Modding Help MESSAGE TO ALL MODDERS: mod proposal, mine bots

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by this_is_VALHALLA, Jun 3, 2015.

?

would you like to see this mod?

1. yes

90.2%
  2. no

9.8%
  1. this_is_VALHALLA

this_is_VALHALLA Space Spelunker

Message to all modders! I have an idea i would love to see come to life but i can accomplish it on my own (never created a mod so ill need training and help). "Mine Bots" little robotic creatures that you create with the mine bot station. similar to the creature capture station you make it with the ship computer thingy. the station would need some robotics from the wiring station and platinum or other metal. you could upgrade the station through S.A.I.L. to add (more storage, minebot capacity/speed/run time upgrade, )
    higher up minebots would take things like tech cards or processors

these mine bots would run on oil, or the same fuel as the ship. they would be confined to one ore when made so as to not be game breaking, if you wish to change the ore you can dismantle the minebots.

design ideas: (depending on the ore these little robots would look different) one could be a spider, another a mole, worm, or even just a little drill machine)

how the minebot station works:
    SHIP: you place it on your ship and the minebots will beam back and forth to the planet if it has their designated ore.
    PLANET: when placed on planet the mine bots will mine only on that planet, so you will have to travel to that station in order to give them fuel/ collect ores
    FUELING/ORE COLLECTION: you go to the station wich contains storage slots that will be filled up by the minebots (can get full and they will stop working) it also contains feul storage wich the robots will refuel with upon returing.
    minebots will run for a certain amount of time before returning to refuel. (they will stop mining and beam to ship if you jump planets/stars)

cannot be destroyed, only dismantled by owner

additional ideas welcome

if you are interested in making my dream mod a reality please contact me, i will help however i can!

OmegaMinion likes this.
  2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Best Answer
    The idea I have in plan is to have the central operation console which you can use to activate your drones.
    And another "bench" :) , to apply upgrades to the drones like crafting would happen, and combine the components for them.
    Of course my plan of upgrading would require maybe some item you insert to the console which tells what type of drones to spawn...

Or a placable object which would be replaced by an entity once the console is on. (The latter came from some brainstorming earlier, but will be NEIGH IMPOSSIBLE! mostly cause im lazy...)

Edit:
    Cause I suppose this became my new project, what kind of models do you guys and gals wanna see for the drones? Bipedal, quad, aerial, etc...?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    BasicallyNuclear and haynesy566 like this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I have no idea why you posted this in the General Forum Help subforum of Website & Forum Support. This subforum is used for issues regarding the website and forum. Nothing to do with modding.

Moved to the dedicated modding subforum.

this_is_VALHALLA likes this.
  4. this_is_VALHALLA

im still tring to figure this site out, sorry

5. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

This sounds hard.... very hard... but awesome idea!

6. Inf_Wolf14

I don't believe we have scope to induce teleportation of NPCs between player ships and planets yet.
    So... That may be out.

But overall sounds fun!

(Now hope your robots don't create gaping "death pits" on my home world while mining. :) )

7. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

But thats the fun part!!

Inf_Wolf14 and this_is_VALHALLA like this.
  8. this_is_VALHALLA

yea, I'm thinking one central mine entrance and it branches out, or they don't physically mine, just leave for awhile use fuel and bring back ore.... well putting it on a planet makes more sense anyway XP

Kayuko likes this.
  9. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

NPC to ship teleportation is pretty much stretching the modding limits into an unknown void where no man dare go (it will probs crash/destroy/360noscope your game) maybe instead, they mine horizontally, and return to a mining dock placed undeground at the preferred depth. Physically mining is possible and probably a more realistic way of doing things, (otherwise your pretty much just making a fuel grinder)

10. Inf_Wolf14

Hey we can script logical mining paths for these "death pit" bots... It would take forever, and I generally would hate to write that chunk of code... But still possible!

Now that I'm at it, we could script behavior for the bots to follow mining directive while their fuel reserve is at a logical level, then have them return to base when empty.

this_is_VALHALLA and haynesy566 like this.
  11. this_is_VALHALLA

do you know where i can go to learn how to do this? i really want this mod XP

haynesy566 likes this.
  12. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

13. Inf_Wolf14

Oh man you would need to learn an entire programming language... If your up to it there are some sticky threads in the modding directory, but don't expect to pick this up in a day.

this_is_VALHALLA and haynesy566 like this.
  14. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

It took me three days to teach myself basic JSON :headbanging:

15. Inf_Wolf14

Not JSON, Lua for scripting... An entirely different box of cookies.

16. this_is_VALHALLA

well i got all summer! time to get started and probably be defeated!

haynesy566 and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  17. haynesy566

haynesy566 Heliosphere

Oh GAWD dont even get me started on Lua scripting.... thats the stuff of nightmares...[DOUBLEPOST=1433300218][/DOUBLEPOST]
    [​IMG]

18. Inf_Wolf14

Love that enthusiasm! Who knows? I might write some script for this in my down time. :rofl:

Edit: I came to Starbound already knowing Lua :p

19. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

This.
    This ain't even too hard, to be honest.
    But Inf_Wolf is right, ship teleportation is out, at least for now.
    Everything else is pretty much possible.

From my point of view the hardest part will be the pathing and the general statemachine AI, but that'll get a rework in the not-so-far future.
    Scanning a planet for the ores (probably setted in their Json file?) is really easy. That's what oredistributions.configfunctions is for.

So yeah, keep the idea up, it's far from impossible!

20. Inf_Wolf14

Well if they follow a defined path in their script, you can run a loop to test for the tile material in a radius of the current position as it follows orders.

It's easy to do this as long as a functional pathing script can be made to base many of these functions off of. :)

21. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

He won't be able to do it like he initially wanted anyways without a LOT of problems, so I was just counting on the "mysteriously disappear, consume fuel and bring back ore" thing. :D
    For example, first he gotta find a workaround for inactive chunks (which is possible).
    Second, what if the thing gets stuck? He'd need to tell it: If you're stuck, dig your way out.
    Third, lava. 'Kay, the thing might be indestructible, but yeah.
    Fourth, persistance of the inventory itself since it'll be inactive and yet mining.

Then there's the performance thing, imagine it digging on sand planets at complete randomness while you explore, the active chunk workaround (at least as far as I understand it) has 2 possibilities:

Faking the timestamp and simulating the work between point a (you sent him digging and leave the active chunk) and point b (you come back and the chunk gets active).
    This wouldn't be able to simulate digged blocks that easily tho.
    Second one: keeping the chunk the thing is in active all the time, and here's the performance issue.
    You will feel the impact of the sand dropping down in masses wherever you are.

And since that's THIS much more work I'd really really just stick to "mysteriously disappear, consume fuel and bring back ore" for now.
    Everything else can always be patched and updated when he's more experienced.

:kitten: