303@Type | Value - Dirt (this sets the type of the tile)
      @TileIndex@303@Diggable | Value - T (this makes the tile tillable)

Btw, there already is a nice rice mod, maybe you'll get some ideas from it.
      https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/welcome-to-the-rice-fields-mod.107969/

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
      • Raiyna

Raiyna Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awesome, thank you so much!! And yeah, I feel terrible because I started browsing the mods section here and saw Mizu had some lovely sprites up for the Rice, and it was used in the expanded crops mod. My dreams were a little dashed, but at least I can finally grow my own rice for maki rolls!!

I can use this info for other sprite edits tho, so thanks a ton. :D

• DungeonRyu

DungeonRyu Phantasmal Quasar

Yep, rice and vinegar, that came to my mind as soon as I understood that you can't make them yourself.