1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Mob Spawning Mechanics

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Fuzzybat23, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Fuzzybat23

Fuzzybat23 Void-Bound Voyager

Does anyone know anything about the monster spawning mechanics? I saw a video on the skyrail mob farm, but thanks to the new rail bench, that is completely broken. I've tried just putting out a long line of dirt and running back and forth, but nothing spawns.

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I've seen people say mobs will only not spawn in areas where there's both light and background tiles, and I've also seen people say they'll only not spawn in areas where there are player-placed background tiles, with no proof for either, so I'd like to know what the exact mechanics are as well.

3. Fuzzybat23

I saw one where someone said that mobs won't spawn in areas with player placed background tiles, too. Really, this is information that should be on Starbound's wiki page.

4. Fuzzybat23

Actually, it does say on the wiki page xD "Monsters will spawn where background blocks are placed, but appear to not spawn where background blocks and lights are placed. However, light alone does not prevent their spawning." Now, I tried this on a water planet. leveled an island down to sea level, then threw up some background blocks four high down the entire stretch. I ran back and forth dozens of times and nothing at all spawned.