Merry X-Mas Concerned Ape

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by svesken, Nov 30, 2019.

1. svesken

svesken Aquatic Astronaut

Stardew Valley is one of my favorite games along with the Mount & Blade franchise, both development teams is their own publisher or goverment funded which means they have more time to work on the game itself, and look at that the difference it does to a game like STV.

I have lived by this code for 30 years sticking to developers that only use their own publisher. But that list almost empty, there is only a handful left that has not sold out, mostly indies. One day that list will be gone and so will my love for games and the art of making great games with it.

The majority of games today are rushed crap to be honest, not worth the asking price (all controlled by joja :).

If Steam takes 30%, imagine the meagre sum Concerned Ape get per game, it's not a whole lot is it ?

You may not be rich but you have the love of all your customers and for that i want to wish you a merry Christmas!.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
      Wilsonionium likes this.
    • Wilsonionium

Wilsonionium Void-Bound Voyager

Running With Scissors is also a good example. I'm glad that digital distribution such as steam or gog make developers question the usefulness of game publishers.

• The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Moved to Stardew Valley Discussions

You have to remember that 30% is paying for;
        1. Infinite downloads ( bandwidth isn't free )
        2. Steam matchmaking - otherwise developers need to host their own servers to matchmake games
        3. Workshop support - all that storage space free for players to upload on
        4. Logistical analysis of players \ playtime \ tracking \ interaction

All these things cost money to maintain and develop.

Stardew Valley Sold 3.5 million copies
        If you take out the 30% for distribution that's $36.75 million

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
        • Odd Farmer

Odd Farmer Big Damn Hero

Sticking to the topic: Merry christmas, ConcernedApe! Thank you for this game and the new content, which I'm in love with already.