1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Miner v Commando

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joey4track, May 5, 2013.

1. joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

This thread is a long time coming.

So, many people like to crap on the miner and say that the commando is better. I'm not going to disagree per se, but I do think that our mining friend is underrated. Once you grasp his playstyle I think he actually has more survivability than the commando. He can hit multiple targets with his basic attack and has a little more mobility, and in this game mobility is key.

That being said, I usually play with the commando because I think he is more fun :p

pitfall likes this.
    • gangwarily

gangwarily Astral Cartographer

I love both...but the room to fuck up is a lot greater with the Miner ;D

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

I played the Miner predominantly in the Alpha, but Commando predominantly in the Demo. I still have both versions installed and go back and forth between the two because I like the music and balancing of the Demo, but I like the wider variety of items in the Alpha. Between the two, I actually prefer the Miner more (there is something inherently badass about dual-wielding pickaxes and relying predominantly on explosive charges), but the Commando's face-meltingly fast base attack speed rebalance in the Demo makes him easier to use with the smaller collection of powerups.

Jenkins likes this.
        • Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

I enjoyed the Commando~ it made me move around and i felt some real dynamics working as for the miner i felt like i moved around even more and i had to think fast and act intelligently so there was a lot challenge going on; at the end of the day i had the more fun with the commando.

• ArrTeaSea

ArrTeaSea Big Damn Hero

i personally enjoy playing both but Commando is definitely my go to guy. I like some sort of distance c': Id say it takes a tad more skill to get really good with the Miner vs Commando.

• CommodoreFrank

CommodoreFrank Subatomic Cosmonaut

I find the Miner to be a lot more fun, but boy can he be hard to use when enemies start to cluster up. I'm looking forward to seeing what other high risk classes will be in the game.

• SuperMann

SuperMann Subatomic Cosmonaut

I thought the Commando was much easier/more fun to play, but I can definitely see the Miner's advantages.

• ZebraJ

ZebraJ Title Not Found

Miner all day, everyday. Nothing better than dual-wielding.

• navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In the Alpha, the commando was a bit less powerful (mostly due to the base attack shooting just once), and miner was my go-to character.

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In late game you just not suppose to stay close to any enemy and this is why commando is better. He has enough stuns and ability to avoid enemies going close. He not forced to go melee and this is a key to survive. I really tried to play miner as long as i could do it with commando but I just forced to run around and not fighting cause it way so painful to do melee.

• gangwarily

gangwarily Astral Cartographer

Miner relies more on specific items in my opinion.

• Salem_1337

Salem_1337 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Commando is easier to play, however I think that Miner has better survivability

• Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

I enjoy the miner more, simply because it's mobile, fight or flight playstyle, however I have to say that the Commando is much easier due solely to his range alone.

• petelectro

petelectro Subatomic Cosmonaut

miner with missiles is a lot of fun. you just really need to find barbed wire and leeching to move past level 3.

• Myth

Myth Space Penguin Leader

The range is far too valuable. Miner is fun, but commando is superior, due to it's ranged capabilities.

• starwoof

starwoof Space Hobo

In what universe does the commando even hold a candle to the miner? Late game the miner has enough cooldown items to be literally invulnerable as he chains dashes.

• Double S

Double S Pangalactic Porcupine

From playing the demo, I can say that I like the Miner better. Up-close and personal is more my style anyway. The backward charge saved me more than a couple times.

• Draken09

Draken09 Black Hole Surfer

I'm new to this, and I must say that the commando's range gives it a distinct advantage over the miner, as in the only time I have beaten a boss was the giant golem when I could attack it from across a small ledge and it had no way of retaliating. Still, I think I enjoy the miner more, since everything is much more action-packed and I enjoy dancing circles around my foes.

• Lmaoboat

Lmaoboat Void-Bound Voyager

Just get enough jet packs as commando, and you can survive indefinitely.

Beardtastic likes this.
                                        • sackboy97

sackboy97 Aquatic Astronaut

I can't play with the miner because i have to stay too close to enemies and for his "roll" backwards.