Min/max challenges

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by squigglyruth, Dec 23, 2018.

1. One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

I've grown far more forage seeds than I am prepared to actually admit to in public, and it's definitely five days with Agriculturist and DSG.

Good luck. Looking even closer again, there's so much other opportunity here I almost want to try it for myself

• squigglyruth

squigglyruth Pangalactic Porcupine

Looking like a good start - by the end of day 4 I had a broken trident ready for the mine, and had also fished up a treasure chest with a last-minute cast next to Leah's house on the Thursday night. The question is how to prioritise from that point on...

One More Day likes this.
      • One More Day

Unfortunately, everything is a priority :D

Mining all day is usually a good day 5 option, especially if it is a good luck day, but you're really handicapped by needing to lose two hours to go to the cart for that rabbit foot, and that means you can't get to the mines until about 9am, which sucks. And it'll be much later if you have no cash in hand and need to sell to Pierre or Willy first, before visiting the cart, probably too late to bother.

If you don't have cash in hand, or if day 5 is a really bad luck day, then the mines are going to be hard work, so consider using the day, and the parsnips, to chop wood and break rocks to get going on that coop, because that unexpected 5k bonus for the chest means you should be able to afford it already. There is only a limited time to build both coop and barn anyway, to get the animals you need in time, so it needs to be started soon.

Do you already have a schedule of what you must buy and when you must buy it, and therefore the money you're going to need by when? This should inform most decisions on what activity to pursue, and if you don't already have one then I'd get going on one asap.

Screw it, hope you don't mind, but I am going to have a go at this myself. Going to keep brief daily notes and put it on upload farm too

squigglyruth likes this.
        • squigglyruth

I don't mind at all! I am also keeping brief notes for each day and recording on upload farm. It might be interesting to compare!
          I think there's probably more than one way to do it with this ID. I've taken a copy of my file at the start of Day 5 since I'm interested in trying out and comparing different options from this point onwards. The main question in my mind is whether to spend all my money on potatoes for Saturday, which will get me to farming 6 by the egg festival with probably enough money to buy the strawberries to get farming 10. But will involve a lot of time watering when I want to be mining right now, making progress towards those mushrooms...

• One More Day

I haven't actually started this yet, but I've spent the last hour and a bit routing it all, and I think I've got everything sorted. Going to start it soon

And I've decided to ignore strawberries, because I am worried they might take up too much of my mining time. I'm not even planning to hit Farming 10 at all, just Farming 9 near the end, for the seed maker.

The only real risk is the duck feather, but I'm aiming to build a big safety net with continually adding as many ducks as I can, as soon as I can afford them, to maximise my chances. The other animal products all come with a 100% RNG-proof guarantee

EDIT: Oh, and obviously the 60 donations for the museum, to be able to get the tiger trout from Krobus, but again there are things that can be done to get more geodes/artifacts. I have unlocked it by the end of Spring before, and without the help of the geode predictor, so it's not totally uncharted territory for me.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
            • squigglyruth

Fair enough! I think if you want to get the money to unlock the bus and buy the Deluxe Speed Grow on Spring 18, ignoring strawberries makes sense, from both a time and a money perspective. However, I'm going to be crafting my Deluxe Speed Gro, and using my early mushroom money to buy infrastructure.

Yes, the cart is nice for this one.
              I've found that, with an early coop and daily petting, duck feathers drop pretty often in summer, so I don't think it's too much of a risk.

BentFX and One More Day like this.
              • One More Day

I'm planning on using far more DSG than I can possibly craft, around 300, so I have to go for buying it.
                For me, fishing and gems are funding the basic coop and barn, because I want to get them up and running before I can get any mushrooms. Then my mushrooms will fund the bus, DSG, and everything else beyond that, including stuff from the cart etc.
                I've crunched the numbers on my basic plan, which starts with four ducks, and I reckon that, with neutral luck, I'm quite a bit better than 95% likely to get that duck feather. Hopefully I can add more ducks as I go along, to improve my chances even more.

I had to mulligan day 8 after a catastrophic blunder, the rest are all one shot, as it comes. I've just finished day 11
                • I have reached floor 80
                • I have a copper pickaxe and axe
                • my coop is under construction
                • I have 14k in sellable items
                • I have already found 13 artifacts, and so far I have over 40 geodes waiting to crack open
                • Mushrooms tomorrow!!!!

squigglyruth and BentFX like this.
                • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Again, I'm just kinda doing my own thing. It's not really min/max, but it's going to be an early CC finish so I'll dump it here. Spring 28, I've got my silo, coop, iron axe, and 43 quality sprinklers. I'll have 50 by morning. The travelling cart had cabbage seed, nautilus shell, pumpkin, duck feather, duck egg, and a truffle and I got the yam drop from a duggy. I'm on pace for finishing the community center in the first week of fall, as long as I can get a rabbit's foot (and don't forget to plant an apple tree tomorrow.)

ID = 214143860

AnotherSpring.jpg

One More Day and squigglyruth like this.
                  • squigglyruth

That's a lot of DSG! I think I'll probably only want around 80-100 for summer day 1, and half of that can be normal SG if I end up short of coral. I will probably buy the DSG for the forage goods.

I think I'm playing a somewhat riskier strategy, pouring my money into crops early on to get that farming 10. Coop and big coop should be funded by mushrooms early in week 3; I think that still gives good odds on the duck feather. Barn can be left until after that as there is no need for high quality barn goods - large milk and large goat's milk are both on the cart. The mushrooms should fund everything after my strawberry seeds.

I was near the end of spring when I realised that I'd somehow missed buying the eggplant back on day 12. Luckily, I'd kept a save file of day 5, so I went back to that. Just hit day 11, which is looking quite different to yours:
                    • Mine level 40
                    • 14 artifacts but only low double digits of geodes so far (this needs to increase)
                    • no tool upgrades yet (on the previous play through I had copper pickaxe, but this time invested my copper into tappers)
                    • only 3500gp in hand
                    • 198 potatoes and 70 parsnips ready to harvest tomorrow, which will take me solidly into farming level 6
                    • ingredients for 25 speed gro in addition to the 20 from the spring crops bundle (sadly, clams have been quite rare)
                    I'm not going to forget the eggplant tomorrow!

One More Day likes this.
                    • One More Day

This is the second time recently that you've posted similar images of your 9x9 Spring layout, and I really like the elegance and simplicity of your getting farming 7 without having to push it hard. You've posted it on both the forest and standard farm now, but how do you fit it on the hilltop farm though, if indeed you try? I'm doing this "loaded cart" attempt on the hilltop farm, basically because I thought the quarry might help with geodes and early copper, and entering the mines with Mining 1 already under my belt. It's the first time I've really tried it for crops, only did it as a themed mining farm before, eventually covered in crystalariums. I mainly do standard, forest or occasionally river, and I'm realising that there aren't many large spaces to plant at all, it's even more awkward than the river farm.

GL on the early fall finish, and remember to plant that apple tree tomorrow!

I'm not getting the actual ducks just yet, but my build schedule is geared around navigating my way through all the days that, between them, Marnie and Robin don't work, to then be able to buy the animals when I want them. That meant starting the coop on day 11, before I got to the mushrooms. For instance, Robin won't work day 13, so the coop takes four days instead of three, and then I have to build the barn straightaway on day 15, because I can't order it on day 16 (a Tuesday), and so on. It's mad how quickly time disappears when you're trying to do everything inside seven weeks

Yeah, quite different. You have quite a lot more money than me, allowing for those spuds, which are now basically as good as having > 20k in cash, but really I like my mines position. I'm now through to the start of day 15, I already have the minecarts fixed, and on day 14, floor 89 is the perfect mushroom floor, netting me about 26k in mushrooms, and jumping me straight from Foraging 3 to 5 for double dips from day 15 onwards, including any salmonberries I walk past for the next four days.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
                        squigglyruth and BentFX like this.
                      • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I don't want to talk about it. :D
                        I remembered the apple tree, then two days later forgot the pomegranate. I did have a rabbit by Summer 10 which is my earliest, by far, but I only bought one. Lesson learned. I did plant 175 blueberries, then 300+ cranberries, which is an order of magnitude more than I've done before, but I think that boils down to not building up my barn. I realized that if you get the truffle early, all you need is a cow. The thing that really surprised me, in a bad way, is I killed 153 frost jellies and only got 2 winter roots.

As for the hilltop farm, I hate it. It knocks me off my game. My whole thing about the 9x9 and speed-gro strawberries, is tweaking for efficiency. I don't do well trying to make major adaptations. I'm a bit ADD and my head swims listening to you two talk about your strategies. I did just go in and push things around a bit. The 9x9 will fit and leave some extra space for strawberries, under a single scarecrow, but before getting a copper axe the stumps ruin any kind of decent space...
                        HilltopTemplate.jpg

It's almost like it was planned that way. :D

EDIT: I did take a second bite at the apple. Got the CC on fall 10. It's nothing compared to what you folks are doing, but it's my new PB. It all came down to waiting for rain to get the walleye.

Also, I played out Spring on the hilltop farm. Ended up with 100K total earnings and 53 sprinklers.
                        Spring 28...
                        Spring28_Hilltop.jpg
                        Summer 3...
                        Summer3_Hilltop.jpg
                        Upload dot farm

@One More Day, do you get notice of edits when you're mentioned?

Last edited: May 4, 2019
                          One More Day likes this.
                        • One More Day

You ran ridiculously bad. It's an 8% drop (according to the wiki) so you should have had about a dozen.

Like you, I didn't want to be stuck for winter seeds when the greenhouse opened, and on day 18 on my run there wasn't a realistic mushroom farming option, but there was a monster infestation on floor 53, which is the big circular one with a big sand pit. It's basically perfect for the purpose of farming monsters, so after a ridiculously busy daytime going to the desert and Oasis, then visiting most of the other vendors, I spent the evening of day 18 just slaughtering blue slimes with my shiny new galaxy sword. It's so easy hahahahahaha. I had 5 roots drop from about 80 kills, which is a shade below the expected result, but still useful. While doing so, I also got my Ghostfish from a ghost and plenty of coal from dust sprites, so it was definitely a successful day for me. Other blue slime kills mean I've now got that up to a much more comfortable 11 roots.

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

I am nearly finished day 27, and all those mushrooms mean I've just hit Foraging 10. I think I beat @squigglyruth by a few hours :D

2019-04-14 (1).png

This is very comfortably a PB for me, because I never actually managed to get around to doing Foraging 10 as its own challenge run. Obviously it can be done much faster, because I've spent a fair bit of time doing other stuff, but still happy....

As for this run, I managed to get six ducks on day 20, and I got my duck feather this morning, at the second time of asking. My deluxe barn will be ready tomorrow, when I will buy all the barn animals, including getting that all important piggy in time to be absolutely certain of it having a guaranteed sunny day (Luau) to find a truffle.

Now I just have to finish finding the 20k worth of mushrooms I need by tonight to cover the huge spending spree over the next two days; animals and paraphernalia, sacrificial parsnips and then summer crops. Coffee alone is costing me 3k per day, and I'm running low again! Much of tomorrow will be taken up by buying stuff and then farming, so I don't want to rely on having time to find it then, but if I fall short I suppose I can at least sell my ducks in the morning, albeit it at a loss. It would have been much easier if I'd managed to snag Foraging 10 yesterday, as per the plan, because all my mushrooms today would have been very valuable iridium quality and I would have got the money much more easily.

There's also a lot of work to get all the summer crops planted with DSG and watered that first day, because I won't have sprinklers, but I'll be using sacrificial parsnips to help with the hoeing. So, there are still a couple of hurdles to clear, but I reckon I'm in good shape and definitely feel like I'm on the home straight for Summer 17.

squigglyruth likes this.
                          • squigglyruth

Mushrooms are definitely the way to go for this!

I'm fascinated by how different our strategies are over just one season. Your farming level seems so low at this point... I realise that's completely fixable in time to brew the wine, it just seems odd when I'm working so hard to get farming 10 by the end of spring!

As I predicted in my last update, that run was a bit short of geodes. Annoying, given I did plenty of mining before the end of spring.
                            Trying again, I have just managed to get to day 13 (egg festival) with:
                            Mine level 85
                            Farming level 6
                            Ingredients for 6 speed gro
                            Money for 235 strawberries as well as the Sunday cart goods

I think this might be the one (fingers crossed!)

One More Day likes this.
                            • Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm kinda tempted to try this, even though I haven't ever done any serious min-maxing so idk how well it'll work out.

Silly question: how do I load a save with a particular ID number? (Also, what do the numbers mean beside the items below?)

squigglyruth likes this.
                              • One More Day

Definitely. To fund all the animals and buildings, you need more money than you can make any other way that I can see - fishing won't do it. Although investing in crops will clearly earn more money in the long run, it just ties up money for far too long in the short term, and cash flow is way more important than profits in this sprint. But, if you can manage to get everything else while getting Farming 10, you have the chance of saving an extra day over me.

Our strategies are different because we've set ourselves different targets - you're aiming at Summer 16, I'm only going for Summer 17, and that day makes an absolutely huge difference to the best line to take. There were several occasions where cash was tight compared to my plan, but my background is in engineering, so the safety factors built into it were fairly huge; for instance, I got enough ducks, early enough, that I gave myself >99.99% chance of the duck feather. Getting everything planted and watered on Summer 1 was really tight, I only just did it with less than an hour to spare, and I wouldn't have had enough time if I hadn't spent 6,500g on sacrificial parsnip seeds on day 28, to save hoeing. But again, I've massively over-engineered on summer crops anyway, with surplus to guard against both lightning strikes, and the meteor event predicted for Summer 1, so I don't actually need most of them. Now I am basically cruising in to the finish line, I literally can't fail from here. I'm awash with cash I'm not going to need, thanks to continued mushroom farming in summer. So, not only do I now have the 10k backpack upgrade, but I even bought the stardrop from Krobus for 20k, when I got the tiger trout. I also found some lucky lunch at the saloon, so I'm probably going to splash out on a stack of explosive ammo too, and sneak in a deep skull cavern dive before I get my greenhouse, so I can craft myself an iridium band, because, why not?

When I'm done with Summer 17 though, I'm almost certainly going to re-route this and try for Farming 10 in spring to see if I can get Summer 16.

I don't actually need to craft a keg to brew that wine, I'll get one from completing the Artisan bundle when I get cheese and goat cheese, before I get to Farming 8. Even the cheese press won't be crafted, but will come from the Animal bundle when I turn in the wool from the sheep. The other artisan and animal items are already sorted - apart from the duck egg, which was a gimme from my ducks, all the animal stuff came from the cart, while the artisan items were cloth from recycling, honey bought from Oasis, apple from the cart and jelly from a preserves jar (Farming 4). However, I did still want to shoot for Farming 9, to learn the craft for the seed maker, even though I probably don't need it, just in case of any unexpected little hiccups delay me getting one from the dye bundle. Honestly though, probably didn't actually need to go past Farming 7 to do this.

I hope you have other big plans for Farming XP then, because this is nowhere near enough to get to Farming 10. Another one of those numbers I just know from playing this game too much is that you need to buy 325 strawberry seeds to make the jump from Farming 6 to 10. But you barely have enough to get from 8 to 10. You're over 3,000 xp short at the moment, and a handful of speed gro isn't going to make much of a difference, in fact you'd need to speed gro over 75% of what you bought.

squigglyruth likes this.
                                • squigglyruth

Glad you're going to try it!
                                  I used a mod called setuniquegameid. I think you can also do it by file editing, but I don't trust myself to do that right.
                                  The first number is the day the cart will have the item, e.g. day 14 is Sunday week 2. The second number is the number of items the cart will stock.

Good luck!

• squigglyruth

True! This felt tight for time to me, but of course it isn't since the cheese is very reliable. If you've got the cloth from recycling then it makes sense. I've only got a few soggy newspaper so far, even with crab pots, and I'm not sure I want to take time out of mushroom farming to fish more. So I might end up making my cloth from wool closer to the deadline, and completing the artisan bundle after starting off the wine. Though CC runs always end up with lots of spare time near the end, so I might go with the fishing and recycling after all.

It doesn't need big other plans. If I plant 115 parsnips on day 20 and replant them on day 24, that will get me there with a safety margin. Or I could do it by planting 110 kale by day 22, but that would be a lot more expensive so I'm going with the parsnips. (I could probably get 40 or 50 of those plants from mixed seeds at this point, but I'm saving those for summer so as not to waste the cauliflowers.)

I'm on 3855 farming XP at the start of day 20. My speed-gro strawberries get me another 900 today (not insignificant). My strawberry crop will then net me another 8460, taking me to 13215. I'll also get some from green beans but I'm counting that as an extra safety margin.

The reason the difference in strawberries (325 - 235) sounds significant is because they are actually a pretty inefficient way of making farming xp, if you calculate by price rather than space and time. So it sounds like there will be a huge cost to make up the difference in XP - the cost of 90 strawberries is 9000. But actually, parsnips are really efficient in price and time, so it's nowhere near as much as it sounds - the initial 115 parsnips will cost me just 2300, and will more than pay for the replant.

One More Day likes this.
                                    • Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh right - I figured it couldn't be that because the number for truffle and wool was later than summer 10, but I guess you just included that for completeness?

• squigglyruth

I was just giving the numbers returned by the search, and included the wool for completeness. Sorry to be confusing!
                                        The truffle doesn't have a number at all, and nor do the cloth or duck feather - these will have to be produced by the farmer.
                                        The strategy works by getting the greenhouse on Summer 10, then growing winter and fall seeds in it, so items outside the pantry can be bought up to day 42. Not relevant for this particular save, but worth knowing if anyone runs the script themselves.

• One More Day

Actually I can fail, because I'm an idiot and I made a basic routing error. Went to the desert on Summer 11 to get DSG to plant my forage seeds next day and of course I forgot Sandy is closed that day for the festival. And in the first year you can only buy regular speed gro from Pierre. And while the beach is full of coral, I don't have the oak resin to craft DSG. I needed to buy it from Sandy last week, on Summer 4.

As of right now, end of Summer 11, the only things I have left are
                                          • the wheat for the fodder bundle, and I have 32 of them that finish growing tomorrow,
                                          • the two cooked items for the chef bundle, but I already have all the ingredients, and easily enough cash to buy the house upgrade
                                          • the sea urchin for the dye bundle, but that can be got from the beach over the next three days (summer 12-14) of shell bonanza
                                          • Fall forage, I have dozens of mushrooms to crush for seeds, and all the ingredients for seed makers. And of course, the greenhouse
                                          • Winter forage, I have 15 winter roots to crush for seeds

I'll consider that I could have got Summer 17 but for my stupid error, as I had more than enough stuff to sell to be able to afford DSG on summer 4, and plenty of time in the day to go and get it. I might have to settle for Summer 18 then, because although I have daily saves for every single day, and could go back, I'm not sure I can be bothered to repeat a whole week just to do it.

Instead I'll just settle for Summer 18 and plan my route to repeat this with Farming 10 and Agriculturist, and aiming for Summer 16.