Modding Help MESSAGE TO ALL MODDERS: mod proposal, mine bots

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by this_is_VALHALLA, Jun 3, 2015.

?

would you like to see this mod?

1. yes

90.2%
  2. no

9.8%
  1. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

You are contradicting yourself young one. :D

Either way, it can easily be made some basic concept of function, even the "disappear" thing until proper script
    can be developed.

2. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

What I quoted: "or they don't physically mine, just leave for awhile use fuel and bring back ore" :p

And that's indeed not hard.
    Just send him somewhere without any function, randomize the time he's gone and add ore / consume fuel based on the time he was gone.
    Compared to the other options, yeah, that's not hard at all.
    Dun see the contradiction here. :p

3. Inf_Wolf14

:p I just think it would be fun for some random person on your world to fall into the "death pits" and notice some strange beeping object in the dark. Slowly chipping away at the planet, stealing all them ores.

Conspiracy? No just my army of robot mining drones! :rofl:

OmegaMinion likes this.
  4. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Lol, yeah, on the other hand tho it's usually me that falls into random pits.
    So...

If he does that we definetly need glitch-illumanti storylines to keep up with the conspiracy feeling. x:

5. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

But they wouldn't be able to continue work on one planet while your on another, am I right?

6. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Yesno.
    That's where the fake-timer comes in.
    Imagine it like this:

You leave at 03:00:00, this value is stored.
    You return at 06:00:00, this value is passed.
    It takes the time you were away (3:00:00) and calculates how much ore it will spawn into it's inventory and how much fuel it will consume.
    (This sounds a lot easier then it actually is, it's just to show how it "would" work).

this_is_VALHALLA likes this.
  7. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

My mind has been blown.... That's genius!

8. Morjax

Morjax Void-Bound Voyager

Wouldn't you get the same essential result by having a station you create that has the illusion of teleporting bots out but simply generates the selected ore at a slow rate? I understand that it would be fun to see them buzzing about a planet, but do you really want the planet to be a pock-marked, pizza-faced husk?

Also, regarding game breakingness, you can still easily get to ridiculous levels through making a huge farm unless you put a limit to how many you could have (does such a limit exist for anything in starbound yet?).

Nifty idea, but the presented execution in OP sounds like a modding mount everest...

The | Suit likes this.
  9. Inf_Wolf14

Well, a machine that simply generates resources seems a little OP... My idea was to create a station where you would obviously craft components for, and the bots themselves.

But, not with ability to simply mine. I was envisioning the necessity to upgrade these drones in order to operate in different planet conditions.
    (I.e: Mining Drone #1 requires a Heat Resistance Upgrade in order to function in extreme heat.)

Or upgrades to increase mining efficiency , and/or enable collection of higher quality ores.
    (Drone #1 needs Collection Tool Upgrade to collect Uranium Ore.

This way, players CAN opt towards automated mining; However, the result would be far less lucrative than hand mining. In exchange for convenience, you accept possible loss in product.

haynesy566 and Kayuko like this.
  10. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

I would suggest the upgrade station be a mining dock or a garage or something, rather than just benches after benches....

Benches....

Benches...

BENCHES....

this_is_VALHALLA and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  11. Inf_Wolf14

Best Answer
    The idea I have in plan is to have the central operation console which you can use to activate your drones.
    And another "bench" :) , to apply upgrades to the drones like crafting would happen, and combine the components for them.
    Of course my plan of upgrading would require maybe some item you insert to the console which tells what type of drones to spawn...

Or a placable object which would be replaced by an entity once the console is on. (The latter came from some brainstorming earlier, but will be NEIGH IMPOSSIBLE! mostly cause im lazy...)

Edit:
    Cause I suppose this became my new project, what kind of models do you guys and gals wanna see for the drones? Bipedal, quad, aerial, etc...?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    BasicallyNuclear and haynesy566 like this.
  12. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

I'm sure if an experience team of modders with nothing better to do, were to take this project on, it could very well be possible. It would require a fair bit of time though, and I honestly dont have time...

13. Inf_Wolf14

Read mah edit. ^

haynesy566 likes this.
  14. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

[​IMG]

This, we need this!

15. Inf_Wolf14

Lol, I'll get started right away!

haynesy566 likes this.
  16. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

I can help if you want, but I dont have much any LUA experienced but I do know JSON. Also I have experience in pixel art, not an amazing artist but could definitely get some designs going[DOUBLEPOST=1433464045][/DOUBLEPOST][​IMG]
    This might be a better model??

17. Inf_Wolf14

Sure, if you want, I have no experience setting up NPCs, so... If you would be so kind...

I think I got pixel art, plus that's the most fun part!

18. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

Me either actually... NPC's are the one area I havent tinkered with yet, but I'm sure we can find some sort of tutorial somewhere...

wait do you mean pathing and such, or imagery?

19. Inf_Wolf14

Hehe, kinda both... I don't know if all NPCs use image parts to compile an entity like player characters, so this may be bad...

haynesy566 likes this.
  20. this_is_VALHALLA

this_is_VALHALLA Space Spelunker

SPIDER drones!!! XP

i will help however i can, i watched some videos on patching and stuff, just tell me what you need me to do and i will figure out how to do it!!